Jump to content

Recommended Posts

People pay ridiculous prices for coffee at horrid coffee chains and have invented a whole new vocabulary for a cuppa, but I don't fancy my chances of making a buck trying to sell prints there

Edited by Robert M Estall
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard that someone followed a busker, after he had finished his act, around a few streets then saw him get into the driving seat of a fairly new Rolls.

 

Allan

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I heard that someone followed a busker, after he had finished his act, around a few streets then saw him get into the driving seat of a fairly new Rolls.

 

Allan

 

 

A venerable urban myth, I'm afraid...

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I realise that market forces are what they are. However, I do have to wonder at being paid 22 cents each for 6 photos, all on the same theme of deckhands on ships.  If this is a taste of future payments then it really is hardly worth the time and effort.

  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to love going out on nice days, different places, since retiring that is. Now it just feels like I am subsidising Alamy, so I rarely go out now unless for another reason.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

 A photo opportunity has just cropped up for me later this year. It would be a wonderful experience too at A cost of ££.

Then I think hmmm would it be worth it just to put some pictures up on Alamy?

 

Allan

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 A photo opportunity has just cropped up for me later this year. It would be a wonderful experience too at A cost of ££.

Then I think hmmm would it be worth it just to put some pictures up on Alamy?

 

Allan

 


Depends upon wether it is something interesting you would really enjoy. If just to shoot stock, no, not economically viable.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I heard that someone followed a busker, after he had finished his act, around a few streets then saw him get into the driving seat of a fairly new Rolls.

 

Allan

 

Allan, there was a woman in Oklahoma City that didn’t busk, she just begged while holding up a sign about needing food, etc. She set up on a heavily travel road divide, and was there forever, every day in her old, shabby clothes, looking desperate.
This one man had handed her money every time he passed that way. 
One day, he came just as she was leaving, so while he sat in his car through a long traffic light, he saw her get into a late model upscale car. She drove away. He followed at a discreet distance until she pulled into the garage of a nice house.

He was furious. She was making a great living, paying no taxes, and hoodwinking people with soft hearts. He said that money could have gone to those who really needed it, like disabled veterans. He felt taken and stupid. Over time, quite a few beggars were outed because people started paying attention. Some were found to head straight to the liquor store. There were newspaper investigative reporters who found a lot of the beggars were doing it rather than getting jobs, which were plentiful. The beggars made more in three or four hours than the average working Joe.

I used to get the ones holding a sign saying “Hungry” who appeared (? How can one really tell) legitimate, a packaged meal and hand it to them. Some looked angry and threw the food down to the ground.

I give to legitimate charities now, and have a soft heart for veterans who have given limbs, and sometimes their sanity for their country.

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The spark has certainly disappeared with me too.   I submitted my final photos in May, just before the new contract was announced.   In light of the bad news, I never bothered to tag and title them.

 

It would make irritate me to spend time working on photos knowing that Alamy would be the main beneficiary.

Edited by jayembee69
misspelling
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just made a relatively rare sale today for $1. You can’t blame microstock for these low prices as I am earning much better, and more frequent commissions on the main microstock site these days. I could live with $1 sales on Alamy if they were frequent but they aren't unfortunately. 

Edited by Marb
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marb said:

I just made a relatively rare sale today for $1. You can’t blame microstock for these low prices as I am earning much better, and more frequent commissions on the main microstock site these days. I could live with $1 sales on Alamy if they were frequent but they aren't unfortunately. 

 

Why can't you blame microstock for low price?  They pushed price downwards.   

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

 

Why can't you blame microstock for low price?  They pushed price downwards.   

Because their prices are getting better for me, and multiple sales every day. Alamy seems to be tiny sales these days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Marb said:

Because their prices are getting better for me, and multiple sales every day. Alamy seems to be tiny sales these days.


Still if the microstock model had never been invented, we would all be seeing higher prices.  The world economy has been relatively stable and strong, in spite of the pandemic.  It’s true that many more images are in the market then ever before but the micro pricing did not have to happen.  That was created by executives, not photographers.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marb said:

Because their prices are getting better for me, and multiple sales every day. Alamy seems to be tiny sales these days.

 

i don't blame people for contributing to them, same as i don't blame a restaurant for using Ubereat or a manufacturer using Amazon, still doesn't make a model that is focussed on shareholder wealth at the expense of producers, right. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/10/2021 at 05:00, The Blinking Eye said:

I was super jazzed about this site, this community, doing relatively well, gaining skills, building a portfolio, and motivated to become a better photographer. I feel insulted and devalued (even if I hardly made a dime before). I guess they can just churn through us because someone new will come along? I think it's a mistake to break the enthusiasm of your providers. But not my call, I guess. Looking for a different route to get my fire going, because this situation is discouraging.


I often wonder if the images from the big agencies who also license their photographers work through Alamy receive the same low rates as we sometimes do? Newcomers will contribute images to Alamy, but how long will they stay. We will likely never know as most likely don’t read the forum or participate in it. We certainly live in troubled times.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sb photos said:

I often wonder if the images from the big agencies who also license their photographers work through Alamy receive the same low rates as we sometimes do? Newcomers will contribute images to Alamy, but how long will they stay. We will likely never know as most likely don’t read the forum or participate in it. We certainly live in troubled times.

I am a new user contributing to Alamy since September last year and a member of the forum since November last year Last month I had considered leaving as I didn't know how difficult it was going to be with stock photography but sticking with it at the moment as I don't really want to go back to the previous employment which was a terrible place to work Have had good constructive advice from quite a few long term contributors here and appreciate all the comments 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sb photos said:


I often wonder if the images from the big agencies who also license their photographers work through Alamy receive the same low rates as we sometimes do? Newcomers will contribute images to Alamy, but how long will they stay. We will likely never know as most likely don’t read the forum or participate in it. We certainly live in troubled times.

i think the drop to 20% for many of them after one year will be a major moral hit

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/10/2021 at 06:00, The Blinking Eye said:

I was super jazzed about this site, this community, doing relatively well, gaining skills, building a portfolio, and motivated to become a better photographer. I feel insulted and devalued (even if I hardly made a dime before). I guess they can just churn through us because someone new will come along? I think it's a mistake to break the enthusiasm of your providers. But not my call, I guess. Looking for a different route to get my fire going, because this situation is discouraging.

 

Hey Kirsten, long time no see. I was very annoyed, as everyone else, with the commission change. Especially as, it seems if you read between the lines, it may have been to bring us in line with the rest of the market. And the vibe here is definitely quite negative for now... Puts me off being on here so much.

 

But.... , as I grow my collection, I keep seeing better and better results, despite the recent changes. In reference to what you said, I'm still learning too. I'm much more commercial these days about what I shoot. So I say, keep shooting! Good luck,

Steve

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Alexander Hog said:

I am a new user contributing to Alamy since September last year and a member of the forum since November last year Last month I had considered leaving as I didn't know how difficult it was going to be with stock photography but sticking with it at the moment as I don't really want to go back to the previous employment which was a terrible place to work Have had good constructive advice from quite a few long term contributors here and appreciate all the comments 

 

Alex, are you doing this full time? It certainly keeps me busy in my spare time - shooting planned subjects always takes longer than I think! You will get results if you grow your collection. I certainly recommend as a priority getting off the minimum payment band from Alamy. You'll get there if you put the time in. Look for niches, there are still subjects that aren't very well represented. Good luck

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.