Jump to content

Alamy tweet - "Appeal to our customers with archive imagery."


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

after the ordeal trying to get access to reportage, i don't think so. 

Yes, I was thinking of your (negative) experience as I read it, I've never tried myself but had been thinking of doing so now that the nights draw in and 'scanning' seems like a more attractive proposition. It's odd that they refer to their 'customers' so first of all they have to become contributors and then presumably expect to be able to upload their archive images straightaway. Possibly not as simple as they make it sound.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, I was thinking of your (negative) experience as I read it, I've never tried myself but had been thinking of doing so now that the nights draw in and 'scanning' seems like a more attractive proposition. It's odd that they refer to their 'customers' so first of all they have to become contributors and then presumably expect to be able to upload their archive images straightaway. Possibly not as simple as they make it sound.

 

 

if you were going to scan then regardless, you should probably do it, but the effort of doing it just to go through the hoops hoping Alamy would support, i am not sure i would.  I was considering getting organised as i now have access to some of my old images, and like most other thing, i have totally lost my drive for now.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

if you were going to scan then regardless, you should probably do it, but the effort of doing it just to go through the hoops hoping Alamy would support, i am not sure i would.

Yes, thanks, need to do it anyway really.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Possibly not as simple as they make it sound.

It's quite simple. Don't upload photos that no one buys. Just two or three photos for a global ad campaign. It won't cost a lot of effort.

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Has anyone here had a single sale for a global ad campaign?? I don't believe I have.  Been here for 16 years, with now, nearly 9,000 photos.

I would not be so skeptical, they will definitely sell soon

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Has anyone here had a single sale for a global ad campaign?? I don't believe I have.  Been here for 16 years, with now, nearly 9,000 photos.

 

Not yet, but I've got my fingers crossed. 🤞

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

You pessimist, you. And you’re right!

I suppose you're right too. I'm willing to look on the bright side when the evidence supports it, though.🤪🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

 

 

if you were going to scan then regardless, you should probably do it, but the effort of doing it just to go through the hoops hoping Alamy would support, i am not sure i would.  I was considering getting organised as i now have access to some of my old images, and like most other thing, i have totally lost my drive for now.  


Too true. I have already separated what could be saleable negs from my collection, but never in a lifetime could they be be used for a global ad campaign. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I suppose you're right too. I'm willing to look on the bright side when the evidence supports it, though.🤪🙂

 

i guess i am not as pessimistic as you, all i had envisioned was the size of the "affiliate link" charge back at the end of the month 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Has anyone here had a single sale for a global ad campaign?? I don't believe I have.  Been here for 16 years, with now, nearly 9,000 photos.

Yes, had just one over 10 years ago and it was a scan from 35mm. Fee was well into 5 figures so both Alamy and myself would like another. But I'm not holding my breath

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

Personally, I was more struck by the irony of the tweet that states "A large proportion of the population are standing up and demanding change."

 

Yes - that jumped out at me as well.    Hardly an accurate assertion.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Phil said:

 

Yes - that jumped out at me as well.    Hardly an accurate assertion.

 

 

 

 

Phil, I think you are missing the point. A large proportion of the active forum population have been demanding change....from Alamy.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Phil, I think you are missing the point. A large proportion of the active forum population have been demanding change....from Alamy.

 

I understand the implied reference to Alamy's forum population.

 

My comment was intended to point out how Alamy's Twitter post assertion made with clips of protestors broadly implies that large proportions of (countries/states/cities/etc) populations are openly protesting for change is misleading/inaccurate.

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Phil said:

 

I understand the implied reference to Alamy's forum population.

 

My comment was intended to point out how Alamy's Twitter post assertion made with clips of protestors broadly implies that large proportions of (countries/states/cities/etc) populations are openly protesting for change is misleading/inaccurate.

 

 

It is hardly surprising that a stock photo agency wants pictures of those who are out protesting rather than those who aren't. There  are certainly plenty of protests going on around the world.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

 

It is hardly surprising that a stock photo agency wants pictures of those who are out protesting rather than those who aren't. There  are certainly plenty of protests going on around the world.

 

Too true. I was, and might still do, travel into London to photograph 3 today, and I often come across more. I'm dithering wether too, as the weather is likely to be foul. Time to decide soon or I'll miss the boat. If not I've a few hundred images edited but needing captioning and tagging to keep me indoors and busy.

 

Edit: I did decide to head into London.

Edited by sb photos
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sb photos said:

 

Too true. I was, and might still do, travel into London to photograph 3 today, and I often come across more. I'm dithering wether too, as the weather is likely to be foul. Time to decide soon or I'll miss the boat. If not I've a few hundred images edited but needing captioning and tagging to keep me indoors and busy.

A wether is a castrated sheep - go on your own, the sheep may hinder you ! 😀

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.