Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Today, by chance, I discovered a load of my images being offered for sale (under my name) on a website that I'd never heard of: www.guliverimage.com.  Unless I'm losing my marbles, I'm certain that I've never signed up to this site!  They have 26 pages of my work, all attributed to me.  My research discovered that they are based in Sofia, Zagreb and Bucharest.  Are they perhaps in some way affiliated to Alamy?  Are they pirates? (On the face of it their website looks professional.)  I assume they haven't got my bank details - if they have, it's an even bigger worry - so I assume they've no intention of paying me.  Anyone else had a similar experience and/or have any advice?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, will perrett said:

Today, by chance, I discovered a load of my images being offered for sale (under my name) on a website that I'd never heard of: www.guliverimage.com.  Unless I'm losing my marbles, I'm certain that I've never signed up to this site!  They have 26 pages of my work, all attributed to me.  My research discovered that they are based in Sofia, Zagreb and Bucharest.  Are they perhaps in some way affiliated to Alamy?  Are they pirates? (On the face of it their website looks professional.)  I assume they haven't got my bank details - if they have, it's an even bigger worry - so I assume they've no intention of paying me.  Anyone else had a similar experience and/or have any advice?

It's for sure that all of your images are credited to your name/Alamy...

I've found mine as well there.

Just a distributor thing.

I hope!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The site isn't listed in Alamy's distributor list

https://www.alamy.com/contactus/local-distributors.aspx

 

However, the list could be out of date.

 

My Alamy images aren't there, even tho I'm in all distribution. 

I don't allow Personal Use, so maybe that's why (Alamy state restricting PU means missing out on distro sales)..

Link to post
Share on other sites

My ST***im0 pics are there but not my others. But I have opted out of Distro in Czech so maybe they are a distributor....

I couldn't find a list of distributors on Alamy...?

Phil

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the unwatermarked very large thumbnails this site looks like paradise for image thieves who in that part of the world have little chance of being chased and caught. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems they have a lot of my images on their site, too. This is rather alarming, since the countries that this site has offices in - Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia, Bulgaria - are Distributor countries into which I have purposely NOT opted. I'll be contacting Alamy on Monday.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike Brooks said:

It seems they have a lot of my images on their site, too. This is rather alarming, since the countries that this site has offices in - Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia, Bulgaria - are Distributor countries into which I have purposely NOT opted. I'll be contacting Alamy on Monday.

Me too

Link to post
Share on other sites

the above comments bring an interesting point, @Alamy how does the opt-out work?  Do you need to be opted out of all countries a company has an office in?  Does the distributor get the information what country we have specifically excluded if they are present in in multiple with inconsistent opt-out? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Found a lot of my images there too. I opted out of distribution completely in April after getting a couple of pathetically small license fees, so how long does it take for someones pictures to disappear from a distributors website. Is it like deleting images from Alamy and so similarily take 6 months, or is it a case of anything that was in distribution before opting out stays in distribution and it's only images uploaded after opting out that don't get included? It would be nice to know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brizbee said:

Found a lot of my images there too. I opted out of distribution completely in April after getting a couple of pathetically small license fees, so how long does it take for someones pictures to disappear from a distributors website. Is it like deleting images from Alamy and so similarily take 6 months, or is it a case of anything that was in distribution before opting out stays in distribution and it's only images uploaded after opting out that don't get included? It would be nice to know.

there is no such period in the contract,  so it should be immediate, as per the agreement.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Big thumbnails without watermarks... What a joke... By pressing on the thumbnail you can download it with a clean 450X320 picture without watermark. 

Edited by Vitor from Portugal
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vitor from Portugal said:

Big thumbnails without watermarks... What a joke... By pressing on the thumbnail you can download it with a clean 450X320 picture without watermark. 

 

That's about the same size as here on Alamy if you know where to look.

One of mine 408x320:

https://c1.alamy.com/thumbs/3/02cd716a-cee4-49c9-a9d2-e3d276738150/2FKT4K4.jpg

and 284x470:

https://c1.alamy.com/thumbs/3/7eae6f9a-c9c2-444b-a698-82713ed51d72/2FKMKE3.jpg

wim

 

edit:

I didn't know this could be found though:

https://c7.alamy.com/zooms/9/179FD989-375E-447F-A96A-813D846AF5C7/2FKMKE2.jpg

640x447

Edited by wiskerke
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vitor from Portugal said:

But the general public can access them on Alamy? 

If you know how, yes. I could demonstrate it with one of yours 😁. But not with one click, no.

 

wim

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the older Spanish stock agencies now is an Alamy distributor and this is mentioned as New on their website.  So two new distributors, though the Spanish one is listed on Alamy's distributor list. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We don't even know where are our pictures on the world wide web... You post them on one agency and they just go to a bunch of other websites... Exclusive to Alamy doesn't mean what i was thinking about exclusivity 😂 Someone needs to put on the resellers contract that is mandatory to use watermarks on our work. Those pictures can easily be used on presentations without the watermarks and without the need to pay for them. 

Edited by Vitor from Portugal
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MizBrown said:

One of the older Spanish stock agencies now is an Alamy distributor and this is mentioned as New on their website.  So two new distributors, though the Spanish one is listed on Alamy's distributor list. 

 

Hello MizBrown,

I think that spanish distributor, Agefotostock, has been an Alamy distributor since many years. In their website their are stating since a couple of years of so the Alamy tab as New, but I think the new thing is just that search form in their website.

Regards!

 

By the way...those thumbnails without watermark in the other distributor are worrying ☹️

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Vitor from Portugal said:

We don't even know where are our pictures on the world wide web... You post them on one agency and they just go to a bunch of other websites... Exclusive to Alamy doesn't mean what i was thinking about exclusivity 😂 Someone needs to put on the resellers contract that is mandatory to use watermarks on our work. Those pictures can easily be used on presentations without the watermarks and without the need to pay for them. 

 

What with the internet, anyone can shop anywhere and many are probably hotlinking to other sites rather than hosting photos themselves. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What really concerns me is that my images are appearing on a site operating from a country/countries that I excluded when granting ALAMY permission to distribute my work; i.e. I did not tick the boxes for Croatia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, etc

 

 

I emailed ALAMY yesterday morning. No reply yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mike Brooks said:

What really concerns me is that my images are appearing on a site operating from a country/countries that I excluded when granting ALAMY permission to distribute my work; i.e. I did not tick the boxes for Croatia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, etc

 

 

I emailed ALAMY yesterday morning. No reply yet.

 

I don't understand. Do you mean you already had representation in Croatia, Slovenia and Bulgaria? Or you just want to exclude these countries on the fact that you expect them not to pay a fair fee?

 

wim

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

 

I don't understand. Do you mean you already had representation in Croatia, Slovenia and Bulgaria? Or you just want to exclude these countries on the fact that you expect them not to pay a fair fee?

 

wim

 

Appreciate your curiosity, but why I excluded these countries is of no relevance to this thread. The issue here is ALAMY offered a choice and I chose. I expect them as my agent to stick to what has been agreed between the both of us.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.