Not photography related

Allan Bell

Question

unless you are stuck in a cold office processing images on a computer.

Brrr! It's flippin' cold today. Anyone put their central heating on yet?

Alamy staff can join in on this one as well.

Allan

12 hours ago, Colblimp said:

My missus turns on the heating at the drop of a hat, but I just put a jumper on...

We have the opposite problem, I feel the cold while she does not. In fact I think both of our body thermostats are in need of attention. In my case it's due to Raynaud's disease related to poor circulation while she has been been suffering from hot flushes for the past 30 years with no end in sight.  I find myself having to wear gloves in the car while she wants to turn the heater off and wind the windows down. It's as well we are still in love after 50 years !

• Love 3

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

We have the opposite problem, I feel the cold while she does not. In fact I think both of our body thermostats are in need of attention. In my case it's due to Raynaud's disease related to poor circulation while she has been been suffering from hot flushes for the past 30 years with no end in sight.  I find myself having to wear gloves in the car while she wants to turn the heater off and wind the windows down. It's as well we are still in love after 50 years !

It started out my husband was hot natured and I was cold. I once threatened to set his recliner out in the front yard in the snow, turn the television around so he could watch it through the picture window so the rest of us could stay in and turn the heat up. In those snowy conditions, he often opened the front door wide to let the wind howl in while wearing a tee shirt and shorts, while the rest of us were bundled up under blankets. Three teens and me.

Then in later years, we switched. He became cold, I became hot. Payback was fun, although I never did what he did. I just turned the thermostat down two or three degrees, so we had thermostat wars.  I think I’ve settled for the middle ground, now.

When I was on chemotherapy, it caused the most monstrous hot flashes. I had no hair and wore a simple wrap on my head. I remember one evening when one came on, I ran outside, stood in the sleet with my cap off, and imagined I could hear the sizzle when the sleet hit my head and imagined steam rising. It probably was. I did that multiple times every evening all winter long, no matter the weather. It’s a wonder I didn’t catch my death, but I never even caught a cold in spite of my immune system being knocked the heck down.  
My neighbor has been going through those chemo hot flashes all summer, and she’s naturally hot natured. I can’t imagine how miserable she’s been. She couldn’t run out in freezing, windy weather to get a quick cool down.

My built in clock usually wakes me up just before 5am, that suits me. My wife calls 5am silly o'clock. Today we were both woken up by our cat Bran running around the house as fast as he could at 4am. I got up then and let Bran out, he was then happy. I normally fuel up mid week, but my wife's tank was very low. As I was awake earlier than normal I made as both a cuppa and we decided to check out the local Tesco filling station queue. Arrived there at 5:45 and there was only around 15 cars queueing waiting for opening time at 6am. It was a pleasure not to queue for 60 - 90 minutes. Certainly the best time to fuel up. Was plenty of petrol but no diesel on any pump, the same at most local filling stations. I'm glad I got rid of my diesel Mondeo last year.

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

That must be such a difficult car journey!  If the windows in the car aren't down because of rain, I put the air con on the freezer setting and blast it out.  Luckily, my car has dual heat so she can have it hot her side.

14 hours ago, Bryan said:

Solution: Get a London black cab. S/H of course. Wiffy in back behind screen with windows open and you in your snug with windows closed.

Allan

Whoops again! I meant "Wifey".

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

Hey, wait a minute, Mister Allan — since when is the weather not photography related?

I've been trying to get down to Sefton Park for months, and the weather has always fouled my plans. When the sun is shinning, when I get my senior bus pass (also for the train?), and before winter takes hold, I shall set forth for the big park, and the Palm House, and whatever carnivorous wild life is about. 

51 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hey, wait a minute, Mister Allan — since when is the weather not photography related?

I've been trying to get down to Sefton Park for months, and the weather has always fouled my plans. When the sun is shinning, when I get my senior bus pass (also for the train?), and before winter takes hold, I shall set forth for the big park, and the Palm House, and whatever carnivorous wild life is about. 

Brandon Hill Park, Bristol, UK. 6th Oct, 2021. The squirrels in Brandon Hill Park are known for their tameness and willingness to scrounge some nuts. Pigeons have to wait their turn. Credit: JMF News/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

Take some nuts with you Edo!

• Thanks 1

On 02/10/2021 at 12:30, John Morrison said:

No central heating on yet, but I have fuel for the woodburner and a new box of firelighters. So... any day now...

I have 'invested' in a couple of 'smart plugs'. One of them controls my electric blanket.

All I have to do is say "Alexa... warm up my bed for me" half an hour before I go 'up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire'...

Electric blankets are dangerous. As a retired firefighter I'd urge you to put another blanket on instead. Alternative is to replace it regularly. Say every two years or so. I'm sure a quick search on you tube will show the dangers.

5 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Yeah... black cabs can be a bit wiffy... especially in the back...  😎

John thanks for pointing that one out.

SORRY Bryan.

Allan

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I think it would take them too long to get to Liverpool.;)

Ah hem! You including me in that comment.🤨

And don't say "If the cap fits."😃

Allan (The nutty one)

Hi Grand master Edo. So you want to join in a military exercise course huh! ?

But Sefton park is only an hours walk from where you are so why the talk of buses and trains?

Consider it as an hour walking around the center (centre) of Liverpool but in a straight line.👍

If I was still there I would give you a lift there in the car, less the a 15 minute drive.

Allan

To be honest I did not investigate the area enough before coming to visit you (Great day) but would like to have seen Sefton Park myself.

ITMA

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Long ago, when I was younger and had lots more energy, I made a rule to follow when doing photo shoots: save the walking for navigating the area I was shooting in. Never walk solely as transportation. 

Ha! I like your rule Edo!

Have to admit to turning on the Central heating a few times in the evenings /mornings, to take the chill off. but not before the Start of October!  I only turn the system on when its needed, otherwise it  stays off. But I am down South in London though!  Not really part of this thread, but I managed to get some petrol this morning, without having to que! (I refused to que for petrol and opted to wait  until some sanity had broken out!). 

Edited by John Gaffen

54 minutes ago, John Gaffen said:

Have to admit to turning on the Central heating a few times in the evenings /mornings, to take the chill off. but not before the Start of October!  I only turn the system on when its needed, otherwise it  stays off. But I am down South in London though!  Not really part of this thread, but I managed to get some petrol this morning, without having to que! (I refused to que for petrol and opted to wait  until some sanity had broken out!). 

That is good to know John. Don't worry about going off topic on this thread, it has already morphed.

As the author of the thread I do not mind what you want to discuss/comment on so long as it is NOT politics, religion, Irish jokes, or slagging someone off including Alamy.

Lets keep it light (lite) and fun.

Allan

• Love 1

We leave our heating on all year round on thermostat, and all the radiators have separate thermostats, so if the temperature goes too low the heating comes on.

We did a comparison one year and the cost was about the same. By letting the temperature get too low it uses a lot of fuel to get back up to the right heat.

John.

3 hours ago, Stokie said:

We leave our heating on all year round on thermostat, and all the radiators have separate thermostats, so if the temperature goes too low the heating comes on.

We did a comparison one year and the cost was about the same. By letting the temperature get too low it uses a lot of fuel to get back up to the right heat.

John.

✔️

Allan

On 06/10/2021 at 22:49, Michael Ventura said:

Ha! I like your rule Edo!

Agree it is a good rule. BUT I cannot count the number of good photographic opportunities I have missed when being on a bus or train. Even driving the car I see something to photograph but there is nowhere to stop the car while I run back to get it.  I have even made mental notes of where the opportunities are and cannot find anywhere to stop, even before I arrive at the site. There are some places near me where there are photo opportunities and no place to park a car but to reach them means a walk of about an hour to get there along a busy road with no footpaths. The road is very narrow and no verges for long distances and the traffic, including lorries and buses, are travelling fast.

Allan