Hello from Alex in Scotland

Alexander Hog

Would consider myself as a hobbyist/amateur photographer I have been going through a lot of the threads to get more of an understanding of the stock industry and realising how hard it is and agree with a lot of points mentioned Also agree when someone said about being newer contributors that it is easier to leave than to carry on if I have picked it up correctly Now I am wondering if it is worthwhile continuing with carrying on with this and only been uploading small amounts since September 2020 with still got a long slog ahead Have had one sale so far and 2 zooms so far 

Have still got more images to upload Is it true that it is better to give it at least a year or more before deciding whether to carry on or not  

Any kind of advice will be helpful

Hi Alex,

This is a bit of a 'How long is a piece of string?' question. What are you looking to get out of stock photography? The days of decent money for image sales have long gone and the market is very saturated. You will generally not make anywhere near minimum hourly wage for the time that you actually put in. Is it important to you to see your images published? How important is the money?

Steve

Edited by Steve F

Hi Steve 

It was to make enough to buy better camera gear and or going towards a holiday I have heard it is over saturated and seen in some threads on how long it takes to make some sort of living out of it I know I'm a way off my mark when I say this but it was to make up to 500 a month( not all the time) and am years away from making that amount I do enjoy photography and since joining here has helped a bit for improving the skills Still a lot to learn  

Mr Standfast 

I agree It hasn't put me off I do enjoy Photography and will still upload photo's at the moment Maybe give it another year and see what happens 

I appreciate all the good advice Will never be a professional photographer but getting out and about is the key 

Alex

I am not the worlds best at this but with a similar size port and having joined at the same time, I generally get approx 2 licenses per month (although last month was rubbish for me) 

I didn't make this comparison to try and boast or belittle as my pics are not that much better but I think what might be the difference is keywords and captions (and I struggle at those as well)

To be honest your keywords and captions are a bit feeble.

No matter how good your pics are if people can't find them they won't be bought. Sometimes it just involves quite a lot of research  e.g.

- Image ID: 2GB7533 - Statue looking with binoculars in North Berwick 

What statue?

What does it commemorate?

Where exactly?

You also have 'bench' in the keywords. I know there is one in there right in the corner but if somebody searches bench they are probably looking for the bench to be the main focus so will just skip yours and that could hurt your ranking.

I have used this analogy before but what I can work out is that selling on Alamy is like a long drainpipe, you stuff pics in one end and eventually licenses fall out the other end. How short the drainpipe and therefore how quickly they fall out depends on if the pics can be found, the quality of pics and is it something that buyers are looking for.

Good luck,

5 hours ago, Alexander Hog said:

Hi Steve 

It was to make enough to buy better camera gear and or going towards a holiday I have heard it is over saturated and seen in some threads on how long it takes to make some sort of living out of it I know I'm a way off my mark when I say this but it was to make up to 500 a month( not all the time) and am years away from making that amount I do enjoy photography and since joining here has helped a bit for improving the skills Still a lot to learn  

Photographing for Alamy does improve my photography too. I would strongly suggest you read the advice on contributor page and on the blogs for keywords and captions. Also, the portfolio critique section of the Forum. Purely to make sure you don't have to go back at a future point and try to re-keyword and caption all your images by getting it right now.

Well £500 net a month is very ambitious. You'd need to gross about $1,750 dollars a month. So you'd need a collection of approx. between 20,000 to 100,000 images depending on how saleable your images are. Still, it's nice to have a goal 🙃

Hello, from U.S.!  I joined this site to share and sell some of the photographs that I have taken over the years while hiking, camping, traveling.  I have thousands of pictures that I would love to share. I never tried stock photography but its worth the try.  I will like to see where this goes and give it a shot.

Time is changing, the landscape is changing.  Fields are being leveled and concrete buildings taking their place. 

I think of photography as a one time sight. Now you see it and then you don't.  Time is changing....why not share what we see now and for our future colleagues.  I find pictures to tell their own stories. If you look closely at your pictures you see the contrast, colors, shapes, scenes that can tell an amazing story.  

Time to learn something new.  I have read some of the blogs and found that people struggle with key words and depending on what the consumer is looking for.  I will keep reading and learning as we all will. Thanks

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bluesky049 said:

Hello, from U.S.!  I joined this site to share and sell some of the photographs that I have taken over the years while hiking, camping, traveling.  I have thousands of pictures that I would love to share. I never tried stock photography but its worth the try.  I will like to see where this goes and give it a shot.

Time is changing, the landscape is changing.  Fields are being leveled and concrete buildings taking their place. 

I think of photography as a one time sight. Now you see it and then you don't.  Time is changing....why not share what we see now and for our future colleagues.  I find pictures to tell their own stories. If you look closely at your pictures you see the contrast, colors, shapes, scenes that can tell an amazing story.  

Time to learn something new.  I have read some of the blogs and found that people struggle with key words and depending on what the consumer is looking for.  I will keep reading and learning as we all will. Thanks

I see you are full of enthusiasm, that's good and good luck

Edited by Radim

23 hours ago, Alexander Hog said:

Hi Steve 

It was to make ...... up to 500 a month( not all the time) and am years away from making that amount.

Hi from a compatriot!

Just to say, have you seen the end of month threads where some contributors post their sales:

E.g.

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/14668-how-was-your-july-2021

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/14559-how-was-your-june-2021

Of course, only a very small percentage of contributors post on the forums and fewer on these threads.

Clue: the money is in Live News, for which there is a lot of competition already in Edinburgh (I don't do Live News).

• Like 1

I think I might have seen it briefly before Had a wee look It is interesting It will be a long time before I get these as I need to upload a lot more 

Going through the images again as I may be hurting the CTR for myself Should be finished by tomorrow morning 

I don't do live news But I do agree with you I appreciate you letting me know 

Hi Alex.

I'm really new to this too. No sales so far, but I've not uploaded a lot of pictures yet.

My thinking is that I enjoy photography, taking potential stock shots gives me a focus*, and there's the possibility I could get some cash.

* he he focus!  Geddit? Wanders off laughing at own, frankly terrible, joke.

• Love 2