5 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi Mark and thanks for your vote of confidence. If only the buyers would learn to like my images too.

I do not know what the problem is but my port has never been a great seller. It was up and coming from 2013 to 2016 then it crashed through 17--18. since then it has made a feeble attempt at recovery but this year so far is dire with five sales to March then nothing since.

Allan

Allan, hope you don't mind my mentioning this again, but I think your sales might improve if you fleshed out your captions and keywords -- just my impression.

• Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Allan, hope you don't mind my mentioning this again, but I think your sales might improve if you fleshed out your captions and keywords -- just my impression.

Thanks John and I do know where you are coming from. (Vancouver) Yes I agree it is a stupid statement. I do know what you mean though. It has been my policy to caption and keyword images as I see them and what I see in them with the occasional concept word thrown in where necessary.

HOWEVER! I will have another look but I do not have the heart to go back ad infinitum (at least it seems like that) going through all of the images. Will try harder in future.

Allan

Of course once my images start to drop from view due to lack of sales, drop down the ratings and later pages they do not appear in view, they do not appear in front of the buyers anyway.

ITBMA

Edited by Allan Bell
1 hour ago, Ollie said:

An equally unjust and indefensible requirement by Alamy.  In other words, outrageous.

I doubt that would stand up in court. If Alamy blatantly defy restrictions the photographer puts on their images, and if it 'comes to the crunch', I think such action could be construed as reckless.

Nevertheless, I've now opted out of distributor sales and am in the process of blocking all PU sales which are also probably open to abuse.

Edited by Dave Richards
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks John and I do know where you are coming from. (Vancouver) Yes I agree it is a stupid statement. I do know what you mean though. It has been my policy to caption and keyword images as I see them and what I see in them with the occasional concept word thrown in where necessary.

HOWEVER! I will have another look but I do not have the heart to go back ad infinitum (at least it seems like that) going through all of the images. Will try harder in future.

Allan

Of course once my images start to drop from view due to lack of sales, drop down the ratings and later pages they do not appear in view, they do not appear in front of the buyers anyway.

ITBMA

Just a suggestion. You never know, it might help you extend your reach to all those other Lincolns around the globe, including the one in Ontario.

Anyway, hope you stick around for the party. 🎈

18 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Just a suggestion. You never know, it might help you extend your reach to all those other Lincolns around the globe, including the one in Ontario.

Anyway, hope you stick around for the party. 🎈

Yeh! Me too.

Just carried out a random and not exhaustive check to see where my images are appearing in the searches. Just picked three images from my port. Early, middle and later.

To my surprise they all appeared on the first two pages of the search with two of them on the first page.

It seems to knock the theory on the head. (See previous post.)

Allan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I have to admit to making an error in stating in various threads that it looked as if I would have to leave PA/Alamy soon as I would not be able to reach the required sales level ($250/annum) when the new contract comes into force. After re-reading Emily Shelley's blog post of 17th May 2021, which is repeated below, I along with others who are struggling to reach the $250 breakpoint to stay in Gold band have 12 months till July 2022 before we are assessed as to whether we stay in Gold or drop to Silver. This gives us a chance to improve our sales by whatever means possible.

"Gold: All existing contributors start on Gold or above, on the core 40% commission rate. New contributors start on Gold too. If you sell more than $250 gross in 12 months with us, then you’ll stay on Gold.

Platinum: If you sell more than $25,000 gross with Alamy in a 12-month period then you’ll go straight on to the Platinum rate and earn 50% commission for images marked as exclusive to Alamy.

Silver: After 1 year selling with us – or from July 2022 for existing contributors – you’ll move to Silver and a 20% commission rate if you’ve sold less than $250 gross on Alamy in the previous 12 months. Hitting $250 gross sales immediately moves you back up to Gold."

From Blog post written by Emily Shelley. MD of Alamy. 17.05.21

Even though I will be losing 20% of my present income from PA/Alamy it is better than dropping to Silver straight away on start of new contract.

Hope this helps others.

Allan

Go - Stay - Go - Stay -   Hmmm!

ITMA

Stay, if only for the July 2022 forum, it's going to be "checks notes" interesting!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
14 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Quite understand if you don't want to elaborate but do you mean this one? If so then I'm just a bit confused at Alamy's request as there are 200+ images on Alamy currently.

Hello.

No not that one.

I had a quick look elsewhere. G didn't have any. A big microstock site did. It looks like most of the ones on Alamy have now gone.

Modern memorial. Tribute to the French from north Africa.

37 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Hello.

No not that one.

I had a quick look elsewhere. G didn't have any. A big microstock site did. It looks like most of the ones on Alamy have now gone.

Modern memorial. Tribute to the French from north Africa.

Thanks for your reply, if it had been that one I'd be getting even more paranoid than I am at the moment.

13 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Yeh! Me too.

Just carried out a random and not exhaustive check to see where my images are appearing in the searches. Just picked three images from my port. Early, middle and later.

To my surprise they all appeared on the first two pages of the search with two of them on the first page.

It seems to knock the theory on the head. (See previous post.)

Allan

I guess fundamentally you are determining whether to stay or go as a result of Alamy's changes

And if you stay you have time to keep yourself in the so called Gold band

I would just try something different , for example take images on focal lengths you don't normally use, use more keywords if you normally have fewer, get the images pin sharp, take from a different height - different times of day/evening - mix it up - see if those images do any better for you.

It can be a bit of a lottery as you know - my last couple of decent sales both had few very keywords - in fact I was shocked at how brief I had been- but heh they were found

good luck

• Upvote 1

My gross has been above $250 since my first licenses were sold in 2015. That includes this year, but a couple of licenses were for $3. If that low amount were to become the average, it would take 83 sales to reach $250. I haven't had that many total sales in any year so far, so dropping down to silver looks like it would be quite possible based on declining license fees.

Lately my CTR has been fairly good and I wonder what happens if there are sales reported after my contract terminates at the end of this month. If I accept payment, am I by default also accepting the new contract terms, and along with them the increased liabilities?

• Like 1

Further to my post above. Alamy having created this mess over exclusives/non-exclusives/faux-exclusives can hardly expect to rely on the goodwill of contributors to sort it out when, yet again, there is only a vague threat of 'stick' and absolutely no hint of any 'carrot'.

My 'post above' has been removed by Alamy.

A sore point I suppose.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 5

Alamy just tweeted that there were pictures needed in the 'Animals and Wildlife' category of the images wanted list. I had a cursory look and one caught my attention. A dinosaur. Not just any dinosaur like the statue I legitimately sold (OK under Australian law), but one particular specie. Where else but in a museum could we see it? In fact I had some which I just deleted. I would not upload any image taken in museums anymore under the terms of the new contract. 

I just travelled through a town where the major attraction is dinosaur exhibits in the surrounding hills. Very well done and renowned. Guess what? No commercial photography. Some requests are impossible to fulfill. But as far as museums go, I'm done with it, even if it doesn't specify no commercial photography.

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
8 hours ago, NomisH said:

So, the Shutterstock journey will continue and, after that, Getty.

And all my Alamy photos will continue to be marked as exclusive because why would I bother going in & changing them all?

It wasn't me that reneged on our "exclusive" relationship.

Because that could be an expensive mistake. See clause 2.10 in the new contract.

2.10 By marking Content as Exclusive, you grant Alamy the right to chase third party infringements of the Content without Alamy having to consult you. Where pursuing such infringements if it is found that the Content has been licensed through another licensing platform, Alamy has the right to recoup any fees incurred in the pursuit of any action taken.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Because that could be an expensive mistake.... See clause 2.10 in the new contract.

2.10 By marking Content as Exclusive, you grant Alamy the right to chase third party infringements of the Content without Alamy having to consult you. Where pursuing such infringements if it is found that the Content has been licensed through another licensing platform, Alamy has the right to recoup any fees incurred in the pursuit of any action taken.

Mark

I really can't see this playing well for Alamy in the Small Claims Court because it is they who have suddenly changed the contract - and if a contributor walks away in disgust rather than spending weeks changing the status of each and every image who would blame them?

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I really can't see this playing well for Alamy in the Small Claims Court because it is they who have suddenly changed the contract - and if a contributor walks away in disgust rather than spending weeks changing the status of each and every image who would blame them?

Alamy would say - They only had to request deletion of their portfolio if they don't wish to comply with the contract, or simply ask member services to switch all their images to non-exclusive (there's no benefit for a small contributor in being exclusive anyway). So hardly a viable defence.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
57 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Alamy just tweeted that there were pictures needed in the 'Animals and Wildlife' category of the images wanted list. I had a cursory look and one caught my attention. A dinosaur. Not just any dinosaur like the statue I legitimately sold (OK under Australian law), but one particular specie. Where else but in a museum could we see it? In fact I had some which I just deleted. I would not upload any image taken in museums anymore under the terms of the new contract. 

I just travelled through a town where the major attraction is dinosaur exhibits in the surrounding hills. Very well done and renowned. Guess what? No commercial photography. Some requests are impossible to fulfill. But as far as museums go, I'm done with it, even if it doesn't specify no commercial photography.

I am in the process of making a list of images shot in museums and zoos so Alamy can delete them. I know people ask for these images. Years ago the Wildlife Conservation Society here in NYC (4 zoos) told me it was OK for me to sell my images. Had a nice chat with a woman about how their photographers don't have the time to do it all. Since I know the San Diego Zoo took a turn years ago and are very protective of their images I decided to check here in NY again. So they have changed too. "We charge for commercial photography". I can't blame them for finding every way to make money for the animals but it seems such a shame. I know people search on Alamy for zoo photos. I don't know if there is a better way but this is not great. Sad to say good-bye here to some of my favorite images (including the rhino behind).

Paulette

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I am in the process of making a list of images shot in museums and zoos so Alamy can delete them. I know people ask for these images. Years ago the Wildlife Conservation Society here in NYC (4 zoos) told me it was OK for me to sell my images. Had a nice chat with a woman about how their photographers don't have the time to do it all. Since I know the San Diego Zoo took a turn years ago and are very protective of their images I decided to check here in NY again. So they have changed too. "We charge for commercial photography". I can't blame them for finding every way to make money for the animals but it seems such a shame. I know people search on Alamy for zoo photos. I don't know if there is a better way but this is not great. Sad to say good-bye here to some of my favorite images (including the rhino behind).

Paulette

Surely if the images were made before they changed their policy you should be ok??? EXIF data will show date the images were shot.

Phil

29 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Alamy would say - They only had to request deletion of their portfolio if they don't wish to comply with the contract, or simply ask member services to switch all their images to non-exclusive (there's no benefit for a small contributor in being exclusive anyway). So hardly a viable defence.

Mark

I gather from the person that posted that they weren't doing anything, just walking off feeling thorougly fed up with Alamy and having some of their images accepted elsewhere.

Whether Alamy have the appetite for taking such people through the Courts I doubt.

Anyway, an image being exclusive on Alamy doesn't mean that it hasn't previouly been licensed elsewhere so there are going to lots of problems enforcing this rule.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 4
13 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

I'm wondering if the new zoo rule for no commercial photography applies to images taken prior to it. In any case I agree, I would not take the risk. Sad to see your rhino go. Fab behind!

Edited by gvallee

I chatted to a long-time Alamy photographer last week who had no idea about the contract change. He stopped any active involvement years ago. Quite likely his email has changed, he doesn't actively check sales or his account.  Gave up a while back in frustration at QC.

Out of the 70,000 or so Alamy contributors I wonder how many are dormant, non-responsive, unaware, not interested.

That is one of the downsides of crowd - sourcing. 

• Upvote 7

I thought I would check my current contract - within my dashboard I can see that my current commission model is 'Alamy Blue' - I then clicked on 'your ciurrent Alamy contributor contract'  - this showed the new contract that does not come into play until 24 July 2021 - this document also states that 'Alamy Blue' was discontinued on the 17th May 2021 - rather confusing methinks...

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I chatted to a long-time Alamy photographer last week who had no idea about the contract change. He stopped any active involvement years ago. Quite likely his email has changed, he doesn't actively check sales or his account.  Gave up a while back in frustration at QC.

Out of the 70,000 or so Alamy contributors I wonder how many are dormant, non-responsive, unaware, not interested.

I was wondering exactly the same thing. Chasing infringements without consulting the contributor is going to be fraught with problems.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, gardenbush said:

I thought I would check my current contract - within my dashboard I can see that my current commission model is 'Alamy Blue' - I then clicked on 'your ciurrent Alamy contributor contract'  - this showed the new contract that does not come into play until 24 July 2021 - this document also states that 'Alamy Blue' was discontinued on the 17th May 2021 - rather confusing methinks...

It will stay confusing and confused because Alamy are not in a position to require us all to actively respond to the new contract. They can't insist on a Yes or No by a certain date because there would just be too many non-replies. It is contract change by default, by assumption, by passivity. 

• Upvote 3
8 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I was wondering exactly the same thing. Chasing infringements without consulting the contributor is going to be fraught with problems.

Mark

That's what I was driving at. Many, perhaps the majority, even overwhelming majority, of Alamy contributors are no longer engaged with Alamy. I'm not sure that contract conditions can be imposed on them without their actual agreement or knowledge just by sending out an email and a few online announcements and blog posts. 

A few years ago and a singificant contract change elsewhere - you had to send in acceptance by a certain date or your contract was terminated and images could rbe emoved. If you didn't accept you could no longer submit. Alamy can't do that.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 2
On 17/06/2021 at 07:35, geogphotos said:

In February 2019 I was getting 60% on all direct sales.

From July 2021 I will be getting 40% on all direct sales.

What is the explanation for this? 

Have you emailed for an explanation? I'm about to .. More of us should probably ask directly (or Alamy please feel free to give us an explanation on the forum). I very much doubt they will change their minds but it would be good to hear why especially as they claimed they had no plans to cut the commission to photographers.

I'll be concentrating on my commissioned photography rather than shooting for Alamy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Alamy locked this topic