Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have been a contributor to Alamy for the last 14 years.

 

I first submitted images (on a CD!) when I was still working in local government.

 

In 2007 I took early retirement and redundancy and started my own architectural design business from home and set up a photography business selling stock. It was exciting times and both businesses grew. The photography was enjoyable, and the income enhanced my pension.

 

Fast forward 14 years and the architectural design business is still going strong. Not so the photography side.

 

Yesterday saw the easing of lockdown restrictions in the UK and there was a feeling of optimism about the future – until the Alamy announcement. I know there are far worse things than a cut in commission but yesterday I just felt down all day instead of joyful.

 

I will have to rethink what I do about photography. Probably like most people, I will dust my self down and carry on, like all the previous times there was a cut in commission until the point it isn’t worth it. I haven’t reached that point yet, but under this regime I don’t think it will be long before I do.

 

What a sad day.

 

John.

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Number Six said:

Allan. I agree that Stockimo queries are normally (and rightly) strictly forbidden on this forum. However, I think that my query is pertinent here as it is specific to Alamy contributors and it does relate to the contractual subject under discussion. Also, I don't think that there is a forum for the 'S-word' but I stand to be corrected.

 

Point taken.

 

Allan

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tomtomtom said:

Yes, Thank you! But what about the delay in taking off the pictures? Regulary, when you end the contract on your side, Alamy has 45 days to take down the pictures. If you dont cancel but delete pictures, they will stay for 180 days. What if the contract is changed by alamy? I dont want to accept the changes. So we dont have a contract? So the pictures have to be taken down immediatly (thats how it goes in germany - I dont know how that works here)

 

It works as per the current contract.

 

Sadly we agreed to the existing contract which stated that amendments to it, this is technically an amendment not a new contract, are effective as long as there is a 45 day notice.   

Pursuant to  subsection 20,1,3 you may give a termination notice at any time during those 45 days which would be effective on the amendment date from my reading. 

 

 

section 20.1.3

 

You may terminate this Contract:

  1. where Alamy gives 45 days’ notice to vary the Contract pursuant to clause 19.1, by written notice to Alamy at any time during that 45 day period expiring at the end thereof.

 

 

 

 

where clause 19.1 is the right to amend the contract. 

 

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, hotbrightsky said:

Join me in protest...

 

51187088723_aab0d275ba_o.jpg

 

 

I will not be taking any drastic action at this time but will await Ms. Shelley's PROMISED reply in the two week time frame.

 

Then I will decide.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

From 2012 licences from my port steadily increased year on year until 2016 and things were looking good.

 

During 2017 Alamy played around with the search engine algorithms  and by 2018 licences from my port were back down to 2013 levels. By Alamy’s actions I lost income from my port.

 

Since 2018 my licences have only slightly increased and due to dropping values of licences I will find it very difficult to achieve the $250 target in the future.

 

This does not make me want to go out and take more images to put up on Alamy and if Alamy thinks that their $250 target is an incentive to do that then they a much mistaken.

 

IT IS A BIG DISINCENTIVE.

 

I am going to go out this afternoon and take lots of photos but NOT for Alamy. I do have other strings to my bow.

 

Allan

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, hotbrightsky said:

 

You'll have to do it in batches of 500 I'm afraid.

 

Alternatively email Contributor Support and request they add Restrictions to your entire portfolio.

 

You will need to leave at least one category open. I suggest 'Consumer goods' as the category least likely to sell.

 

Ok thanks!

 

Well I've already opted out of distribution and also in the process of opting out for all sales apart from consumer goods as you advised (i have 10k images that I laboriously submitted over 7 years!), but it looks like it's going to take up to 48 hrs to take affect. I'm joining the protest and eagerly await what Alamy will have to say in response to contributor comments on the changes.

Edited by Nathaniel Noir
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

"We are budgeting for growth in 2021 . We have no plans to alter our commission rates...."

 

Did Emily have her fingers crossed when she said this?

 

04.53

 

 

Back then I was the first one to put a comment on the video. My comment was so opinionated that I made a few top contributors and Alamy itself to look closer to my port ( I guess for them just to see who they're dealing with). Later, quite ashamed, I put sincere apologies to the forum. It's long gone, but I'm still ashamed of myself.

I don't know...

Excuse me for my not-that-good English!

 

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Valid question wrong forum. This is and always has been for Alamy only. Is there not a forum in existence for S------------o?

 

Allan

 

Well, yes, but you know what? I'm not sure I give a monkey's anymore. Alamy can police its own forum. Guess what we get for doing it for free?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what bothers me most is the nearly unattainably high threshold of $25,000 per year in order to get a 50/50 split.   I bet less than 1% of the contributors can do that.  This reminds me too much of what is happening in America (probably Europe too) where the top 1% continue to gain wealth while the other 99% have to carry the water.  Here in the U.S. the tax structure rewards the wealthiest and dings the rest of us harder.  While still not right, maybe a more reasonable $10,000 threshold might give some people more incentive to upload more and continue the hard work.  There just isn't incentive now.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I think what bothers me most is the nearly unattainably high threshold of $25,000 per year in order to get a 50/50 split.   I bet less than 1% of the contributors can do that.  This reminds me too much of what is happening in America (probably Europe too) where the top 1% continue to gain wealth while the other 99% have to carry the water.  Here in the U.S. the tax structure rewards the wealthiest and dings the rest of us harder.  While still not right, maybe a more reasonable $10,000 threshold might give some people more incentive to upload more and continue the hard work.  There just isn't incentive now.

 

 

I think you would be better off to accept the 40% and find other places to sell your images non-exclusively. 

 

I have a large batch being edited elsewhere right now. When I sent them in I requested that they edit hard and only take the very best so that the majority of images could be exclusive on Alamy.

 

I sent an urgent update yesterday saying please take as many as you can as it is 40% on Alamy whatever! 

 

 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hmm.. I was just wondering if someone over at PA Media is going to *(get) an extra bonus in their pay packet at Christmas for increasing profits this fiscal year? 🤔

Need coffee 

Edited by Rico
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm literally in a talk right now which is part of Brookes University The Creative Industries Festival 2021 and this Alamy pay drop for photographers was just mentioned  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Michael Ventura said:

I think what bothers me most is the nearly unattainably high threshold of $25,000 per year in order to get a 50/50 split.   I bet less than 1% of the contributors can do that.  This reminds me too much of what is happening in America (probably Europe too) where the top 1% continue to gain wealth while the other 99% have to carry the water.  Here in the U.S. the tax structure rewards the wealthiest and dings the rest of us harder.  While still not right, maybe a more reasonable $10,000 threshold might give some people more incentive to upload more and continue the hard work.  There just isn't incentive now.

 

 

i agree.  I also have some concern with the thresholds being only dollars which we do not control.

 

Looking at the $250 one, i think it should be either:

 

1)$250

2) Number of license equivalent to $250/average license.  So if current average is $25, 10 licence would also qualify.

 

 

 

same for the other upper levels. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 

I will not be taking any drastic action at this time

 

This action is entirely reversible. Show Alamy we're serious if you want anything to change.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sally R said:

The woman running it asked us dramatically at the beginning, "What is the biggest room in the world?". We stared at her blankly. She replied enthusiastically, "The room for improvement". Beyond cringeworthy.

Thank you for that, pure Ricky Gervais, but spine-chilling in its awfulness

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

 

I think you would be better off to accept the 40% and find other places to sell your images non-exclusively. 

Totally agree.

Sadly it is Alamy that are going to lose out and other agencies will gain. I will be writing to Alamy to ask them to deselect all exclusive images from July 1st and bulk upload to several other outlets. My new material is now going elsewhere first.

We are in business after all and now need to make up the shortfall.

I don't want to do this and have always been a supporter of Alamy but unfortunately this is a one sided relationship!

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just gone into Image Manager and selected ‘download your data’. An up to date excel file of all our keywords might be handy quite soon if we decide to place images elsewhere! We only have about 2000 images but folk with large portfolios will have a job on their hands.....

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Marcin Rogozinski said:

It’s clear now that last time Alamy was preparing for takeover by PA

This time PA might be preparing for takeover by ...

 

 

Tesco?

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Olivier Parent said:

 

I did that yesterday, just before I started deleting images. 

As of today, 5% of my images here are already awaiting deletion.

 

 

I've deleted all my recent film 'digital' scans. I intend to host them on my own website exclusively. I might do the same with my original film images because few sell and they are now vintage material.

 

I'd recommend taking action like this which is constructive and has a long-term intention. Cutting off one's nose may have an instant satisfaction but it soon fades and leaves an awful mess.

 

We need to be calm and business-like in how we react to this assault. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

I’ve just gone into Image Manager and selected ‘download your data’. An up to date excel file of all our keywords might be handy quite soon if we decide to place images elsewhere! We only have about 2000 images but folk with large portfolios will have a job on their hands.....

Cracking tip 🙂 thanks!!!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

I’ve just gone into Image Manager and selected ‘download your data’. An up to date excel file of all our keywords might be handy quite soon if we decide to place images elsewhere! We only have about 2000 images but folk with large portfolios will have a job on their hands.....

That's a very good point.

Luckily a large proportion of mine are keyworded before submission but still well worth downloading the file.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, wilkopix said:

That's a very good point.

Luckily a large proportion of mine are keyworded before submission but still well worth downloading the file.

 

 

If for no other reason than to see which are Exclusive and which are Non-Ex and to have the Alamy file refs to hand so that they can be easily sorted in a spreadsheet.

Edited by geogphotos
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

 

Sadly we agreed to the existing contract which stated that amendments to it, this is technically an amendment not a new contract, are effective as long as there is a 45 day notice.   

Pursuant to  subsection 20,1,3 you may give a termination notice at any time during those 45 days which would be effective on the amendment date from my reading. 

 

 

section 20.1.3

 

You may terminate this Contract:

  1. where Alamy gives 45 days’ notice to vary the Contract pursuant to clause 19.1, by written notice to Alamy at any time during that 45 day period expiring at the end thereof.

Thank you! But does that mean, when I cancel my contract - let’s say on the last day before the new contract starts - the next 45 days the selling runs under the old conditions or the new? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Alamy locked this topic
  • Alamy unlocked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.