Can you give me some advice?

Sebas Jakim

I recently uploaded my first photos here and i´d love some advice from you fellows. Some info in advance:

-The photos were taken in the past and my idea to upload to stock photos is recently, so themes of interest may not be the best. I can´t correct this right now obviusly, but i´ll keep in mind
-Sorry for my english, it´s not my native language...

Thanks!

Your photos are lovely. They are a bit on the dark side and beautiful that way but photos selling for stock seem to do better if they are bright and colorful. Put the latin names of animals in your captions and keywords. Sometimes people search using the latin name. If you look at the thread on the forum that asks for critiques you will see a lot of advice.

Paulette

• Love 1

Thanks! Yes, i noticed that, i think that now that i learned the mechanism of the page i´ll start shooting specifically on purpose to sell, so my style wil be aimed to that. I´ll look for the latin names and add them...

• Like 1

I just clicked in to #2G4WFW5. It looked to me like a juvenile Black-Crowned Night Heron, and your caption is Garza bruja, which I looked up and found is indeed Black-crowned Night Heron. But in your keywords, you have written 'Green Heron', 'cormorant' and 'phalacrocorax', all of which are wrong.

In our contract there's a clause saying we are responsible for the accuracy of the information we append to our files, so we need to be careful. Anyway, there's no point in attracting a buyer who wants a photo of a Cormorant, or a Green Heron, to a photo of a Black-Crowned Night Heron.  En cambio, if you don't have 'Black-Crowned Night Heron' in your caption and keywords (preferably both), buyers looking for B-C NH and searching in English, won't see your photo. If I were you, I'd write the caption as 'Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron, Nycticorax nycticora (Garza Bruja) and also the location and country of the photo in the caption. I'd also put each of these as keywords.

In your keywords, as well as those I mentioned above, you shouldn't write 'black' (on its own, nothing is black in the photo). I personally wouldn't write feather, feathers or wing on that photo, as most people searching for e.g. 'feather' probably want to see just one actual feather. But that might just be my indocrination from the 'other place' where I sell - it isn't, as far as I know, a rule on Alamy.

In image #2G5E8BD, you have just written 'woodpecker'. For sure, someone might search only on woodpecker, but it's at least as likely, maybe more, that they'll search on the species name, so it's worth doing a bit of research. I don't know anything about South American Woodpeckers, but on a quick check, your photo MIGHT show  a male Green-barred woodpecker, Colaptes melanochloros tal vez, no sé. You can check that for yourself. If it is that species, you could also keyword it in Spanish, and also Portuguese, as it occurs in Brazil. If it's a different species, use the correct English, Scientific Latin, Spanish (and Portuguese, if relevant) names in your caption and keywords.

I understand how difficult it must be to have the extra step of keywording in a language which isn't your native language.

Edited by Cryptoprocta
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

Thank you both for the feedback! I´ll correct the mistakes.
With keywords, i´ve been copying them from other photo stock site that makes them automatically, so some errors may occur. I try to check them and filter what´s not ok, but some escaped my control.

18 hours ago, Sebas Jakim said:

Thank you both for the feedback! I´ll correct the mistakes.
With keywords, i´ve been copying them from other photo stock site that makes them automatically, so some errors may occur. I try to check them and filter what´s not ok, but some escaped my control.

this is a danger, should a buyer rely on your KW and caption and be mislead you could be held liable for any impact on them, you are in the end responsible for your own representation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

this is a danger, should a buyer rely on your KW and caption and be mislead you could be held liable for any impact on them, you are in the end responsible for your own representation.

I tend to agree. Though it must be very difficult to keyword in another language (I couldn't do it), it seems that most times someone's keywords are consistently wrong, it's because they're using some sort of auto keywording system. Too risky, IMO.

Edited by Cryptoprocta
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cryptoprocta said:

I tend to agree. Though it must be very difficult to keyword in another language (I couldn't do it), it seems that most times someones keywords are consistently wrong, it's because they're using some sort of auto keywording system. Too risky, IMO.

one thing is i still think people are at risk using most of the auto KW.  I know one of them uses the expression "KW suggestion", and let's the contributor pick and chose.  They would likely still be at risk picking misleading ones.  

I agree the language thing makes it more challenging.  I'm not even sure i would be comfortable doing it in French which is my maternal language, i know it would require much more time and research. 

for my part (me being a newby) dict.leo.org is the address to go - at least they are covering a LOT. 

if I have a bird, butterfly or flower - anything with a scientific name I'd use wiki for the desired language 
to find the common name. it might take a while but i think I'm better off in the end with some 15 minutes extra work. 

just my 2 cents

• 2 months later...

Some like that borderline HDR look

that makes viewers wonder,

"is it HDR or is it real

it looks real, yet..."

try this if you dare:

in ACR or similar:

a. exposure slider add +0.7

b. contrast slider to +60
c. highlights slider to -80

d. shadows slider to +80