120 hour QC time, normal?

How about 768 hours !!!!! Uploaded on 22nd October rejected on November 22nd…32 days.

Is this a record???? 

2 failures in the last 1 year, in both cases, the images were marked failed exactly 1 month later. And in both cases, my fault, somehow missed those blemishes (or grew over-confident). As a result, do double-checking now, while exporting in Photoshop and then before uploading.

Well now I know Saturday morning is a hour or so work for me key wording.. don't mind tho at least they have all passed...Only another 12 months of Saturdays to go and I just might get a sale... ;)   

Start with Stirling - that's a place not a currency :) !

DHRMM7.jpg

Can anyone recommend a stock photo service that is a little more modern with their QC approvals?

A little more modern?  Five days is speedy fast for stock images.  I have agents where I have currently had to wait upwards of 30-45 days for images to get reviewed (and pass) after an FTP upload.

If you have NEWSWORTHY images, then you can upload via the news route (no FTP required) - but those images are not reviewed.

Can anyone recommend a stock photo service that is a little more modern with their QC approvals?

A little more modern?  Five days is speedy fast for stock images.  I have agents where I have currently had to wait upwards of 30-45 days for images to get reviewed (and pass) after an FTP upload.

If you have NEWSWORTHY images, then you can upload via the news route (no FTP required) - but those images are not reviewed.

Be careful, though. Photos that have been uploaded to the news feed and are subsequently deemed "not-newsworthy" are put in the regular stock photo QC queue, where they often run a high risk of failing. This doesn't seem entirely fair to me, but that's the way it is. I had this happen to me last year. I uploaded one image to the news feed. It was nixed and ended up languishing in the stock QC lineup for an entire month. During that time, there was no point in my uploading anything new because I knew it had failed. Lesson learned.

Phew! My last two batches have just passed after waiting 5 and 6 days respectively. I was starting to get the jitters after having a clean QC record since two of my first four uploads failed QC almost three years ago. Previous uploads have always cleared within 24-48 hours.

Hi John, 

This does seem unfair. I was thinking of uploading images from mobile to news, but no way would they meet QC for the regular queue, and I am now morbidly afraid of the 30 day penalty.

I probably won't be uploading to the news feed again because of this schizoid policy. There are safer options out there for these types of images.

This thread reminds me why I wish QC would develop a system that just says if you have failed or not. If you have failed, then your account is disabled from being able to upload.

It can't be that difficult to implement and it would stop these threads appearing all the time.

I too have some images in the queue. been there since the beginning of the week and no idea what's going on. Thankfully, I do have other stuff to do.

This thread reminds me why I wish QC would develop a system that just says if you have failed or not. If you have failed, then your account is disabled from being able to upload

Been here for some years now, with a fair share of failed submissions,  yes it would be nice of Alamy to give notice of failures,  however you can be sure if there is no pass after 36 hours you have failed,  it's that simple!

While i am here i will say that to some extent i understand Alamy's reason for having a strict QC,  however i am sure that it has turned away many good photographers and their work,  in certainly slows down workflow to what is otherwise a good system.

Paul.

I agree with Charly, I had a submission take 3 days to go through last week!

I also agree with Paul that ALAMY could be a bit more lenient with the odd failure, and not keep regular contributors with an otherwise good record waiting so long!

I must say that only once in all my years here i had to wait more than 36 hours or to be safe 2 days for a QC pass,  maybe i have been lucky.

Paul.

Not sure luck has anything to do with and though I cannot be certain, I believe other factors come into play. Like: how often you upload images, how many you upload, how long have you been with Alamy, what is your ranking, how many sales do you make, etc. So with my being fairly new, only uploading about once a month/6 wks. with being in school, only uploading a small amount, taking too long to keyword passed images, etc., I think that puts me down at the bottom at near the 5 day mark as the norm. 

Besides why get nervous or worry in advance of conformation? Seems like wasted time to me, when there's other things to be doing. ;)

I upload anywhere between 10 and 70 images daily when i am not locked out,  have had a good run over the past week with 6 uploads well over 100 images,  but today my last lot from yesterday have not been cleared although it has been less than 24 hours ( still time )

Paul.

Personally, I think that if an image is uploaded as a "news" photo and is then deemed "not newsworthy," it should just be deleted by Alamy, not put in the general stock photo queue. The contributor could then decide whether or not the image is technically good enough to resubmit as regular stock. Perhaps Alamy wants to discourage people from using the news feed to bypass QC, which is understandable, but this isn't a fair way of doing it IMO. Alamy's guidelines clearly state that the technical requirements for news photos are less stringent than those for ordinary stock photos.

Frequency of upload certainly plays a part in my estimation.  Early on, (a couple of years back) when I wasn't uploading frequently, I once had to wait 14 days for a pass!  These days, I generally pass in 2-3 days, though I have got images through in ~12 hours before now.

I'm also of the opinion that how you upload and when also makes a difference: my usual pass times are Weds and Sat early AM, GMT.  Before these times I have usually drip-fed images over a few days.  I find that if I add to my backlog of images too close to my usual QC deadline, then the batches will have to wait for the next round.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

E.g. I upload several batches from Saturday to Tuesday.  Usually these will pass QC on Weds AM.  If, however, I upload a few more after say, midday on Tuesday, then all batches have to wait till Sat AM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have no doubt that if you have a good record, and upload large quantities frequently, then you will be at the front of the QC queue.

Archived