Jump to content

December 2021 Favourite Uploads.


aphperspective
 Share

Recommended Posts

Some of the very first shots I took with my Nikon D70, 6.1mp first digital camera was of bugs. I was fascinated. 
This was taken with that camera, I’m pretty sure. A Damselfly that was tinier than it looks.

APGEDH.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, gvallee said:

 

I look forward to seeing the results. We very often only realise it's breezy when we try to take macro shots. In your case, it sounded more windy than breezy. Insects are quite a challenge to photograph. That was the attraction for me in the first place. 

It was howling with wind, but after a rainy day yesterday, I was determined to get out for a while. Hubby weighs in at 120kg, and he reckoned the wind was blowing him around when I went crook as he held a branch still for me, and it was moving..........

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

More bugs from the latest upload

A Spittlebug nymph, almost adult. These nymphs live in the middle of a ball of "spit" foam to avoid dehydration. Getting a photo needs patience and care, and I always make sure to recover the bug when I'm finished. Bug is about 8mm.

instar-of-the-common-spittlebug-philagra

 

instar-of-the-common-spittlebug-philagra

 

The nymph of the large shield bug that I posted a few days ago, looks completely different, but still a stunning thing to see.

oncomerinae-shield-bug-rhoecus-australas

 

A large cicada on a blade of grass

 

razor-grinder-cicada-henicopsaltria-eydo

 

  • Love 2
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For peeps interested in mining, here are interesting facts about the Gwalia Gold Mine near Leonora in Western Australia:

. it's the world deepest trucking mine in the world at 1,600m below surface

. the average underground truck speed is 10kph. It takes approximately 80 minutes for a truck to travel the 11.5km from the 1,600m below surface to the surface on  a 1 in 7 (14%) gradient

. the mine operates 24/7/365 and the bar gold produced is 91% gold

. last but not least, its first manager in 1897 was Herbert Hoover, who later became the 31st President of the United States (1929-1933).

 

2HC122T.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/12/2021 at 23:07, gvallee said:

For peeps interested in mining, here are interesting facts about the Gwalia Gold Mine near Leonora in Western Australia:

. it's the world deepest trucking mine in the world at 1,600m below surface

. the average underground truck speed is 10kph. It takes approximately 80 minutes for a truck to travel the 11.5km from the 1,600m below surface to the surface on  a 1 in 7 (14%) gradient

. the mine operates 24/7/365 and the bar gold produced is 91% gold

. last but not least, its first manager in 1897 was Herbert Hoover, who later became the 31st President of the United States (1929-1933).

 

2HC122T.jpg

😁 Maybe that’s where he got the idea for the Hoover Dam….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

😁 Maybe that’s where he got the idea for the Hoover Dam….

 

Hoover was a very young brilliant engineer. He designed the inclined headframe for the mine and also the impressive house overlooking the mine.

I have visited the Hoover Dam in January 2006 according to the exif data. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

More offerings from me, bugs and bats this time. I was really happy to get the flying fox pup tucked almost out of sight under Mum's wing. Getting both eyes of the pup was almost a miracle. I have more to come later, of another flying fox with a pup on her chest.
grey-headed-flying-foxes-pteropus-polioc

 

Another "lucky" shot, a jumper ant with prey.

jumper-ant-also-knwn-as-jumping-jack-ant

Ask any Aussie about March flies..........big and ugly and they bite. I shot this and it flew away.........and sneaky thing landed on the back of my calf and bit me through my leggings.

australian-common-march-fly-also-known-a
 

  • Love 2
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My last upload of they year. More bugs and mum flying fox & pup.
 

Sooooo cute!
grey-headed-flying-foxes-pteropus-polioc

 

Check out the spike/spear that this assassin bug uses to spear its prey, I'd hate to get stuck by one. And this guy is still not adult.

 

assassin-bug-nymph-or-instar-possibly-co

 

This is the predatory larvae of the Mealybug Ladybird, looks like a blob of cotton wool most of the time.
white-predatory-ladybird-larvae-of-the-m

 

One of our very cutest of spiders

two-spined-spider-poecilopachys-australa

 

 

  • Love 1
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cbimages said:

My last upload of they year. More bugs and mum flying fox & pup.
 

Sooooo cute!
grey-headed-flying-foxes-pteropus-polioc

 

Check out the spike/spear that this assassin bug uses to spear its prey, I'd hate to get stuck by one. And this guy is still not adult.

 

assassin-bug-nymph-or-instar-possibly-co

 

This is the predatory larvae of the Mealybug Ladybird, looks like a blob of cotton wool most of the time.
white-predatory-ladybird-larvae-of-the-m

 

One of our very cutest of spiders

two-spined-spider-poecilopachys-australa

 

 

 

I showed some of your bugs (and underwater creatures) to some friends the other evening. They were so amazed. They are both artists and loving the colors and patterns. 

 

Paulette

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cbimages said:

My last upload of they year. More bugs and mum flying fox & pup.
 

Sooooo cute!
grey-headed-flying-foxes-pteropus-polioc

 

Check out the spike/spear that this assassin bug uses to spear its prey, I'd hate to get stuck by one. And this guy is still not adult.

 

assassin-bug-nymph-or-instar-possibly-co

 

This is the predatory larvae of the Mealybug Ladybird, looks like a blob of cotton wool most of the time.
white-predatory-ladybird-larvae-of-the-m

 

One of our very cutest of spiders

two-spined-spider-poecilopachys-australa

 

 

 

What a lovely crop to end the year!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coming to get you

coming-to-get-you-2HA8GH8.jpg
 
(Also available on P4M)😉
 

Lincoln central bus station from Pelham bridge

lincoln-central-bus-station-from-pelham-bridge-2021-2HA8HD2.jpg
 
 
 
Lincoln central car park adjacent to bus atation from Pelham bridge
 
lincoln-central-car-park-adjacent-to-bus-atation-from-pelham-bridge-2021-2HA8HFA.jpg
 
 

Lincoln city railway station looking west from Pelham bridge

lincoln-city-railway-station-looking-west-from-pelham-bridge-2021-2HA8HK1.jpg
 
 

Tugboat trips small narrowboat traveling on River Witham Lincoln city

tugboat-trips-small-narrowboat-traveling-on-river-witham-lincoln-city-2021-2HA8K80.jpg
 
 

Poster statement by young boy Waterside south Lincoln city

poster-statement-by-young-boy-waterside-south-lincoln-city-2021-2HB0NR9.jpg
 
I agree with his sentiments.

Shops on west side of lower Steep Hill Lincoln cityshops-on-west-side-of-lower-steep-hill-lincoln-city-2021-2HB756C.jpg

 

Inside Grayz Tea Room, Gordon Road, Lincoln city

inside-grayz-tea-room-gordon-road-lincoln-city-2021-2HBBDET.jpg
 
 

Evening sun on Lincoln cathedral towers Minster Yard

evening-sun-on-lincoln-cathedral-towers-minster-yard-2021-2HBBCMN.jpg
 
 
Next time I post it will be from 2022.
 
Allan
 
Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.