Are you contributing?

Question

Not trying to influence anybody one way or the other. 

How is your level of motivation these days and are you still contributing stock images to Alamy?

DO NOT MENTION ANY OTHER AGENCY OR THEIR EXISTENCE

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 2

I found the contract change, along with lower gross fees,  disheartening, and am taking far fewer photos and carrying less photo gear, but still uploading. 

I've seen a surge in sales recently, could be just a blip, who knows? 

I've tried POD but not made any real money, so that's on the back burner. 

Happy to slip the little Sony RX100 into a pocket while out and about, but no longer making trips just to take photos.

On 16/09/2021 at 10:48, geogphotos said:

How is your level of motivation these days and are you still contributing stock images to Alamy?

My motivation is to remove my images.  I won't criticise Alamy while at the same time accepting their rates for my images.  What I object to are 5 year licenses for less than $1 dollar.  I noticed that there isn't an anti-slavery statement on the main website. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
Posted (edited)

I'm sure that there was a post here about other options - maybe it has been censored. 

Let's just say that Alamy does offer a lot of advantages - ease of upload at the photographer's convenience, no waiting because of staff shortages when others aren't so automated, no disappointment over editing. But the disadvantages are also there especially with the fall in revenue. 

Sometimes a problem just doesn't have an obvious solution. 

Not sure why Alamy is so twitchy about mentioning the existence of un-named other agencies - given that exclusivity has no commercial value. What are we expected to do when commission gets slashed? 

Edited by geogphotos
On 16/09/2021 at 10:48, geogphotos said:

Absolute pants, its gone, nada...I've hardly even looked at the forum in months and i was hooked before the nonsense. 

Having spent too long lurking around Westminster in the last year or two, last week I did what I used to do before I got my press card - got  the tube to somewhere else and wandered around aimlessly looking for things to photograph.
I've uploaded over 100 stock images from the day so far and already had one sale ($3!!)

That day did more for my motivation than anything else recently.
Parliament is in recess for another week or so - I will be doing it again.