Jump to content

Recommended Posts

 

30 years younger? 45 years younger would work for me. 

 

Hills? A friend suggested Porto as a place I might like to live. Yikes, you can't take a step anywhere in that town without going up or down. 

 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 

I used to live and work there back in the 1970's.  Hills Pah!  You should come to Lincoln for hills. Well at least one of them.

 

Allan

 

it's not as much the size as their omnipresence to go anywhere, and how the city does not make any allowance for cyclists in their road design. For example on the Halifax-Dartmouth bridge, cars get to drive onto the bridge or get a nice slopping ramp depending of access point, cyclist have to drop to see level go under the bridge, make an hairpin turn unto a sidewalk losing any momentum and climb back to bridge.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Me, I would like to be shooting cafe life along the Left Bank in Paris or the locals walking along with a tower of rice cakes balanced on their heads in Bali. Instead, yesterday I captured this scene here in Liverpool. 

 

2H7813Y.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

it's not as much the size as their omnipresence to go anywhere, and how the city does not make any allowance for cyclists in their road design. For example on the Halifax-Dartmouth bridge, cars get to drive onto the bridge or get a nice slopping ramp depending of access point, cyclist have to drop to see level go under the bridge, make an hairpin turn unto a sidewalk losing any momentum and climb back to bridge.  

Sorry, but Alan lives in Lincoln and he means Halifax in Yorkshire. Halifax is over 500km. from Dartmouth. That would be some bridge.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Hills Pah!  You should come to Lincoln for hills. Well at least one of them.

Hills Should come up to Scotland plenty up here especially west coast Many Munros plenty exercise Good for jogging, cycling etc 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Hills Pah!  You should come to Lincoln for hills. Well at least one of them.

Hills Should come up to Scotland plenty up here especially west coast Many Munros plenty exercise Good for jogging, cycling etc 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Travel always makes me more productive in a photographic way. However, I don't see much of that in my immediate future for a number of reasons. 

 

That said, Marcel Proust had the right idea:

 

“The real voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.”
 
Such a great quote...
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Alexander Hog said:

Hills Should come up to Scotland plenty up here especially west coast Many Munros plenty exercise Good for jogging, cycling etc 

 

 

how much exercise do you need a day?  Not every errand, photo shoot needs to be exercise. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

That said, Marcel Proust had the right idea:

 

“The real voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.”

 

I've used that quote in my book (of course, Marcel wasn't always so succinct!)...

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 Travel always makes me more productive in a photographic way. However, I don't see much of that in my immediate future for a number of reasons. 

 

That said, Marcel Proust had the right idea:

 

“The real voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.”
 
Such a great quote...

 

i thought moving to a new city would do it for a few months at least for me, but at least from a stock stand point it hasn't, not helped by fact most of my licensing recently seem to be bleak news subject.  I miss Mexican random parades

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

 

i thought moving to a new city would do it for a few months at least for me, but at least from a stock stand point it hasn't, not helped by fact most of my licensing recently seem to be bleak news subject.  I miss Mexican random parades

 

 

 

I too get homesick for the randomness of Mexico. Canada starts to feel awfully predictable after awhile.

 

I heard about the rain coming your way. Hope the storm isn't too bad. If worse comes to worst, you can always attach pontoons to your bike. They might help with the hills.

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

I too get homesick for the randomness of Mexico. Canada starts to feel awfully predictable after awhile.

 

I heard about the rain coming your way. Hope the storm isn't too bad. If worse comes to worst, you can always attach pontoons to your bike. They might help with the hills.

 

 

 

 

storm hasn't started yet except for the wind so far, most of heavy rain is tonight/overnight .  locals seem to be making a big fuss of it, so i am ready to hunker down. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

 

I've used that quote in my book (of course, Marcel wasn't always so succinct!)...

 

That's for sure. He was a man of many words. I stick with quotes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Me, I would like to be shooting cafe life along the Left Bank in Paris or the locals walking along with a tower of rice cakes balanced on their heads in Bali. Instead, yesterday I captured this scene here in Liverpool. 

 

2H7813Y.jpg

 

 

I've got that one beat (which reminds me, I need to add "gender-fluid" to the keywords). 😁

 

unisex-toilet-sign-with-a-mixed-sex-pictogram-vancouver-bc-canada-2AC3TTE.jpg

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If productivity is related only to stock then there isn't much beyond the obvious... more $$$!

Stock is a commodity now and there isn't any other incentive.

 

However for photography in general I find exploring new ideas, different ways of looking at things, and getting more abstract is what gets me producing.

It can sometimes provide stock material but that's not my main purpose. I'm more interested in where it takes me on a creative/artistic journey.

 

Phil

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, spacecadet said:

 

Sorry, but Alan lives in Lincoln and he means Halifax in Yorkshire. Halifax is over 500km. from Dartmouth. That would be some bridge.

 

 

The real Halifax also has hills of course. Luckily my knees can still cope with them - but only just!

 

Alan

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be motivating to have just a slither of good news emerge from the stock photography business. 

 

Something positive from Alamy - not just Twitter talk/rebranding - something actually intentionally to reward and incentivise contributors.

 

But not holding my breathe - we are just part of the crowd. 

 

I haven't contributed since April/May and can't see much point. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

It would be motivating to have just a slither of good news emerge from the stock photography business. 

 

Something positive from Alamy - not just Twitter talk/rebranding - something actually intentionally to reward and incentivise contributors.

 

But not holding my breathe - we are just part of the crowd. 

 

I haven't contributed since April/May and can't see much point. 

 

Wish Alamy would post more on the forums instead of twitter.

 

Allan

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.