Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I gather that, sadly, Colblimp (Andy Gibson) has left the forum.  A regular contributor of succinct comments and sometimes pithy remarks, and also excellent photography, particularly to Alamy News, he will be missed.

 

Kumar

  • Sad 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad news indeed.

Firstly, I hope that he is all right though I assume that his leaving is to do with the effect of forum administrative/background issues.

 

We have lost a host of good people who contributed and helped on the forum over the years as Joseph has pointed out.

Clearly there have to be rules but equally I think things have swung too much the other way and "dissent", even in a constructive way, appears to be frowned upon.

I still can't understand how geogphotos got "suspended" over his "Are you Contributing?" thread.   

 

All the best to Andy. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I read that elsewhere. It is a sad. Andy was one of the people I could have a joke with. Shame to lose him.

 

Allan

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a message chat with Andy last night and he has moved on due to the childish behaviour(my words!) of the forum controller.

 

It seems that they don't want the slightest critique of how Alamy/PA are conducting their business and want the forum to be a bland place, sadly I think this will see more leavers...maybe that's what they want!

 

Phil

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Phil Crean said:

Had a message chat with Andy last night and he has moved on due to the childish behaviour(my words!) of the forum controller.

 

It seems that they don't want the slightest critique of how Alamy/PA are conducting their business and want the forum to be a bland place, sadly I think this will see more leavers...maybe that's what they want!

 

Phil

 

It sounds like the forums will disappear completely when the full integration of PA & Alamy is complete. I do not know if PA has anything like this forum but doubt it.

 

Allan

 

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joseph Clemson said:

That is not at all good news. The Alamy forum had already become a less vibrant and informative place with the departure of so many seasoned contibutors following the changes to the Alamy contract and commission rates. We can't afford to lose the input of experienced, knowledgeable people who are daily working news and stock photographers. Such input through the forum helps the wider Alamy community to learn and grow, to the ultimate benefit of PA/Alamy as well as the contributors. ColBlimp had made a comment elsewhere about have received a naughty mark, which I pesume is what has precipitated this departure. I'm saddened by it all, not least because PA/Alamy seem to be chipping away at their contributor base in so many ways (some may say not so much chipping away as belting it with a sledgehammer). 

 

Interesting, as I too received a "naughty mark" (official warning) this week for using a 'sweary' emoji. Good luck to ColBlimp he will be missed along with all the other contributors who could take no more.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My first interaction with Andy was when I ribbed him about submitting farming pictures to Live News. Little did I know he was a a maestro at the tractor shot!

 

He was very helpful to me in an off Alamy issue.  We'll miss him here!  The boy is active on Twitter so look  out for @AndytheLensman !

 

🦔

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

using a 'sweary' emoji.

Outrageous. If Alamy doesn't want them used it should take them off.

Or is it a convenient bear trap.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

Which means that instead of criticism taking place here where they can reply, join in the discussion and give their point of view they will have their business criticised elsewhere where rumour can become fact in a few clicks of a mouse.

Yes, it's tending to the purple there now.

BTW Andy's account is still up, don't know if he's asked for it to be removed or he's just staying away. Shame either way.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

Which means that instead of criticism taking place here where they can reply, join in the discussion and give their point of view they will have their business criticised elsewhere where rumour can become fact in a few clicks of a mouse.

Indeed, if instead of the childish reaction they are having to forum members they were to actually engage and join in the conversations it would benefit everyone.

I know this is possible as I had a long and interesting chat with James at the photography show...

Phil

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

 

Just thought I'd jump in to express our own disappointment that Andy has decided to take some time away from the forum. We agree that he did have a lot of helpful advice and contributed to a lot here. 

 

As I explained to Andy in all of my communication which was friendly and informative, these warnings are given out for a reason. This forum is a place for discussion, help and advice which needs to remain a safe and friendly place and we have guidelines in place to keep it that way for a reason. It is not a place for bad language, harmful opinions or attempting to damage the Alamy brand through defamatory comments. 

 

We're not trying to be the fun police, censor thoughts or dictate what people want to chat about. However, this is an Alamy run forum set up to help our contributors, provide constructive criticism and ideas etc. We have no plans to get rid of this space and see great value in keeping it open for you all, but for those who would like to share extremely negative and rude thoughts and feelings towards Alamy then this is not the place to do that. 

 

Again, we're sad to see Andy step away and hope we can welcome him back at some point if/when he feels ready to return. 

If anyone would like to remind themselves of the forum guidelines, you'll find them here

Best

Corin

 

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Alamy said:

Hi All,

 

Just thought I'd jump in to express our own disappointment that Andy has decided to take some time away from the forum. We agree that he did have a lot of helpful advice and contributed to a lot here. 

 

As I explained to Andy in all of my communication which was friendly and informative, these warnings are given out for a reason. This forum is a place for discussion, help and advice which needs to remain a safe and friendly place and we have guidelines in place to keep it that way for a reason. It is not a place for bad language, harmful opinions or attempting to damage the Alamy brand through defamatory comments. 

 

We're not trying to be the fun police, censor thoughts or dictate what people want to chat about. However, this is an Alamy run forum set up to help our contributors, provide constructive criticism and ideas etc. We have no plans to get rid of this space and see great value in keeping it open for you all, but for those who would like to share extremely negative and rude thoughts and feelings towards Alamy then this is not the place to do that. 

 

Again, we're sad to see Andy step away and hope we can welcome him back at some point if/when he feels ready to return. 

If anyone would like to remind themselves of the forum guidelines, you'll find them here

Best

Corin

 

Unfortunately criticism is not being accepted!

 

Phil

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Alamy said:

It is not a place for bad language, harmful opinions or attempting to damage the Alamy brand through defamatory comments. 

 

If this comment had been made by the BBC, I would suspect they had just had an urgent little phone call form Nadine Dorries, reminding them of their duty to never, ever criticise the government.

 

Quote

 

We have no plans to get rid of this space and see great value in keeping it open for you all

 

But I assume you can see how it is becoming near impossible for contributors to trust any of these statements, when Alamy has also, in the past, repeatedly stated that the percentage cut taken would not increase, that filing images exclusively would carry lots of advantages, that we were valued, etc., etc.?

 

Ps. No need to suspend me, I shall stay away from the forum again for the next few weeks, rarely visit these day.

Edited by imageplotter
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Alamy locked this topic
55 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

Unfortunately criticism is not being accepted!

 

Phil

Hi Phil, 

 

Sorry that you feel that way - constructive criticism is allowed, when it is peppered with defamatory comments and rude language is where we have to draw the line. 

 

Best

Corin 

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, imageplotter said:

 

If this comment had been made by the BBC, I would suspect they had just had an urgent little phone call form Nadine Dorries, reminding them of their duty to never, ever criticise the government.

 

But I assume you can see how it is becoming near impossible for contributors to trust any of these statements, when Alamy has also, in the past, repeatedly stated that the percentage cut taken would not increase, that filing images exclusively would carry lots of advantages, that we were valued, etc., etc.?

 

Ps. No need to suspend me, I shall stay away from the forum again for the next few weeks, rarely visit these day.

Hi imageplotter,

 

Totally appreciate that there has been a lot of change at Alamy over the last couple of years, this has had an impact on our contributors, staff and customers which has made some feel uneasy. However, the content team are here to support you all as always and value you immensely. That has not and will not change. 

 

We run the forum as part of that support offering and have no plans to stop it anytime soon. Of course, never say never as sometimes business decisions and directions change. However, I can reassure you that there are not plans to remove this space at the moment and it is seen as important not just by Alamy but as the PA Media Group too. 

 

Best 

Corin 

P.s there is no need to warn or suspend you, your comments have been politely pointed out and are part of a valuable discussion

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Alamy unlocked this topic
1 hour ago, Alamy said:

Hi All,

 

Just thought I'd jump in to express our own disappointment that Andy has decided to take some time away from the forum. We agree that he did have a lot of helpful advice and contributed to a lot here. 

 

As I explained to Andy in all of my communication which was friendly and informative, these warnings are given out for a reason. This forum is a place for discussion, help and advice which needs to remain a safe and friendly place and we have guidelines in place to keep it that way for a reason. It is not a place for bad language, harmful opinions or attempting to damage the Alamy brand through defamatory comments. 

 

We're not trying to be the fun police, censor thoughts or dictate what people want to chat about. However, this is an Alamy run forum set up to help our contributors, provide constructive criticism and ideas etc. We have no plans to get rid of this space and see great value in keeping it open for you all, but for those who would like to share extremely negative and rude thoughts and feelings towards Alamy then this is not the place to do that. 

 

Again, we're sad to see Andy step away and hope we can welcome him back at some point if/when he feels ready to return. 

If anyone would like to remind themselves of the forum guidelines, you'll find them here

Best

Corin

 

 

The most antagonising thing on the forum is the use of faceless red down arrows but Alamy is happy to allow that provocation. Then you send out warnings with comments about 'maturity and respect'? Double standards I'm afraid. I was prepared to let this slide and forget about it but I suspect Andy probably met with the same nonsense and intransigence. Sometimes you just have to say your piece and be damned. That's what adults do. For those that have never had a warning box pop-up it also says within the text, 

 

Penalty:

Given 1 points which will never expire.

 

No explanation is given about "points", but I suspect they don't make prizes?

  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

My first interaction with Andy was when I ribbed him about submitting farming pictures to Live News. Little did I know he was a a maestro at the tractor shot!

 

He was very helpful to me in an off Alamy issue.  We'll miss him here!  The boy is active on Twitter so look  out for @AndytheLensman !

 

🦔

 

Also on Facebook. I have just been talking to him there. Not sure but I think it is only the forums that he is keeping away from.

 

Allan

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Also on Facebook. I have just been talking to him there. Not sure but I think it is only the forums that he is keeping away from.

 

Allan

 

And on facebook we can speak freely without the childish restrictions being administered here...

Phil

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just one final note from us. To make it clear, we absolutely accept criticism and questions but they have to be presented fairly and professionally. Being agressive, rude or bringing the Alamy brand into disrepute will never be appropriate on the forum. 

 

Thanks 

Alamy

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Alamy locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.