Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I must say that plants are sold and many times they are not just peanuts.

I recently had a sale for $ 500. It is not easy to say why something is sold and something is not. There are many reasons.
The prerequisite for the sale is to be on the first page at the top.
After a brief review of the keywords 'daylily + closeup' I found that no one had looked for them in the last year.
I don't want to take away your hope, but with 123 images, the probability of a sale is almost zero.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My impression is that the places looking for botanical shots want the full plant or the full flower.  People looking for the close up of the reproductive apparatus of flower probably exist, but those will be rarer sales.  Most textbooks are more likely to use a drawing for those details.  Adobe refuses most flower shots, I've read somewhere, unless they're remarkable.  I've licensed one of double African violets because most people with double African violets didn't put that in as a tag.  About three or four people did. 

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my very first sale today (a colorful summer sunset at Rock Harbor on Cape Cod). Thank you Alamy. This initial sale gives me the motivation to work much harder and upload a lot more of my better landscape and nature photographs.

Jerry 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JGantar said:

Got my very first sale today (a colorful summer sunset at Rock Harbor on Cape Cod). Thank you Alamy. This initial sale gives me the motivation to work much harder and upload a lot more of my better landscape and nature photographs.

Jerry 

Well done Jerry, the first sale is great, isn't it? Now, forget that one and focus on getting your second!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the day when stock photography was a viable profession the rule of thumb was your well curated (no similars) and properly key-worded portfolio on Alamy earned $1.00 per image per year gross. So you could expect your 1,000 images to earn $1,000.00. Since then reductions in the commission, the rise of microstock and economic upheaval has reduced that percentage to roughly .40 cents per image, $400.00 gross. Now, with a further reduction of 20% you can expect  $320.00 or .32 each. So to earn the $250.00 gross sales minimum you need at least 780 images in your portfolio, netting $100. 

Edited by formerly snappyoncalifornia
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, formerly snappyoncalifornia said:

So to earn the $250.00 gross sales minimum you need at least 780 images in your portfolio, netting $100. 

 

and that's if ALL your sales are affiliate free, Distributor free, Alamy made sure they were billed for, Client actually paid and you are lucky enough to not have Alamy download any undue liability on you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

so 780 images calculation doesn't sound at all safe. I don't really rate the only numbers concept, but nobody is really in the game until they have crossed the 1000 mark. We do have some serious players  who have less  than 2,000 images uploaded but they are the exceptions. There are outliers, several years ago, I cleared the $25,000 goal in just one sale, but I fear we may all wait a long time to see that again

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/06/2021 at 20:06, JGantar said:

I’ve been uploading my better photographs to major stock agencies for a little over a year. I’ve had good success with Shutterstock, iStock, and Adobe Stock (more than 260 sales of so far). However, I’ve had ZERO sales from Alamy. What’s up?  I not expecting to generate a huge number of sales from Alamy, but nothing at all!  Have other contributors experienced similar results?

Jerry

 

I was very pleased with Alamy last year (considering my small portfolio) with regular sales but since the 1 st January not even one sale...😪 I uploaded mostly exclusive images here but no result. I can understand my portfolio is small but when I compare with adobestock (2 to 3 sales a week without uploading since 3 years) I am disappointed . May be a brexit effect....

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/06/2021 at 21:52, Radim said:

I must say that plants are sold and many times they are not just peanuts.

I recently had a sale for $ 500. It is not easy to say why something is sold and something is not. There are many reasons.
The prerequisite for the sale is to be on the first page at the top.
After a brief review of the keywords 'daylily + closeup' I found that no one had looked for them in the last year.
I don't want to take away your hope, but with 123 images, the probability of a sale is almost zero.

 

Flowers can sell (I have sold them).. but I really think that you need to know the name/species of the flower. You need to know it's latin name and 'common' name(s). Generic 'pretty pink flower' probably isn't going to hack it in terms of selling the image!

Edited by Matt Ashmore
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Pimborough said:

 

 

I've not seen a "brexit" effect as sales haven't really declined its more likely to be a COVID effect as no one is travelling anywhere

 

Thks David. But my sales have not really declined on other stock sites during the lockdown, either... Only on Alamy. And I see you live in UK, may be the behaviour of customers is different. Wait and see... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt Ashmore said:

 

Flowers can sell (I have sold them).. but I really think that you need to know the name/species of the flower. You need to know it's latin name and 'common' name(s). Generic 'pretty pink flower' probably isn't going to hack it in terms of selling the image!

I fully agree with your opinion, I'm just embarrassed why it's under my post when we're not obviously at odds or I'm missing something?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.