Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I found this very interesting tutorial on how to create a rainbow not using the sky replacement tool. It's a bit more involved, but I think the results look a lot more natural.

I also found out that there is a default feature using the gradient tool. Photoshop's built-in "Russell's Rainbow", who knew? Not me.

Anyway, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DfWw9ycoMY&list=LL&index=2

 

  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Too much work. Rather have the real thing.

 

I think I will go chasing rainbows. The mild form of a storm chaser.

 

Allan

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Too much work. Rather have the real thing.

 

I think I will go chasing rainbows. The mild form of a storm chaser.

 

Allan

 

 

Apparently, being an ambulance-chaser is more profitable. 🤑

 

I'm with you. When it comes to rainbows, I prefer the real thing. Same goes for unicorns. 🦄

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

When I was touring England in 2019, we were at Castlerigg Stone Circle on the summer solstice eve.  Weather was very unsettled.  We waited for sun but eventually moved on.  Just as we were driving away, the sun came out with an incredible rainbow.  We rushed back driving like crazy and running a sprint.  Just as I was extending my tripod, the rainbow disappeared.  I was so frustrated I resolved to put in a fake rainbow (not something I usually do).  Here is the result:

https://www.alamy.com/rainbow-over-castlerigg-stone-circle-on-summer-solstice-eve-with-sun-and-dark-clouds-over-cumbrian-mountains-in-lake-district-keswick-england-image330963963.rainbow-over-castlerigg-stone-circle-on-html

Edited by Reimar
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Reimar said:

When I was touring England in 2019, we were at Castlerigg Stone Circle on the summer solstice eve.  Weather was very unsettled.  We waited for sun but eventually moved on.  Just as we were driving away, the sun came out with an incredible rainbow.  We rushed back driving like crazy and running a sprint.  Just as I was extending my tripod, the rainbow disappeared.  I was so frustrated I resolved to put in a fake rainbow (not something I usually do).  Here is the result:

https://www.alamy.com/rainbow-over-castlerigg-stone-circle-on-summer-solstice-eve-with-sun-and-dark-clouds-over-cumbrian-mountains-in-lake-district-keswick-england-image330963963.rainbow-over-castlerigg-stone-circle-on-html

 

Impressive fake rainbow. It's probably not too late to add a unicorn or two. 😎

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've got a few real rainbow shots in my collection. This one is an oldie (35mm scan, probably older than some forum memebers) taken at the Zapotec ruins of Mitla near Oaxaca, Mexico. Handheld with a manual focus Minolta. Rainbows don't wait for tripods IME.

 

Rainbow over the Zapotec ruins of Mitla, Oaxaca, Mexico Stock Photo

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got more than I thought when I looked... All the real thing!

These 3 taken without leaving my apartment!

 

FGD48C.jpg

 

D0H7HG.jpg

 

DKHWF3.jpg

 

Phil

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

a-full-rainbow-during-a-rare-rain-shower-on-the-arid-semi-desert-mountain-J3WJP9.jpg

 

 

 

This is my favourite rainbow pic, taken in Fuerteventura, Canary Islands, which is a semi-desert. Aside from the few drops that fell when this rainbow appeared, I have never seen it rain there.

 

 

 

 

choppy-seas-and-rainbow-in-the-port-of-garachico-renowned-for-having-EB40RE.jpg

 

 

 

 

And this is another favourite of mine, from Garachico, Tenerife, where it does rain quite frequently.

 

Personally I don't like the false rainbows - most of them look garish and far too big.

Edited by MDM
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MDM said:

Personally I don't like the false rainbows - most of them look garish and far too big.

I agree, fake rainbows are probably used too aggressively most of the time but that's where the opacity slider comes in. The YouTube guy did a nice job of showing how it can be done gracefully and with a lot of control on how to arrive at the final result.

I don't shoot a heck of a lot of landscapes and haven't used this method (yet or ever), but I did learn about the default feature in the gradient tool. That was news to me.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rico said:

I agree, fake rainbows are probably used too aggressively most of the time but that's where the opacity slider comes in. The YouTube guy did a nice job of showing how it can be done gracefully and with a lot of control on how to arrive at the final result.

 

 

 

Sure - I like that style of video - short, sweet and to the point. I don't see myself ever using it on a landscape  image but it might come in handy sometime for a design. I used to read all of Russell's tutorials back in the day - he had some great tips. I have loads of them saved somewhere (the gradient used is called Russell's rainbow). 

Edited by MDM
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MDM said:

Personally I don't like the false rainbows - most of them look garish and far too big.

It helps if there was a weak rainbow or one just before taking the shot.  For a weak rainbow, you can match it and only slightly intensify it and still look natural.  In my case at Castlerigg, the rainbow was very intense, and I think I matched what we saw only moments before.

Edited by Reimar
Link to post
Share on other sites

A real one over Hollywood:

Rainbow over Hollywood Sign and Los Angeles. Scenic view from Hollywood Bowl Overlook. With rainbow and rain storm Stock Photo

 

wim

 

edit: just checked: $142 gross in total for 3 licenses. Not too bad.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/07/2021 at 16:49, Reimar said:

It helps if there was a weak rainbow or one just before taking the shot.  For a weak rainbow, you can match it and only slightly intensify it and still look natural.  In my case at Castlerigg, the rainbow was very intense, and I think I matched what we saw only moments before.

There was a moment in one of those Clint Eastwood westerns about when a man with a rifle meets a man with a hand gun. I might suggest something similar about a man with a tripod and a hand-held operator. Might you have gotten the shot if you had just whipped out a nifty little compact? Almost all of my UK landscape work has been done travelling in my trusty old camper. Aside from being useful place to bed down it is also a comfortable place to wait for the light or weather to come 'round. wait for it is my often cry.

Edited by Robert M Estall
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Traveling with a camper sounds like a terrific way to do travel photography. 

As for a compact, it doesn't suit me.  I love traveling with a tripod.  It's great for night shots, taking lots of shots in a crowded place with moving people so I can stitch them out, and mostly, so I can take one shot and know I've nailed it.  In my old age I am so wobbly and unbalanced, I need to take lots of shots hand held in hopes one is straight and not blurred.

But the Castlerigg outing was hilarious.  Picture me sprinting with a camera, tripod, and umbrella, and trying to put it all together at the last second.  Yes, I might have got the tail end of the rainbow hand held, but most likely the shot wouldn't be usable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Traveling with a camper sounds like a terrific way to do travel photography. 

As for a compact, it doesn't suit me.  I love traveling with a tripod.  It's great for night shots, taking lots of shots in a crowded place with moving people so I can stitch them out, and mostly, so I can take one shot and know I've nailed it.  In my old age I am so wobbly and unbalanced, I need to take lots of shots hand held in hopes one is straight and not blurred.

But the Castlerigg outing was hilarious.  Picture me sprinting with a camera, tripod, and umbrella, and trying to put it all together at the last second.  Yes, I might have got the tail end of the rainbow hand held, but most likely the shot wouldn't be usable.

 

That sounds like a Mr. Bean scenario.

 

Just wondering about 2AAFBCN. I've never been to Niagara Falls, but that double rainbow looks almost too good to be true.

 

 

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Just wondering about 2AAFBCN. I've never been to Niagara Falls, but that double rainbow looks almost too good to be true.

 

 

Good catch John.  That is a pretty intense rainbow.  I still had the RAW file on my computer, so I could check.  The primary rainbow was indeed there, but not so intense.  I remember waiting until the end just hit the Maid of the Mist boat.  I must have added a processed rainbow to bump it up that much.  The secondary rainbow I can hardly see on the plain RAW file, so that must be artificially enhanced as well.  Luckily I remembered to reverse the secondary rainbow spectrum.

 

Hey, you know, this ain't the National Geographic.  I figure with stock photography, pumping up the saturation and contrast for punchier images is a good thing 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Reimar said:

 

But the Castlerigg outing was hilarious.  Picture me sprinting with a camera, tripod, and umbrella, and trying to put it all together at the last second.  Yes, I might have got the tail end of the rainbow hand held, but most likely the shot wouldn't be usable.

Last time I visited Castlerigg I had the camper but stayed overnight a mile or so away planning to get on site really early before visitors. I knew the site so had a huge step ladder tied to the roof. I dragged the kit to the edge of the circle and stabilized it thoroughly. The early light was great and I took my time about it. When I turned around to descend, there was an orderly gang of Japanese visitors awaiting their turn. They did ask if they could have a go! I had a quick shufty at their gear ( this was pre-digital) and decided they looked pretty harmless and noncompetitive and let them climb up. I did think afterwards that I might have been in dire straights if anyone had taken a tumble. The platform was about 12 foot, so high enough to hurt.

 

Oh, and Reimar, I've recently turned 80 and still reckon hand-held is the way to go if there is light to see and you're not looking for blur

Edited by Robert M Estall
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How about four rainbows?  Beside Loch Duich in Scotland, which was directly behind me, and dead calm.  The sun reflects off the loch surface so hits the raindrops at a different angle from the direct sunlight.   It's been featured on the Atmospheric Optics website for a number of years and also used in a book Kaleidoscope Sky by Tim Herd.

 

double-reflection-rainbow-loch-duich-near-dornie-invernessshire-scotland-ACX5JA.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

How about four rainbows?  Beside Loch Duich in Scotland, which was directly behind me, and dead calm.  The sun reflects off the loch surface so hits the raindrops at a different angle from the direct sunlight.   It's been featured on the Atmospheric Optics website for a number of years and also used in a book Kaleidoscope Sky by Tim Herd.

 

double-reflection-rainbow-loch-duich-near-dornie-invernessshire-scotland-ACX5JA.jpg

That’s fantastic!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Reimar said:

Traveling with a camper sounds like a terrific way to do travel photography. 

As for a compact, it doesn't suit me.  I love traveling with a tripod.  

 

10 hours ago, Reimar said:

 

 

Hey, you know, this ain't the National Geographic.  I figure with stock photography, pumping up the saturation and contrast for punchier images is a good thing 🙂


Do you love travelling with a tripod or do you love the results? I used to always have a tripod when shooting landscapes and I still usually have one in the car if driving, as you can’t beat having the total control that a tripod allows - low ISO, whatever shutter speed and aperture you want. However, as my body strength is not what it used to be, I also usually have a Nikon Z series mirrorless camera with 5-stop IBIS and great performance at moderately high ISO (up to 1600 or so). This allows me to get pictures that I would not have been able to get not so long ago and my body is thanking me for it. I can shoot confidently at 1/30 or less if really necessary. So not a compact but a very light combo with the 24-70 f4 (Nikon’s  amazing pro quality kit lens) weighing in at 1.1 kg or thereabouts. 
 

As far as saturation and contrast are concerned, I am all for freedom to do what you want. It is a matter of taste which for me varies over time. I do think it was good though when we had to declare if an image was digitally altered (as in dropping in a sky or a rainbow, for example). Looking at my rainbow from Fuerteventura above, I would probably make it a bit more punchy now but it was originally processed on a different monitor to the one I use now   This brings up an important point being - what you see on your monitor is not necessarily what I will see and most likely is not what I will see. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.