A warning on going up quite a bit in megapixels. You will need to pay more attention to your shooting mechanics. The more megapixels you have, the more magnified the errors, like camera shake. I found that out going from the D7000 DX to the D800 FX. I had to shoot more deliberately and forget the quick grab shots unless SS was high. An extra few seconds.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

A warning on going up quite a bit in megapixels. You will need to pay more attention to your shooting mechanics. The more megapixels you have, the more magnified the errors, like camera shake. I found that out going from the D7000 DX to the D800 FX. I had to shoot more deliberately and forget the quick grab shots unless SS was high. An extra few seconds.

Also more storage space for photos and good enough computer to work on the larger files.  

I use D7500 as my daily camera with heavy Sigma 18-35mm, but most of my recent stock images are taken with D610 and 50mm lens, mostly because it take less space and easier to carry around.

And you have D3100 that is really a light weight camera, but D6xx/D7xx will feel more solid in your hands but a bit heavier.

Everything I have on Alamy is DX Nikon and currently using D7200 and D3400.  I have looked at FX but have many DX lenses that would not help much on FX.  I have considered the D7500 as all my lenses would work fine on it but also looking a mirrorless as that seems to be the future. 

On 21/07/2021 at 16:05, sb photos said:

I was 70 a few weeks back, and also intend to continue shooting stock and reportage.

I currently use 2 D750's, with 17-35, 24-70 and 70-300mm lenses. If I did add any other kit it would be the Tamron G2 2.8 70-200, but currently can't cost justify it. They cover all I need. I still have my earlier DX camera's, a D7100 and D7200, with 10-24, 16-85, 70-210, 70-300 and 8mm fisheye DX lenses, for backup. They get very little use now, but occasionally as a light option I'll carry just the D7200 with the 16-85 lens. The D750's weren't too expensive for what they are capable of. My reason for buying full frame was mainly for lower digital noise at higher iso's, and faster and better lenses. The one Nikon DX body I sometimes long for is the D500.

As others have said, images shot on DX sold no problem.

Steve,

A NIKKOR that might interest you is the NIKKOR 70-200 F4 VR.  I got tired of dragging the 70-200 f2.8 around and I love the F4.

Light weight and SHARP.  They can be had for a pretty fair deal.

Chuck

• Haha 1