What Do You Think, Guys?

Ed Rooney

Question

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Halo? I don't see no halo. I must have lost my Catholic view. 

Look at the outline of the statue against the sky. The area around the outline of the statue is significantly lighter than the rest of the sky exposure. Normally this happens if you push and pull the highlights/shadows in an image to a significant degree, and these "halos" can form to varying intensities around sudden boundaries of exposure change in an image, like at horizons or around tree lines. I think the effect, while usually unwanted works well in the image as the halo or "glow" around the statue goes hand in hand with the subject. 

Edited by Cal

The Sky Replacement tool in Photoshop is very useful and I can fully understand why Ed is using it on those images.

There are a lot of tweaks that can be made with it to match colours etc with the sliders in the dialog box.

Once done a lot more can be altered by opening up the layers. You can blur the sky with Gaussian Blur to suit the original image and you can go into the mask and go over the edges of the subject with the brush tool (using white or black depending on the mask) set the blending option to 'opacity' with a very low flow and clean up the edges. Remember to set the opacity back to normal when you've finished or you'll wonder why your brush tool isn't working properly later!

It's also possible to tint the sky by adding an adjustment layer (I use photo filter but a fill layer would also work). Clip this layer to the sky layer and reduce the opacity or put a black mask on it and paint in what you want with a white brush ... hours of tweaking fun to be had (with the hope of selling for a few dollars!).

I'm now building up quite a collection of skys .. maybe I should put them on Alamy :)

14 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oh look! Now it's a barber with a halo!

bold-st-barber-on-bold-street-in-liverpo

Looks as though he is cutting his own hair.

Allan

• Like 1

On 04/07/2021 at 11:56, Ed Rooney said:

Is this sky replacement re-edit okay, or just a lot of visual BS? 

2G666AD.jpg

Edo,

I will agree with most that this is not working very well.  If it were me, I would darken (burn down) the spire along with 

most of the left 1/3 of the images.  As Gene use to say, "A little darkness always helps."  Mr. Smith did not really say that

but he did print that way.

Chuck

Yes, Chuck, Smith liked to have both a black and a white in his prints. But that was serious photojournalism and he was working in B&W. This image is just another stock pic of a too-often visited subject. I've moved on. 

• Like 1

So here is my take on a saturated sujbect/topic '- Fitness.  As per the blog: 'never underestimate your ability to provide a completely new take on a saturated topic'.  Colours in this image not quite as saturated or over saturated as the example in the blog but I think they meant to put a twist on the original, so I played with it.   I see it licensed this morning and there were at least two other options where I did not get 'creative', those were not chosen.  While reviewing images pirior to the new contract I had considered pulling this one out of the port now I'll be keeping it.  Gotta get creative, and Ed is headed in the right direction.  Keep experimenting with those images Ed.

2C7AWTD.jpg

Helen

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 05/07/2021 at 18:03, Ed Rooney said:

Me being a newbie but i certainly can't understand why a customer would buy such rainbow pics - there are ones with vertical rainbows or even an aerial view ... 
Maybe I'm naive and really anything could sell, dunno 
BT

24 minutes ago, BeeTee said:

Me being a newbie but i certainly can't understand why a customer would buy such rainbow pics - there are ones with vertical rainbows or even an aerial view ... 
Maybe I'm naive and really anything could sell, dunno 
BT

I'm not sure they do. You certainly see some pictures published that are somewhat oversaturated and have specific tones in the highlights and shadows, perhaps grain added too, vignette etc., but not with such obviously fake insertions. It's a fun exercise to try to work out the fake rainbows from the real ones 🙃

Edited by Steve F

Rainbows. Sold that one. Here. It was a pretty scary situation actually. Camping in an open field with a severe weather warning for damaging winds and giant hail.

And that one

I also have a genuine rainbow (I have no fake ones actually) on the first page you found. Here

Weak and not a strong picture but hey genuine! Legally blonde. 

Gen

• Like 1