Jump to content
  • 0

list of words not detected by Alamy searches


Question

what is term for words that are "invisible" to Alamy searches?
the of on and to, etc.
has Alamy provided complete list, or has contributor(s)
compiled complete list & willing to post here?
is there reason to still include those words in tags-supertags?  TIA
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
15 minutes ago, FocusUno said:
what is term for words that are "invisible" to Alamy searches?
the of on and to, etc.
has Alamy provided complete list, or has contributor(s)
compiled complete list & willing to post here?
is there reason to still include those words in tags-supertags?  TIA

The following articles and prepositions are ignored:

the
an
at
by
with
any
for
to

However, these aren't and have to be included:

a
in
on
from

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, ReeRay said:

The following articles and prepositions are ignored:

the
an
at
by
with
any
for
to

thanks for response

but list is incomplete, right?

out of blue, I just tried SOME & got 0 returns

also missing is AND & OF...

leaving ignored words out of caption could cause confusion

but leaving out of tags-supertags preserves character space, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

My opinion is that it is best to write sensible captions regardless of what the Alamy system does or doesn't do. 

 

I realise that is not what you asked.

  • Upvote 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

isn't the important fact the ones that ARE included and recognised?  Having a word that has no impact will not affect your results, like being excluded because you didn't include "ON" or "IN"?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
34 minutes ago, FocusUno said:

thanks for response

but list is incomplete, right?

out of blue, I just tried SOME & got 0 returns

also missing is AND & OF...

leaving ignored words out of caption could cause confusion

but leaving out of tags-supertags preserves character space, right?

That's the list I've always worked with which, if I remember correctly, I picked up from this forum years back

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

My opinion is that it is best to write sensible captions regardless of what the Alamy system does or doesn't do. 

Yes, especially as seaches may also be conducted via Google etc., not just via Alamy.

 

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Yes, especially as seaches may also be coducted via Google etc., not just via Alamy.

 

Mark

 

And because Alamy is not the only place that one might choose to have images available for licensing. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)
it has been reported in other threads that ranking strength is ordered as
a. supertags
b. captions
c. tags
therefore IMO captions ought be more tag-like than traditional -- but to each their own...
reason for deleting undetectable words is opening limited character space to significant words
Edited by FocusUno
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Does anyone know how hyphens are treated for keywording purposes?  Is “old fashioned” the same, for search purposes, as “old-fashioned”, or should both versions be included as keywords?  I am very inconsistent in how I treat potentially hyphenated word pairs.  
 

Graham

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 minutes ago, Graham said:

Does anyone know how hyphens are treated for keywording purposes?  Is “old fashioned” the same, for search purposes, as “old-fashioned”, or should both versions be included as keywords?  I am very inconsistent in how I treat potentially hyphenated word pairs.  
 

Graham

Hyphens are ignored and treated in the same way as a space. So just "old fashioned".

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.