July 2021 Challenge: Small town life

Our entire valley, c/w villages, has a population a little in excess of the 10,000 mark set, but hopefully my adopted home of Sidmouth (officially a "small town" in UK figures) should just scrape in!

Our lifeboat crew isn't part of the RNLI, it's entirely supported by the local community and visitors. The lifeboat is launched from this specially adapted tractor.

sidmouth-4th-feb-17-sidmouth-lifeboat-se

Lady walking her poodle along the seafront on a breezy morning.

sidmouth-devon-10th-apr-2016-uk-weather-

Visitors love the seafront, even on a rainy day.

sidmouth-devon-2nd-june-17-umbrellas-to-

• Love 1

Ohhh!  Small town LIFE!  Not "Small town WIFE".

I have been searching my port for the wrong subject.

Allan

My three.

1. Some very neat wheelbarrows in Thornbury.  Painted in the colours of the LMS railway, apparently.

Thornbury, a south gloucestershire town england uk. The wheelbarrows at the allotments , painted in the colours of the LMS Railway. Stock Photo

2. There are some independent Coffe shops in Thornbury but also some examples of the big chains, this is Coffee #1. The chains have more expensive lighting.

Cafe #1 in Thornbury Gloucestershire England UK Stock Photo

3. This is Corsham in Wiltshire. Printed in the Times, stolen by the esate agents.

Corsham a small town in wiltshire near chippenham, England UK On a bright September day. Stock Photo

• Love 1

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/HF5D69/mother-with-small-child-and-baby-in-a-carrier-bike-cycling-home-in-HF5D69.jpg

Broek in Waterland - 6 km / 4 mile North of Amsterdam. HF5D69 - 

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/BF3547/entrance-to-mcdonald-kansas-with-rail-road-crossing-sign-trains-and-BF3547.jpg

BF3547 -  McDonald - Kansas

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/BHAWJR/town-sign-freedom-wyoming-idaho-border-town-population-100-elevation-BHAWJR.jpg

BHAWJR - Freedom - Wyoming/Idaho border town

Wait the challenge said life. Most of my images of small villages have no people in them. I will quarantine and practice self-criticism for a week. 😩

wim

• Love 1

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/BHAWJR/town-sign-freedom-wyoming-idaho-border-town-population-100-elevation-BHAWJR.jpg

BHAWJR - Freedom - Wyoming/Idaho border town

Wait the challenge said life. Most of my images of small villages have no people in them. I will quarantine and practice self-criticism for a week. 😩

wim

The location makes me smile.

Paulette

Congrats on your win Lori - and a great topic!

Ironically, for a New Yorker, it turns out that the two smallest "towns" I could find are my current and adopted home towns. Most of the little towns on Cape Cod and elsewhere in New England, or out in the midwest that I've photographed topped the 10,000 mark. And in Europe since shooting stock, every place I've been has been a city. So here are three from "home":

Crowds lined up at Hole-in-the-Wall Beach at McCook's Point Park in Niantic, Connecticut, pop 2,935 (doubles or more in summer) to view a US Navy Hovercraft landing as part of the opening day celebrations for Operation Sail 2012, commemorating the bicentennial of the War of 1812 and the penning of the Star Spangled Banner. Niantic, where my family has had a summer cottage for over half a century, is a village within the larger town of East Lyme.

niantic-connecticut-july-6-2012-a-crowd-at-mccooks-point-park-watches-CMB140.jpg

Neighbors (including my husband & brother, mostly hidden behind the car), helping to push start a stalled car during the annual 4th of July Parade in Black Point, the Beach Association in Niantic where our house is located. That’s what small-town life is all about. Home-made “floats,” decorated cars, firetrucks, kids on bikes, old-timers in a kazoo band, putting together a parade each year, and neighbors helping each other out so the show goes on. 

niantic-connecticut-july-4-2012-residents-celebrate-independence-day-CMAG7M.jpg

And in my actual home town, Chappaqua, NY - which isn't a "town" at all, actually a "hamlet," , with a population of 1,436. It is situated in the larger town of New Castle (which you won’t find on a postal map, since the larger town includes parts of Chappaqua, Millwood, Mt. Kisco, Ossining, and Armonk) and much of it is referred too as “Chappaqua,” although only the oldest part of town is technically in the hamlet, which is where both my home and the Clintons’ are located. Here they are in the downtown hamlet chatting with neighbors after the annual Memorial Day Parade. Since moving to town shortly before the president left office, they have always been active participants in town life. 

Small town life and parades just seem to go together. 

bill-clinton-and-hillary-clinton-shake-hands-with-world-war-ii-veteran-BPFMG2.jpg

• Love 2

Lots of lovely dinky villages around East Lothian where I live. 

I did a tour of village halls on the day of the Scottish parliament elections. Some really picturesque places.

east-lothian-scotland-united-kingdom-6th

Sketchers at Athelstaneford village church

athelstaneford-east-lothian-scotland-uni

Primary schoolchildren celebrate the Saltire Festival In Athelstaneford, the birthplace of the Scottish flag.

athelstaneford-east-lothian-scotland-uni

• Love 1

Old man taking a nap in  the sun, 1980, Le Casset in the French Alps (pop unknown but probably <200)

old-man-taking-a-nap-in-the-sun-in-1980-le-casset-hautes-alpes-france-2G8XHEG.jpg

Woman with milk churns, 1981, Iphofen, Germany (pop 4725)

woman-pushing-milk-churns-in-cart-in-1981-iphofen-bavaria-germany-2G644K3.jpg

People and seagull, 2008, Lyme Regis, UK (pop 4805)

couple-in-red-shirts-sitting-beside-the-sea-at-lyme-regis-dorset-DT3DND.jpg

Alan

• Love 1

On 19/07/2021 at 11:16, wiskerke said:

wim

No people required, Wim. ☺️ 

• Like 1

On 25/07/2021 at 15:32, Lori Rider said:

No people required, Wim. ☺️ 

VERY small town.

Allan

Where Lobsters reign.

Bar Harbor, Maine, population about 5500.

2FNDXJJ.jpg

Yoder, Kansas, an Amish community. Population 179.

PTX384.jpg

.AX71PT.jpg

Wheat harvest

Fairview, Oklahoma. Population about 2600.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

On 19/07/2021 at 17:54, John Morrison said:

Three recent pix...

Mr Happy, your one-stop shop for cheap booze in Thorne, South Yorkshire.

man-walking-past-shop-mr-happy-off-licence-in-thorne-south-yorkshire-england-uk-2FKW6TP.jpg

Thanks for the tip John, on my way...! 😁🍺🥂

On 11/07/2021 at 15:49, Allan Bell said:

Ohhh!  Small town LIFE!  Not "Small town WIFE".

I have been searching my port for the wrong subject.

Allan

Still searching for a "Small town Wife" but no one has come forward yet.

Allan

This is the small market town of Hungerford on the Kennet & Avon Canal in Berkshire (population 5767, Image ID: 2CF3T6Y):

hungerford-berkshire-uk-view-of-the-kennet-and-avon-canal-with-narrowboats-2CF3T6Y.jpg

The small mountain-top village of Rimplas in the French Alps (population 91):

view-of-rimplas-a-picturesque-village-perched-on-a-hill-in-the-french-JNJJR2.jpg

A wet summer day in the Welsh seaside resort of Tenby (population 4696):

a-couple-walking-along-tenby-promenade-past-colourful-buildings-with-an-umbrella-on-a-rainy-day-pembrokeshire-wales-TRRCYX.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

A dummy man hangs with a noose round the neck in Tideswell, Derbyshire, England, United Kingdom as part of the town's Wakes Week, June 19th to 26th, 2021. A notice invites passers-by to guess the name of the man in history it refers to. It refers to Anthony Lingard of Litton who was convicted in 1815 at Derby Assizes of the murder of Hannah Oliver, tollhouse keeper at Wardlow Mires. He was hanged at Derby Jail, and by order of the judge, Sir John Bailey, his body was gibbeted (hung on public display) at Peter’s Stone in Cressbrookdale.

2G4DEYR.jpg

• Love 1