Images sold in December 2021

29 minutes ago, Sally said:

Sorry no further information specifically. I think the expressions are simply the product of the era. It’s taken at the turn of the 20th century in NY. Nothing sinister. My great-aunt is sitting on the windowsill left hand side. A small town school.

I was thinking that was the case. I have plenty of family photos from the early 1900’s and rarely are there any smiles.  I think it came partially from early photos being taken with slower shutter speeds and people had to hold still and not be so animated.

Two sales - the first presentation (since PU not allowed)

Carmel New York, 7 Sept 2015:  Row boats dinghies lined up and ready for boaters to enjoy on the last day of the Stock Photo

The second, both from the same state park, is personal use:

Carmel New York, 7 Sept 2015:  Beachgoers enjoy the last day of the summer season at Canopus Lake at Clarence Fahnestock Stock Photo

I'm suspicious of the uses, but got the full US price for each, which is better than the last several sales I've had, but will be watching out for online use. 

4 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I was thinking that was the case. I have plenty of family photos from the early 1900’s and rarely are there any smiles.  I think it came partially from early photos being taken with slower shutter speeds and people had to hold still and not be so animated.

Every image I saw of my great grandparents were the same somber expressions. That’s just the way it was back then. It’s very hard to hold a perfect smile, it tends to distort and look unnatural after a few seconds.  When you have a group of people, even harder.
It took longer to take a photo then. Also, photographs were few and far between. Possibly true features were prized…the natural shape of eyes and lips.

Another micro sale............leaving me 52 cents. And a client with an image forever.
Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: General business services
Image Size: Any size
Start: 01 November 2021
Duration: In perpetuity Lithuania, Editorial website

AKJHHG.jpg

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cbimages said:

Another micro sale............leaving me 52 cents. And a client with an image forever.
Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: General business services
Image Size: Any size
Start: 01 November 2021
Duration: In perpetuity Lithuania, Editorial website

AKJHHG.jpg

Same buyer as mine (see above) -- Lithuania forever!

Edited by John Mitchell

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Every image I saw of my great grandparents were the same somber expressions. That’s just the way it was back then. It’s very hard to hold a perfect smile, it tends to distort and look unnatural after a few seconds.  When you have a group of people, even harder.
It took longer to take a photo then. Also, photographs were few and far between. Possibly true features were prized…the natural shape of eyes and lips.

Old photos of my relatives taken in the early years of the 20th century all feature dour expressions. Forced smiling in photos seems to be a fairly recent development. It's one of the reasons I usually feel uncomfortable when someone takes my picture. I'm not very good at faking smiles. Fortunately, this month's challenge has plenty of real ones. 🙂

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Film in them days was super slow! 25ASA(ISO) was considered fast so exposure times were long, the set up time was long, big cameras, focus on glass screen then load a darkslide with film onto the back of the camera, remove the slide, open the shutter... All very formal and precise. Nothing like what we can do today!!!

Phil

1 hour ago, Phil Crean said:

Film in them days was super slow! 25ASA(ISO) was considered fast so exposure times were long, the set up time was long, big cameras, focus on glass screen then load a darkslide with film onto the back of the camera, remove the slide, open the shutter... All very formal and precise. Nothing like what we can do today!!!

Phil

I still have my 4x5 camera, a metal folding Toyo 45a field camera, plus around 30 DDS and 6 lenses. Also a Technika view camera with 2 metal DS, one leaks though. It came in a very nice velvet lined wooden cary case. It originally used 6 x 9 cm cut film. I used 2 of its lenses on the Toyo. The 65mm was nice and wide on the Toyo, but needed careful adjustment as it barely covered 4x5.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I still have my 4x5 camera, a metal folding Toyo 45a field camera, plus around 30 DDS and 6 lenses. Also a Technika view camera with 2 metal DS, one leaks though. It came in a very nice velvet lined wooden cary case. It originally used 6 x 9 cm cut film. I used 2 of its lenses on the Toyo. The 65mm was nice and wide on the Toyo, but needed careful adjustment as it barely covered 4x5.

I've thought a few times about getting a large format for landscape work, then the cost, weight, time, build a darkroom/no space reality sinks in and I decide to stick with my full frame digital which gives an amazing quality and in lots of ways is favourably comparable to medium format film, and if I want that olde worlde film look there's lots of ways to achieve it using software.

I do love film though!!!😏

Phil

Magnificent mosaics decorate the walls and ceiling of the Rotunda of Galerius, a popular tourist destination in the city of Thessaloniki, Greece - Image ID: PCYGTE

Usage: Presentation or newsletters, Use in a presentation/talk (eg,Powerpoint and Keynote) or in a newsletter.
Start: 11 December 2021
Duration: In perpetuity (must be a long presentation...!)

$

Also thinking I should have raised the overall exposure for this, looking at it now.....

magnificent-mosaics-decorate-the-walls-a

Edited by Steve F
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Magnificent mosaics decorate the walls and ceiling of the Rotunda of Galerius, a popular tourist destination in the city of Thessaloniki, Greece - Image ID: PCYGTE

Usage: Presentation or newsletters, Use in a presentation/talk (eg,Powerpoint and Keynote) or in a newsletter.

$

Also thinking I should have raised the overall exposure for this, looking at it now.....

The question is if the raised overall exposure would raise the potential fee? Who knows! 🙄

Ballarat Australia / Bags of horse manure for sale for use as garden fertilizer in Victoria Australia. 

- Image ID: D2MXEA

Sold for Editorial Print and Digital Use for $23.35

There's money in Horse Poo..this is the second time this has sold

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjNvM6d6d_0AhVqxDgGHZ6HChMQFnoECA0QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.alamy.com%2Fstock-photo-ballarat-australia-bags-of-horse-manure-for-sale-for-use-as-garden-53320242.html&usg=AOvVaw3VGJAvf-dVvNruySgiiDuV

Edited by William Caram
  • Like 1

Nice to have four drop in this morning, but prices not nice. My share for all about $12. Boo.

For only $. Taken in St.Croix. Two others from this trip were sold along with this one. Culture trip?

F617C9.jpg

Also $.  Backside of Buck Island, the area where we snorkeled the coral reef and I nearly drowned.

F7FTE6.jpg

$$

T2PGY9.jpg

$ again

F8CM7A.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue

On 12/12/2021 at 12:13, Steve F said:

$

I think my usual clar/sat/vib recipé would have helped with that as well. Classical mosaics are usually very vibrant, and I've been to Ravenna! Similar period and style.

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

I think my usual clar/sat/vib recipé would have helped with that as well. Classical mosaics are usually very vibrant, and I've been to Ravenna! Similar period and style.

Thanks. I think my editing is better these days. But maybe I was thinking of keeping the mood the same as when I was actually there, rather than making it look like a more decent photo (??) - would go with better photo these days!!

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/KN8XKN/death-valley-badwater-basin-trailhead-and-boardwalk-with-visitors-KN8XKN.jpg

Death Valley Badwater Basin. Worldwide. Editorial website and app multiple use, in perpetuity. Low $.

Btw already 2 of last month sales have been refunded and come back, fortunately at the same price. It does however skew the numbers a bit.

wim

• Love 3