Spots

Alexander Hog

Question

I was wondering if I could have done better to stop the spots with the street lights I was at 100 iso and 7.1 Could the settings be different any advice would be great Haven't done much night photography I haven't uploaded to Alamy yet in case it got rejected 

May be an image of street, sky, road and night

21 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, Alexander Hog said:

I was wondering if I could have done better to stop the spots with the street lights I was at 100 iso and 7.1 Could the settings be different any advice would be great Haven't done much night photography I haven't uploaded to Alamy yet in case it got rejected 

I’m only viewing your image on an iPhone screen, but it looks as if you have flare around the street lamp lights. To avoid try where possible to avoid shooting into bright lights, though easier said than done. Success can depend upon how flare resistant your lens is, and if you have a filter attached to your lens remove it for this type of photography. I usually avoid flare in night shots, but sometimes you can’t.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I’m only viewing your image on an iPhone screen, but it looks as if you have flare around the street lamp lights. To avoid try where possible to avoid shooting into bright lights, though easier said than done. Success can depend upon how flare resistant your lens is, and if you have a filter attached to your lens remove it for this type of photography. I usually avoid flare in night shots, but sometimes you can’t.

Makes sense I didn't have a filter on There is a lot of street lights in that area unfortunately It seems that the lens isn't flare resistant 

Edited by Alexander Hog

54 minutes ago, Alexander Hog said:

The flare is just ugly, which is not a reason for rejection. No idea what lens this is, but apart from the size of the lights, it's mainly the form of the aperture that causes the shape of the flare. The weird spotty blobs around the lights indicate extra diffusing stuff, probably on a window, but it could also be on a filter or even the front lens if it's dirty or worn enough. Certainly with a wide angle lens. The exposure is quite long, given the light trails of the cars, so it's not falling rain. That would cause overall diffusion, not spottiness.

So if it's not grainy or unsharp, I would just submit it.

If you're unsure, you could put a part of the image online somewhere and give us a link.

Now how could you mitigate the effect of the streetlights? Try HDR to begin with and/or a second exposure with a very small aperture and expose for those highlights.

And try another lens as a comparison. Preferably a prime. And do a test of all apertures, just to see if/how the shape changes and if there enough improvement to your taste to do this with your lens at all. Make sure your front lens is spotlessly clean, because it's something that cannot be remedied in post.

If you're interested in the phenomenon, google for something like lens with nice sun stars.

wim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

The flare is just ugly, which is not a reason for rejection. No idea what lens this is, but apart from the size of the lights, it's mainly the form of the aperture that causes the shape of the flare. The weird spotty blobs around the lights indicate extra diffusing stuff, probably on a window, but it could also be on a filter or even the front lens if it's dirty or worn enough. Certainly with a wide angle lens. The exposure is quite long, given the light trails of the cars, so it's not falling rain. That would cause overall diffusion, not spottiness.

So if it's not grainy or unsharp, I would just submit it.

If you're unsure, you could put a part of the image online somewhere and give us a link.

Now how could you mitigate the effect of the streetlights? Try HDR to begin with and/or a second exposure with a very small aperture and expose for those highlights.

And try another lens as a comparison. Preferably a prime. And do a test of all apertures, just to see if/how the shape changes and if there enough improvement to your taste to do this with your lens at all. Make sure your front lens is spotlessly clean, because it's something that cannot be remedied in post.

If you're interested in the phenomenon, google for something like lens with nice sun stars.

I don't have a prime lens and will go back and try again to see what happens and try your suggestion with HDR and a different lens as well with different settings Am up for a challenge to get I right if I can 

Check the lens.  Remove it and look through it (aperture fully open) while shining a torch from the other end - look for any sign of haziness.  Could be moisture/fungus on the internal elements.  I've had this problem - perfectly fine in daylight but it shows up with pin-point light spots like this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Check the lens.  Remove it and look through it (aperture fully open) while shining a torch from the other end - look for any sign of haziness.  Could be moisture/fungus on the internal elements.  I've had this problem - perfectly fine in daylight but it shows up with pin-point light spots like this.

I have just looked through the lens and looks like spots and a bit of haziness as well Can this be fixed meaning does it have to be sent away to get a fix 

3 minutes ago, Sally said:

Don't know why it has to be f7.1. If there are lights you get a better starburst with a narrow aperture. Here is one I took this week. ISO 400 f18 4s

I have noticed on my camera at ISO 400 brings in a lot of noise Will try tomorrow again and change the settings and see what happens Somebody mentioned that is what he always used for night photography but I know it doesn't suit every camera 

1 minute ago, Alexander Hog said:

I have noticed on my camera at ISO 400 brings in a lot of noise Will try tomorrow again and change the settings and see what happens Somebody mentioned that is what he always used for night photography but I know it doesn't suit every camera 

Depends on the camera of course. And a long exposure increases the noise too. But you can get rid of it easily enough.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Alexander Hog said:

I have just looked through the lens and looks like spots and a bit of haziness as well Can this be fixed meaning does it have to be sent away to get a fix 

Your pic looks like it could be condensation on the lens causing the fogging. Looks like a bit of a damp misty night on a cold bit of glass.

Edited by Martin L

3 hours ago, Alexander Hog said:

If it's on the internal elements then it's probably a workshop job I'm afraid.  You could send it to Lehmanns in Stoke on Trent, they will give you an estimate so you can decide whether it's worth the cost.

Other repair shops are available no doubt but Lehmanns is the only one I've used (only twice but no complaints). 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

If it's on the internal elements then it's probably a workshop job I'm afraid.  You could send it to Lehmanns in Stoke on Trent, they will give you an estimate so you can decide whether it's worth the cost.

Other repair shops are available no doubt but Lehmanns is the only one I've used (only twice but no complaints). 

Looks like internal Damn Thanks