What Would Make You More Productive?

Me, I would like to be shooting cafe life along the Left Bank in Paris or the locals walking along with a tower of rice cakes balanced on their heads in Bali. Instead, yesterday I captured this scene here in Liverpool. 

2H7813Y.jpg

• Love 1

23 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

it's not as much the size as their omnipresence to go anywhere, and how the city does not make any allowance for cyclists in their road design. For example on the Halifax-Dartmouth bridge, cars get to drive onto the bridge or get a nice slopping ramp depending of access point, cyclist have to drop to see level go under the bridge, make an hairpin turn unto a sidewalk losing any momentum and climb back to bridge.  

Sorry, but Alan lives in Lincoln and he means Halifax in Yorkshire. Halifax is over 500km. from Dartmouth. That would be some bridge.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

Travel always makes me more productive in a photographic way. However, I don't see much of that in my immediate future for a number of reasons. 

That said, Marcel Proust had the right idea:

“The real voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.”

Such a great quote...
  • Love 2
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

“The real voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.”

I've used that quote in my book (of course, Marcel wasn't always so succinct!)...

23 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Travel always makes me more productive in a photographic way. However, I don't see much of that in my immediate future for a number of reasons. 

Such a great quote...

i thought moving to a new city would do it for a few months at least for me, but at least from a stock stand point it hasn't, not helped by fact most of my licensing recently seem to be bleak news subject.  I miss Mexican random parades

4 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

i thought moving to a new city would do it for a few months at least for me, but at least from a stock stand point it hasn't, not helped by fact most of my licensing recently seem to be bleak news subject.  I miss Mexican random parades

I too get homesick for the randomness of Mexico. Canada starts to feel awfully predictable after awhile.

I heard about the rain coming your way. Hope the storm isn't too bad. If worse comes to worst, you can always attach pontoons to your bike. They might help with the hills.

7 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I too get homesick for the randomness of Mexico. Canada starts to feel awfully predictable after awhile.

I heard about the rain coming your way. Hope the storm isn't too bad. If worse comes to worst, you can always attach pontoons to your bike. They might help with the hills.

storm hasn't started yet except for the wind so far, most of heavy rain is tonight/overnight .  locals seem to be making a big fuss of it, so i am ready to hunker down. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Me, I would like to be shooting cafe life along the Left Bank in Paris or the locals walking along with a tower of rice cakes balanced on their heads in Bali. Instead, yesterday I captured this scene here in Liverpool. 

2H7813Y.jpg

I've got that one beat (which reminds me, I need to add "gender-fluid" to the keywords). 😁

unisex-toilet-sign-with-a-mixed-sex-pictogram-vancouver-bc-canada-2AC3TTE.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

If productivity is related only to stock then there isn't much beyond the obvious... more $$$!

Stock is a commodity now and there isn't any other incentive.

However for photography in general I find exploring new ideas, different ways of looking at things, and getting more abstract is what gets me producing.

It can sometimes provide stock material but that's not my main purpose. I'm more interested in where it takes me on a creative/artistic journey.

Phil

14 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Sorry, but Alan lives in Lincoln and he means Halifax in Yorkshire. Halifax is over 500km. from Dartmouth. That would be some bridge.

The real Halifax also has hills of course. Luckily my knees can still cope with them - but only just!

Alan

It would be motivating to have just a slither of good news emerge from the stock photography business. 

Something positive from Alamy - not just Twitter talk/rebranding - something actually intentionally to reward and incentivise contributors.

But not holding my breathe - we are just part of the crowd. 

I haven't contributed since April/May and can't see much point. 

• Love 1
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

It would be motivating to have just a slither of good news emerge from the stock photography business. 

Something positive from Alamy - not just Twitter talk/rebranding - something actually intentionally to reward and incentivise contributors.

Wish Alamy would post more on the forums instead of twitter.

Allan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Very sporting of you to allow the rest of us to catch up!😇

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I'm in Ian's shoes as well. 

What I need to make me productive is motivation.  Not so much to take the images, I have about a thousand sitting on SD cards, but to do the slog stuff like post processing and keywording.  I have little or no motivation for work for next to no return.  Since I am heading into a quiet time for my real business, I might finally go through all the shots and upload some, maybe, if I can get myself motivated, as Alamy certainly isn't providing me with any motivation.

Jill

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I'm in Ian's shoes as well. 

What I need to make me productive is motivation.  Not so much to take the images, I have about a thousand sitting on SD cards, but to do the slog stuff like post processing and keywording.  I have little or no motivation for work for next to no return.  Since I am heading into a quiet time for my real business, I might finally go through all the shots and upload some, maybe, if I can get myself motivated, as Alamy certainly isn't providing me with any motivation.

Jill

Sadly, being more productive is becoming counterproductive. Perhaps if everyone became less productive for a couple of years, then things might improve.

Just sayin'... 🙄

• Love 4
  • Like 4