18 hours ago, CarlMillerPhotos said:

Yes. But don't say anything. They'll give you a "naughty point."

And they will. It’s like being back at school. Pathetic… 

• Upvote 2

This month it's the race who buys the cheapest, out of nine sales none of them made even $ 10 net profit, four not even $ 1

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, CarlMillerPhotos said:

Yes. But don't say anything. They'll give you a "naughty point."

I think we should have a competition to see who has the most...I got my first yesterday. 🤣

It is totally pathetic, are we not adults here?

Phil

• Upvote 2

Why aren't Alamy following their own price guidelines? They might as well be giving our images away. The "Personal Use" license is is over the top fraud and should contain a strict warning of abuse. Not a happy camper!

• Upvote 2
24 minutes ago, Gina Kelly said:

Just had a sale for .21 cents, my take - .08 cents. OUCH 😩

I'm not even going to look to see if I've got a piece of that action. I'd prefer a poke in the eye with a burnt stick.

7 hours ago, Panthera tigris said:

Where can you see your naughty points ?  found it its in your profile. 

Permanent record. Don't tell my camera!🤣

Phil

I know some contributors have had lower returns but I have just had my lowest in 15 years with Alamy - a highly disappointing $0.41 net. Subject was Red Arrows climbing at speed for which I used my experience and know-how to capture a moving target. Bit of an insult really but that is how it is!! Apart from a poor deal for contributors I often wonder how Agencies can justify the Admin costs of such sales - quantity I guess! Big smiles from buyers.....

Jim 😩

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

The trend has been down for years but it feels like we've seen a sudden plummet here at Alamy. Of course we can speculate as to why that might be but at the end of the day I'm not sure it really matters in the face of an industry wide trend.

I have now surpassed my previous best years in terms of sales volume here at Alamy. With over two months to go that should be good news. Sadly if I flip the tab to look at revenue (which is what matters) the graph looks very different, with total revenue less than a third of the amounts earned in previous best years with fewer sales. Perhaps the last two months will get me into that second third of income, but clearly the worth of our work has been devalued.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
6 hours ago, AlexH said:

The trend has been down for years but it feels like we've seen a sudden plummet here at Alamy. Of course we can speculate as to why that might be but at the end of the day I'm not sure it really matters in the face of an industry wide trend.

I have now surpassed my previous best years in terms of sales volume here at Alamy. With over two months to go that should be good news. Sadly if I flip the tab to look at revenue (which is what matters) the graph looks very different, with total revenue less than a third of the amounts earned in previous best years with fewer sales. Perhaps the last two months will get me into that second third of income, but clearly the worth of our work has been devalued.

One of the things that James mentioned during our conversation at the NEC show was that there are a number of clients who are using literally 1000's of images every month so they have an enormous bargaining power. They go to all the agencies and ask for bids for their business and then decide on who to go with. This works fine for the agencies concerned but means that the photographers get buggerall. 

I don't have any idea what the answer to this dilemma might possibly be as Alamy et al will not turn away such high volume business.

Phil

13 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

One of the things that James mentioned during our conversation at the NEC show was that there are a number of clients who are using literally 1000's of images every month so they have an enormous bargaining power. They go to all the agencies and ask for bids for their business and then decide on who to go with. This works fine for the agencies concerned but means that the photographers get buggerall. 

I don't have any idea what the answer to this dilemma might possibly be as Alamy et al will not turn away such high volume business.

Phil

If by coincidence all that photographers license are the $1 sales they will logically lose interest in stock, but if they are mixed in with higher value sales they might swear and carry on a bit longer. How long depends upon the race to the bottom. I can see agencies reducing staff, contractors and whoever as consistent low sales rates won’t be able to maintain their infrastructure. More automation might help them last longer. 

• Upvote 3

That's interesting to hear Phil, second hand from the horses mouth so to speak! Of course not really anything we didn't already know, just an emphasis on the scale of the problem perhaps.

As I mentioned in a post previously I had thought opting out of "novel use" was supposed to be the contributors way of declining the option to be involved in this sort of bulk sale discounting deal. It seems that is no longer the case. At the moment this isn't such a dilemma for agencies if they secure the volume. From a contributor perspective its making me less inclined to add certain work.

• Upvote 3
9 minutes ago, AlexH said:

That's interesting to hear Phil, second hand from the horses mouth so to speak! Of course not really anything we didn't already know, just an emphasis on the scale of the problem perhaps.

As I mentioned in a post previously I had thought opting out of "novel use" was supposed to be the contributors way of declining the option to be involved in this sort of bulk sale discounting deal. It seems that is no longer the case. At the moment this isn't such a dilemma for agencies if they secure the volume. From a contributor perspective its making me less inclined to add certain work.

Opting out, or, being able to set a minimum licence fee which we individually are prepared to accept would be the answer for me. However for Alamy that won't work as they would then loose a large pool of images that could be offered to these clients!

Phil

• Upvote 4

A couple more micro-priced photos came through this week and so my strategy has changed.  Most of my photos until a couple months ago were well priced thus when I started to get the micro-priced ones I made the decision that since I put micro photos on the micro sites, if they are sold for micro prices on Alamy I will delete them and shift them over to the other sites where they will likely earn more via repetitive use.  When one thinks about it, this is actually a great way to organize photos and to know which to keep on Alamy and which to move to other sites.  In the end, the photos that sell for fair prices on Alamy will stay on Alamy thus my collection on Alamy is being culled in a somewhat natural way making it stronger in the long run. 

• Upvote 1
On 17/10/2021 at 17:47, MarkK said:

A couple more micro-priced photos came through this week and so my strategy has changed.  Most of my photos until a couple months ago were well priced thus when I started to get the micro-priced ones I made the decision that since I put micro photos on the micro sites, if they are sold for micro prices on Alamy I will delete them and shift them over to the other sites where they will likely earn more via repetitive use.  When one thinks about it, this is actually a great way to organize photos and to know which to keep on Alamy and which to move to other sites.  In the end, the photos that sell for fair prices on Alamy will stay on Alamy thus my collection on Alamy is being culled in a somewhat natural way making it stronger in the long run. 

This is exactly what I have been doing during 2021. I came to the same conclusion as you did that the other sites are well used to selling in volume and so the possibility of repeat business for each photo is higher with them than PA/Alamy. In fact 1 photo i deleted has been sold 6 times so far on other sites for rates greater than what it had earned for its solitary MS sale on PA/Alamy.

• Upvote 1

hello everyone, 

as you all here sell pictures from this website can some one tell me how can I do ti sell too. I'm here from more than a year, uploading every week new stuff, I generally do professional sports as rugby, football, soccer, ski, bike, moto etc. uploaded 1600 pics and NO ONE SOLD YET.. 

WHY???? 

HELP