Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Now that iPhone image quality has improved with optical zooms, multiple lenses, larger photo-sites and wider apertures...are the images accepted by Alamy?

 

Surely they are good enough for many media applications....anyone know?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

 

I bought my iPhone X specifically to submit to the app-that-shall-not-be-named. But, while I have more than a few hundred images on the app, I get easily frustrated with the acceptance process/rejections and using the tiny app keyboard for tagging and writing captions. I'd rather submit to Alamy, where everything I've ever submitted is accepted - and I don't have to manipulate my images to get them accepted. I was wondering myself if Alamy will take iPhone images too. I'd like to level up and trade in my X for a 13 Pro. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This sounds promising:

 

"If you were an Alamy contributor before we launched Stockimo (Feb 4, 2014), we’ll give you the same commission split you have with us through Alamy (50% compared to the Stockimo standard 20%). "

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

we’ll give you the same commission split you have with us through Alamy

But that "same" is now 40% isn't it? They've forgotten to update it.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

My guess is that Alamy isn’t going to change their policy mainly due to the app. That said, I bought an iPhone 12 Pro Max a year ago. I was using a Canon G16 that I picked up on eBay as a carry around just in case camera. This is one of the few small sensor compacts that was on the old suitable cameras list and it generated several image sales. But, the iPhone simply has better image quality. Better dynamic range, better exposure metering and better color, even with the two cameras other than the main camera. The main camera has a sensor about the same size as the G16, the other two are smaller.

 

Such is the power of computational photography. If a camera manufacturer came out with a compact with a sensor the size of the G16’s that featured computational photography, I think a fair number of photographers would buy it. I still prefer the haptics of a camera over a phone. And they’d have to put in a lidar sensor for portrait mode. I’ve now done a couple of paid headshots with the phone in that mode and the customers are very happy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TABan said:

My guess is that Alamy isn’t going to change their policy mainly due to the app. That said, I bought an iPhone 12 Pro Max a year ago. I was using a Canon G16 that I picked up on eBay as a carry around just in case camera. This is one of the few small sensor compacts that was on the old suitable cameras list and it generated several image sales. But, the iPhone simply has better image quality. Better dynamic range, better exposure metering and better color, even with the two cameras other than the main camera. The main camera has a sensor about the same size as the G16, the other two are smaller.

 

Such is the power of computational photography. If a camera manufacturer came out with a compact with a sensor the size of the G16’s that featured computational photography, I think a fair number of photographers would buy it. I still prefer the haptics of a camera over a phone. And they’d have to put in a lidar sensor for portrait mode. I’ve now done a couple of paid headshots with the phone in that mode and the customers are very happy.

I have the same model iPhone as you, and yes, the images, in my opinion, are worthy of regular stock. Of course, certain images, such as macro, I want my Fuji. Or when I need to zoom with long lenses.  But I have taken many images that I considered really good, and wished for regular stock access. Late model phone cameras most certainly could work hand-in-hand with one’s regular cameras.

I’m wondering if Alamy’s refusal to allow access is more about QC. Possibly there could be more failures from phone cameras in the wrong hands, making QC more difficult.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/12/2021 at 02:54, geogphotos said:

This sounds promising:

 

"If you were an Alamy contributor before we launched Stockimo (Feb 4, 2014), we’ll give you the same commission split you have with us through Alamy (50% compared to the Stockimo standard 20%). "

 

Wow didn't realize it was that long ago that the app was launched.  Seems like just a few years ago.  A sure sign I'm getting old!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.