6 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

I'll read an anecdote about getting money out of a phone provider any day!

I had a check from Verizon at one point that moved around with me and finally got lost -- for not much money, though.  It was more handy as a bookmark. 

On 04/06/2021 at 17:27, Mr Standfast said:

This turned up in my e-mail today.

It looks like phishing, do not reply. I have deleted the return address which called itself "contributor balances"

I have forwarded it to Alamy.

Sent: Friday, June 4, 2021 12:05 PM
To:
Subject: Your Alamy Account - Update Payment Details

Hi James,

We’re sending you this email because you have held an account with Alamy and have accumulated

$26.78  in cleared sales. However as your account is now terminated and no payment details were provided to us, we have been unable to pay you.

We require your details by 28th June 2021. After this date, any amount that has been cleared for five or more years will be forfeited by you as per the terms of the contract you held with us.

You may not have funds over five years, but if you do they are listed below.

Amount held for five or more years: 0

If you have any questions about this let us know.

Thanks,

Kate

Alamy Finance Team

e:   w: http://www.alamy.com

a: Alamy, 127 Olympic Avenue, Milton, Abingdon, OX14 4SA

Follow us: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, YouTube, Blog

A disclaimer applies to all emails sent from Alamy.

For the full text please see http://www.alamy.com/terms/email-disclaimer.asp

I think it is probably genuine as I have had something similar but the first part was worded differently as for some reason they couldn't pay me and just want me to check my details on my contributor dashboard

I too have forwarded it to them just to double check but at the moment have just received the standard 'auto reply'.

I am invoking the Brooklyn amendment.

There are two stages to the Brooklyn amendment.

Stage One, start a thread and watch it go off topic.  Go tut, tut, but wait and see how it runs.

Stage Two, watch the the diversion turn into a squabble. Shake head, go tut tut again and say something.

Chaps, stop it.  I'll not make any comments on anything said before today. But Mark, are you sure about the U-turn comment? I think it was uncalled for.

There I've said my bit and all without using a very dusty red arrow.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Martin L said:

I think it is probably genuine as I have had something similar but the first part was worded differently as for some reason they couldn't pay me and just want me to check my details on my contributor dashboard

I too have forwarded it to them just to double check but at the moment have just received the standard 'auto reply'.

Thank you Martin, it;s probably genuine then. Still waiting till Monday.

25 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

I am invoking the Brooklyn amendment.

There are two stages to the Brooklyn amendment.

Stage One, start a thread and watch it go off topic.  Go tut, tut, but wait and see how it runs.

Stage Two, watch the the diversion turn into a squabble. Shake head, go tut tut again and say something.

Chaps, stop it.  I'll not make any comments on anything said before today. But Mark, are you sure about the U-turn comment? I think it was uncalled for.

There I've said my bit and all without using a very dusty red arrow.

I’m out of here James. Not worth trying to defend my honour any further. Just write me off as a sexist woke liberal.  I am Michael by the way not Mark.  Remark about u-turn was not meant as offensive. Just another guess. I don’t give red arrows. Enjoy your windfall when it arrives. No way this is phishing. 😀🤣

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Yeah, I had someone think that "a lot of Photoshop abuse here" referred to this forum, and not to Nicaragua. 

That's what I thought you meant. I couldn't work out why you said so definitely and without context that people on this forum were widely abusing Photoshop, and the Sony reference just left me bewildered.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MDM said:

No way this is phishing.

And I'd say that getting in touch with Alamy through a different email and NOT clicking on an email link and entering bank information is the prudent thing to do.  Maybe it's not a phishing letter, but only Alamy can say if they have some money for you or not.  Depending on how long ago Mr. Standfast used that email address with Alamy, any earlier money they couldn't deliver might fall under contract provisions like these:

12.6. If any remittances made to you by Alamy shall not have been cashed in any 2 year period, Alamy may remit the balance in your account to a charity of our choice.12.7. If you have not supplied payment details or any supplied details are incorrect or you have chosen a payment method that we no longer support then (i) if your cleared balance is over the payment threshold specified in clause

12.3 Alamy may remit any cleared balance that is over 2 years old to a charity of our choice; or (ii) if your cleared balance is under the payment threshold specified in clause 12.3 Alamy may remit any such cleared balance that is over 5 years old to a charity of our choice.

If someone hasn't resigned when the letter says they have, when they have changed the email address on the account; when they hav e been a member since 2003.  If the email doesn't tell you to go to your contributor page and check your banking details, I'd wait until Monday to see what Alamy says.   Good if it's not a phishing attempt, but only Alamy can say.  The thing that strike me as weird is that you haven't resigned.  I have and I haven't gotten any email about my $19 or whatever balance.  If Alamy has made payments in the last two years, they have the correct bank information, and if someone joined in 2003, they have continuity on the account unless that's inaccurate.  The clauses above would take care of any money owed earlier than two years ago or more recently.

Edited by MizBrown
clarification.

On 04/06/2021 at 11:06, Mr Standfast said:

Hello Allan, Are you refering to the forum personal details?  It actually came through to an old email address. 🦔

My spider sense on this one is that it doesn't sound like Alamy and if they've been paying you over the last two years, especially recently, and if Alamy has no reason to close your account and you haven't asked them to close it, and it's not the login email you've been using for the last two years, this all seems odd.  Mailing you on a Friday also is fishy.  if less than two years have passed since you last used that email address with Alamy, maybe it's real. 

Do let us know what you hear from Alamy, either way. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Monday morning and I'm waiting for Alamy.  It should'nt take them long to reply unless they show it to their lawyers and then it will take forever.

So untill then and this is better than keywording whilst wating for the groceries to be delivered; Here's my for and against arguments I went through before posting.

For Phishing.

The email I received was unsolicited  from an account I am not familiar with asking me to contact them to provide banking detail details about a closed account so I could receive a modest reward.

The reply email account is not on the Alamy contact page.

Mentioning a closed account when the open forum is running hot with the subject added to the plausibility.

Against Phishing.

The tone was pure Alamy.

Good grammar and spelling. (My internet friend, who by the way is a Nigerian Prince can't spell. Fortunetly his Uncles funds will be clearing shortly, appaently).

I worked in Money Laundering Reporting for years. Financial crime is truly pernicious and some of it's perpitrators are vey good at their "job". I have no problem with posting a "probably phishing" warning, because to be honest, my first reaction was to reply.

Stay safe.

🦔

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Aaaand the reply is in!

"Hi James

No this is legitimate and  has been sent via our Finance team to let you know to update your payment details.

Kind regards

Ellie"

Thank you Alamy.

Edited by Mr Standfast
Left out thank you
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Mr Standfast said:

Aaaand the reply is in!

"Hi James

No this is legitimate and  has been sent via our Finance team to let you know to update your payment details.

Kind regards

Ellie"

Thank you Alamy.

As I said. I would have been shocked if it was anything but authentic. 😀

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2

• Alamy locked this topic