Photoshop to stop working on unsupported packages and operating systems

Just a heads up for anyone like myself that is using an older operating system and has a Photoshop cc package ... I am running the ancient Mountain Lion os on my Mac which is fine but is now too long in the tooth and I am now finding that Safari, for example, will not work on many sites ... but overall it still works fine so I haven't upgraded as of yet. 

I am now getting a countdown box on my Photoshop cc that informs me as of today, it will only work for another 24 days as there is no connection to Adobe for verification which is no surprise as it tries to use Safari for the verification process. I contacted Adobe on their chat line and spent a fruitless 30 minutes with a disinterested and unhelpful "advisor", the upshot being that Adobe and Apple have decided between them that older os will no longer be supported. In my case for the Mac os, Photoshop will no longer work on any os older than Mojave so it's a case of upgrade the os or get a new Mac if I wish to continue with Photoshop ! I am now in the process of backing up everything that I haven't backed up already and will attempt to upgrade in 2 stages, from Mountain Lion to high Sierra and from there to Mojave. The Apple website indicates that I should be able to upgrade my Mac, just, although I have also noted the advice that MDM kindly gave me in the sky replacement tool thread in that my system may not cope with it ... but I don't really have a choice unless I get an older Windows pc and install the Photoshop 4 that I have on disc !

The joy of being tied to a subscription and being at the mercy of big tech I guess but if anyone else is using an older os wether on Mac or Windows, be aware that you may lose Photoshop very soon if you are on the cc subscription ...

• Like 1

I do get alarming messages from Adobe reader but it still seems to work. My Photoshop is an ancient paid-for version 12.1  CS5 with an El Capitan OS. At least we are out of cats and into mountains.

The Mac itself is a very early slimline 27" with 16 GB of RAM and an old fashioned 1TB hard drive I may well be running on borrowed time.

• Like 1

Martyn - you won't be able to update your Mac to Mojave if it is a 2011 iMac (guessed from the specs you gave in the other thread). I am not sure what the point in doing that would be anyway as the limiting factor is going to be the amount of GPU memory (graphics card memory), You said yours had 512 MB but the recent versions of Photoshop require a minimum of 2GB. I am not sure if you could install an older version of Photoshop CC  if you upgrade to High Sierra which should be possible for your Mac. However, the fact is that your Mac is old and there is a lot of new technology that needs modern hardware to run on.

The option of going back to Photoshop 4 on a Windows PC is not ideal I would think. If you can afford to buy a new Mac, the M1 Mac minis are very reasonably priced (for Macs) and have superb performance. The baseline version is £699 and they are available at 0% finance at the moment. You would need a monitor but you would need that with a Win PC anyway. I have an old Apple 21" display that you would be welcome to have for nothing if you want as it has been sitting idle for some time now and I don't need it. I think it would work on one of the new Macs with an adapter.

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I have an installer for CS2 which is what I use on rare occasions. Rather antiquated but newer than 4 and you are welcome to a copy. You would have to be agnostic about the licence terms though, but you may think that Adobe have had enough of your money by now.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks MDM and Spacecadet ! Everything I own is now in my old farmhouse in Hungary so unfortunately, taking a monitor there wouldn't be viable ! I do have a copy of Photoshop CS2 as well as the CS4 but I can't use either as I no longer have a Windows pc to install them on ! I will have to invest in a new computer at some point but concentrating on sorting / renovating my rural house over in Hungary at the moment ! My photography is taking a bit of a back seat at the moment as it is becoming less and less financially rewarding and although I will be hanging on with Alamy, the amount of new uploads will be markedly less than previously but I would still like to have a usable Photoshop to use.

As a side note, I have been putting together a plan to utilise my large garden and the small cottage located within the garden with the aim of renovating it as an accommodation for UK people who have gone through domestic abuse and want a quiet safe holiday spot to relax in and as such, I have been putting together a soon to be launched Go Fund Me so that is where my efforts are going into for now !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Martyn said:

As a side note, I have been putting together a plan to utilise my large garden and the small cottage located within the garden with the aim of renovating it as an accommodation for UK people who have gone through domestic abuse and want a quiet safe holiday spot to relax in and as such, I have been putting together a soon to be launched Go Fund Me so that is where my efforts are going into for now !

A very sound idea, hope all goes to plan.

On 20/07/2021 at 09:04, Martyn said:

I am now getting a countdown box on my Photoshop cc that informs me as of today, it will only work for another 24 days as there is no connection to Adobe for verification which is no surprise as it tries to use Safari for the verification process. I contacted Adobe on their chat line and spent a fruitless 30 minutes with a disinterested and unhelpful "advisor", the upshot being that Adobe and Apple have decided between them that older os will no longer be supported. In my case for the Mac os, Photoshop will no longer work on any os older than Mojave so it's a case of upgrade the os or get a new Mac if I wish to continue with Photoshop ! I am now in the process of backing up everything that I haven't backed up already and will attempt to upgrade in 2 stages, from Mountain Lion to high Sierra and from there to Mojave. The Apple website indicates that I should be able to upgrade my Mac, just,

If I remember correctly some time back Adobe turned off the license verification servers for CS2, and so users could reinstall CS2, they published license codes that would activate it. What Mac do you have? I believe that Mac's that can run Mojave will also run Catalina, these typically being 2012 models. Catalina requires 64 bit applications, while Mojave doesn't. If upgrading the OS, consider maximising the memory, 16GB would likely be ideal.

• Thanks 1

Hi SB Photos ... it is a mid 2011 I.Mac so just maybe six months too old ! I have 16GB of RAM but it seems the problem will be the graphics card which is only 512MB ...

41 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Hi SB Photos ... it is a mid 2011 I.Mac so just maybe six months too old ! I have 16GB of RAM but it seems the problem will be the graphics card which is only 512MB ...

Your iMac will only take up to High Sierra 10.13.6. it won't run Mojave. When new your iMac could have been configured with 512MB, 1TB or 2TB graphics cards. The Radeon 6970M 1 and 2TB video cards are very unreliable, and are the main reason this iMac is usually scrapped. They also run quite hot, great for the winter but not for the current hot spell.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking beyond Macs, my home Win10 has no issues but the old laptop I take out into the bad world for live news runs 8 so has fallen foul of this update. I should probably drag it into the twenty-first century.

Edit: using update on Edge didn't do the trick but finding a manual download for Edge 11 has.

Edited by Avpics

I have a similar old iMac, purchased mid 2011. I'm currently running El Capitan and Photoshop CS5. I may upgrade to High Sierra but not sure if CS5 will work on it.  All my other programs are running fine so maybe I shouldn't bother upgrading the OS.

7 hours ago, MariaJ said:

I have a similar old iMac, purchased mid 2011. I'm currently running El Capitan and Photoshop CS5. I may upgrade to High Sierra but not sure if CS5 will work on it.  All my other programs are running fine so maybe I shouldn't bother upgrading the OS.

Yours is exactly the same age as mine then but I still have the original Mountain Lion running. I may upgrade it to High Sierra later but that still will not enable me to run the latest version of Photoshop CC. I have an original sealed in the box CS4 Extended that I have never used but it's a Windows version and much as I dislike Windows, if worst comes to worst, I will get a pc and install that as it will be better than nothing ...

36 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Yours is exactly the same age as mine then but I still have the original Mountain Lion running. I may upgrade it to High Sierra later but that still will not enable me to run the latest version of Photoshop CC. I have an original sealed in the box CS4 Extended that I have never used but it's a Windows version and much as I dislike Windows, if worst comes to worst, I will get a pc and install that as it will be better than nothing ...

If you install CS4 on a suitable Windows beware you will likely not be able to activate it. Adobe turned off the activation server some time back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sb photos said:

If you install CS4 on a suitable Windows beware you will likely not be able to activate it. Adobe turned off the activation server some time back.

Oh ok, I wasn't aware of that .... I'm starting to dislike Adobe intensely !!

9 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Like many others I’ve looked for alternatives to suit my needs, but without success.

A few people have recommended Affinity by Serif and it seems to have plenty of good reviews, it is also a one off payment so I will look into that when the time is right ..

So an interesting update ! I noticed that Adobe have taken out another payment three days ago despite my Photoshop being due to stop working tomorrow ... I did try to get it to verify by using my mobile 'phone as an internet hotspot but that didn't succeed either so I connected to Adobe live chat to cancel my subscription and to ensure no more payments would be taken. The guy who I chatted to couldn't have been more helpful, polar opposite to the numpty I spoke to before ! He informed me that what I was told by the last guy was wrong and that Adobe will still support os as old as Sierra and that I don't need the latest os. He also gave me three months free use on my account so ... I will back up any remaining files that I need to back up today and then see if I can upgrade to High Sierra and if that works, I will see if my Photoshop continues to work after tomorrow ...