Clarification of property

Danni

Question

Hi, this is my first question! And it's in regard to property. I'm assuming property covers possessions, so where do we draw the line?  For eg, I have some pics of hot air balloons. There are no brand names on them, but they obviously belong to someone. So would I answer property as yes and release as no?

Thanks 🙂

5 minutes ago, gvallee said:

While not directly related to the exact topic Harry, this exercise reminded me of an oddity years ago. Is it still the case, I don't know.

I once queried Alamy why one of my images had been selected when Measures clearly showed that the client had filtered his search by 'Property release = Yes'. I had no such release because there was no property in the image. Alamy replied that in case a release is not needed (because there is no property), then the default is Yes. 

I shall add that I do not recall if it was for property or for persons. Perhaps both.

this makes sense i guess.  If someone claims there is "No Property", the content is therefore released from a Stock Photography stand point. 

10 hours ago, gvallee said:

I once queried Alamy why one of my images had been selected when Measures clearly showed that the client had filtered his search by 'Property release = Yes'. I had no such release because there was no property in the image. Alamy replied that in case a release is not needed (because there is no property), then the default is Yes. 

I shall add that I do not recall if it was for property or for persons. Perhaps both.

Thanks Gen, that's the sort of extra insight that I was hoping to reveal. In fact I think this is more to do with how Alamy have configured their search so, for the potential buyer, checking the boxes for (presumably either) 'Property released' or 'Model released' will also include images that are marked as 'No property' or '0 People' even though they will of course have no releases. This also means that the defaults (i.e. without entering anything relating to models or property yourself in the optional tab) will mean that your images will be automatically included.

Before I looked at this I was thinking, like Martin L suggested above, that unless you entered something there would be some kind of 'holding' value  that would be changed once you entered something, but that way the images would be 'stateless' so I think Alamy are right to do it this way.

Edit:

I suppose it also means that if we, in order to err on the safe side, say that an image does contain property, a distant farmhouse, a disembodied hand, someone's cow or tractor, when of course we don't have releases, that those images would not come up in such a search. We all have to decide whether that is what we want to happen.

Edited by Harry Harrison