New Contract

Axon82

Question

Alamy's contract changes this year will leave many contributors worse off, currently on 40/60, potentially dropping to 20/80 next year, compared with the traditional 50/50.

My question is, are Alamy actually doing anything in exchange for their enormous increase?  Like selling more of our photos?  Or achieving higher prices?   I can't say I have noticed much difference since the new contract came into force.  My sales volume has stayed about the same.  Possibly I have had more higher prices, but its really to early to tell.

One thing I can say for certain is that if I don't achieve the $250 sales target by the deadline next year, I will quit and remove all my photos because I think they are just being greedy with 20/80.   Is anyone else thinking of doing the same?

I only use Alamy as a hobby, I don't need the money, and their greed has removed part of the enjoyment for me.

• Love 1
  • Like 4

On 17/12/2021 at 15:08, Axon82 said:

Alamy's contract changes this year will leave many contributors worse off, currently on 40/60, potentially dropping to 20/80 next year, compared with the traditional 50/50.

My question is, are Alamy actually doing anything in exchange for their enormous increase?  Like selling more of our photos?  Or achieving higher prices?   I can't say I have noticed much difference since the new contract came into force.  My sales volume has stayed about the same.  Possibly I have had more higher prices, but its really to early to tell.

One thing I can say for certain is that if I don't achieve the $250 sales target by the deadline next year, I will quit and remove all my photos because I think they are just being greedy with 20/80.   Is anyone else thinking of doing the same?

I only use Alamy as a hobby, I don't need the money, and their greed has removed part of the enjoyment for me.

Well Axon,

The only way, as a formerly working photojournalist and corporate photographer is to write: "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."  I was a working photographer, IE paid for to use of my images since 1976.  I have lived and worked as a photographer in many parts of the world.  I get paid for the use of ALL of my images.   

I do not and have not made images for "fun" since I took pictures of my first cat when I was 12 and was using a 126 instamatic.

Over now more than four decades I have worked with major photo agencies and libraries around the world and I can say that in 2021, Alamy is my favorite library to contribute

to.  

I do not agree with the change to 40/60 and I do think it was a mistake by Alamy.

Chuck Nacke

Edited by Chuck Nacke
grammer
  • Love 3

I don't see that stock relies of professional photographers these days - most of them went off to more profitable ventures long ago. It is the 'crowd' that feeds the beast and is willing to cross subsidise their photography from other income. I have always used the term 'psychological income' for the rewards of the hobbyist - not so much money but validation and a purpose, a feeling that they are actually stock photographers and buyers will hand over money ( even small amounts) for their images. 

Equally the psychology can go the other way if people feel taken for fools.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 5

"Free" is not a term that's used in Apple Land these days. I have to pretend that I'm interested in buying something expensive before they let me into the shop. Coffee? I'm surprised they haven't set up a bar yet to get £5 or £6 a cup; everyone else has. 

On 21/12/2021 at 09:34, Ed Rooney said:

"Free" is not a term that's used in Apple Land these days. I have to pretend that I'm interested in buying something expensive before they let me into the shop. Coffee? I'm surprised they haven't set up a bar yet to get £5 or £6 a cup; everyone else has. 

Apple Land do not want coffee swilling about all over their expensive machinery.

Allan

The Pursuit of Profit....

You have Lemons....also known as  Photographers / Suppliers..

Now your Primary Business is selling lemon juice, so what do you do when you cannot sell more lemon juice due to Market Forces and Declining Profit Margins?

Well you really  put the squeeze on those poor lemons and  make Lemonade..Ok so far so good and Profit Margins are up once again...

Now the accountants start saying "We're starting to lose the Fizz from our Lemonade Profits".....

Here we go again....Squeeze squeeze squeeze...and squeeze some more until you have but peel and pips left!

Now doesn't that just give you the pip...how are we going to make money now 😀

PS....I like many Lemons much preferred the 50/50 Profit Sharing way for keeping the Creative Juices flowing.

PPS..  I know 50/50 would be a more palatable solution...CORDIAL

Edited by William Caram
I like Cordial
  • Like 1

On 17/12/2021 at 20:08, Axon82 said:

currently on 40/60, potentially dropping to 20/80 next year, compared with the traditional 50/50.

Sorry to come in at this late stage but Alamy's commission was never traditional at 50/50. Before that it was 60/40 in favour of the photographer.  The commission has been changing in increments in Alamy's favour for some time with various reasons given.

This last reason where the commission changed to 40/60 in Alamy's favour was the worst of all. The "new" directors, so I am given to understand by statements made on these forums, was that they wanted to bring the contributors cut in line with other picture libraries!

Allan

• Like 3