It is very interesting to see the degree of mental yoga contortions that people are prepared to perform. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

Today I submitted ONE image....of a flower. If it passes QC (meh) I'll mark it as editorial,  non-exclusive property no release. In six months I'll be back to complain it has no sales of .12 cents.  Working pro!!! (have you noticed images in QC are always, dark, muddy, and over saturated?)

2G2RGCB.jpg

Edited by formerly snappyoncalifornia
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

It is very interesting to see the degree of mental yoga contortions that people are prepared to perform. 

For me the mental yoga is essential to how I approach the future. I only do stock photography and I'm of an age and personal nature that other commercial photographic routes do not appeal to me. If I can't stay with Alamy because the contract loads too much, unfair and uncontrollable risk on my shoulders, then I will have to give up commercial photography. And if I have to give up at Alamy, then I have to question whether I can continue selling video imagery at other agencies, given that their contracts have similar (though not identical) indemnification clauses to Alamy. I enjoy stock photography and videography and I don't want to give it up until I am sure there is no safe way to carry on.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, MDM said:

I think the fact that Alamy do not QC for content means that they have to place the onus on the contributor to ensure that content (including captions and tags) is appropriate. There is certainly a lot of room for interpretation. My intended approach is to avoid as far as possible uploading anything that is likely to contravene anything even if that becomes really limiting - again the returns are not worth the worry. Staying objective in captions should avoid most of the above-mentioned. Publicity rights, intellectual property or data protection laws are probably the grey areas, especially in other countries where laws differ from English law. 

I'm sure that is the right approach and I have always been careful with what I upload and with captions. However I'm still concern that clauses 2.5 (ii) and 4.1.6 leaves an open door to interpretations of what is offensive, vulgar etc etc by goodness knows who from goodness knows where. If something can be deemed to be one or more of these things, I would like to know who has the power to do the deeming, espcially when I have to carry the can for it.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, ManfredG said:

Me too.
But it's not the Alamy change alone. It was a reason to think generally about stock photography, looking for other agencies. (Alamy is not my only stock agency, but the only GENERAL stock.) And all this together was quite disillusioning: Stock is dead. Full stop. (At least for those who want or must really earn money.)

for me too the new contract was not the reason I am leaving. I had effectively withdrawn from generic stock several years ago, and written about stock's demise. The new contract was the trigger to actually do something about it. It removes the feeling I should be shooting for submission.

So, I am expecting that not doing stock will reinvigorate my photography as I work on extended personal bodies of work (bodies of work and photographerrs' practice is basis of my PhD question). I will be writing about it and sharing it as and where I can.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Joseph Clemson said:

I'm sure that is the right approach and I have always been careful with what I upload and with captions. However I'm still concern that clauses 2.5 (ii) and 4.1.6 leaves an open door to interpretations of what is offensive, vulgar etc etc by goodness knows who from goodness knows where. If something can be deemed to be one or more of these things, I would like to know who has the power to do the deeming, espcially when I have to carry the can for it.

A wee browse through your portfolio doesn't reveal (to me anyway) much that is likely to be deemed any of the adjectives that you listed. Mind you, some people find bagpipes offensive. 😎

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Just wondering if you have compared Alamy's contract with those of any other agencies (without naming them, of course). I'm admittedly a dunce when it comes to these matters, but some of the ones that I've checked out recently don't look a heck of a lot better to me. For instance, I found an architectural library that I quite like and thought it might work for some of my images. However, they want exclusive images and offer only 40% share, plus their liability clauses don't seem (?) much friendlier to me. I'm not trying to justify Alamy's recent moves, but I wonder how many better/fairer contracts there are out there these days. Consider this a rhetorical question if you like. Hope you decide to stay. Cheers.

Ok, thanks for clarifying, John! Alamy has always felt like the best place for me. I’ve only been shooting stock since 2017, so while I did look around back then, I haven’t done much exploring this time around. That was mostly due to time constraints and the gut feeling there wasn’t any place better for me. I’ve spent time reading comments made by others here, and plan to make a decision this month after reading Alamy’s newly revised contract.

I took a last minute trip to NYC a couple weeks ago and had planned to shoot lots of stock photos. Then we received notice of the contract changes. I ended up taking some photos, but certainly wasn’t as motivated as before. I’m not sure where this is headed for me. Most likely I’ll stay for awhile, but that can always change sometime in the near future.

9 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I came late to posting on the forums Betty but really needed your friendship in sending me apple pies to my dungeon when i was in clink. Only thing was you omitted to mention the file in the pie to help me hack my way out. It is lucky I was able to get free dental surgery back then.

I am still undecided but if I go I will miss you all too, not just for the useful information freely given, but also the hilarious situations that we got ourselves into on the forums. I am thinking of people we have missed for some time now like Philippe.

I will keep thinking but let you all know my decision at the appropriate time.

If the worst comes to the worst I have your and some others Email addresses to keep in touch but that will not interact like this forum.

Allan

How many teeth did you break? Is that why you talk funny? Aintcha glad we don’t have to spend time in the dungeon any more? Although we did have some fantastic parties with amazing food.
I’ll be uploading pics of my fried apple pies before long. The 13 I made that disappeared in a flash. My grown children can act like hungry teenagers sometimes. And one of the pies traveled 160 miles to a granddaughter. She lit up like it was Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One of the unforseen consequences of this new contract is that the BUYERS may be frustrated. If, in an abundance of caution, so many of us mark all images in our portfolio as property/no release it is going to raise doubts about images that clearly do not contain recognizable property. Although there is a link explaining releases I suspect buyers will be calling the Alamy help desk for assurances, or referring the matter to their legal department before placing the order. This would not endear Alamy to buyers. I would allow Alamy to override my catagorization, if they indemnify me. 

Edited by formerly snappyoncalifornia
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hmmm! Strange. I wonder if the vaccine had been altered slightly to take account of the covid variant.

I had Pfizer for both. The second jab being back in April and had no side effects.

Allan

Side effects to the vaccine are all part of the immune response and that is individual to each person. Mostly it seems that with AZ reaction occurs after the first dose. and with Pfizer following the second. But age also plays a factor in that the reaction is less the older you are (but the vaccine not less effective). Immune status may wane after several months, which is why there will be an annual booster. There is a whole process to undergo if a vaccine is altered, so I doubt that has happened. Pfizer are confident in their vaccine efficacy against variants. (I used to be a nurse, and studied immunology a long while back ... ).

Hope that helps a little ...  (I've had my second vaccine with no side effects at all- except for a sore arm, which lasted about 12hrs).

Edited by BidC
spelling/typing errors 🥴
  • Upvote 5
17 minutes ago, BidC said:

Side effects to the vaccine are all part of teh immune response and that is individual to each person. Mostly it seems that with AZ reaction occurred after the first dose. and with Pfizer following the second. But age also plays a factor in that the reaction is less the older you are (but the vaccine not less effective). Immune status may one after several months, which is why there will be an annual booster. There is a whole process to undergo if a vaccine is altered, so I doubt that has happened. Pfizer are confident in their vaccine efficacy against variants. (I used to be a nurse, and studied immunology a long while back ... ).

Hope that helps a little ...  (I've had my scnd vaccine with no side effects at all, except for a sore arm, which lasted about 12hrs).

Your post matches my understanding of the subject. I'm coming up to 70, have had both jabs (AZ) with no issues. 

• Upvote 6
12 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Your post matches my understanding of the subject. I'm coming up to 70, have had both jabs (AZ) with no issues. 

I had the first shot of AZ. Apart from an enormous bump on my arm for nearly a month, no side effect. Now to find a town big enough for the second jab....

• Upvote 4

Vaccines are very important, but this thread is perhaps too important to too many contributors to dilute the subject now? Just a thought.

Question - are any further/final updates still due from Alamy, or is this it now, in terms of the contract in its final form?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

In another thread
I read a post about selling pastries and photos.
He is very understandable and instructive.
I will stick to this story

If I sell great buns on the street where I'm alone
and someone moves in and starts selling cakes too,
I probably won't be happy.
If he starts selling ugly disgusting buns,
I will lose some customers anyway. It hurts me.
In addition, the street rating is reduced,
which is known for baking great buns here.
However, I find it outrageous that these "bakers"
those who don't know the craft come to my shop
and they ask me - How do you do it?
Tell me your tricks, etc.

It's the same with photography.
We are a very competitive environment.
Alamy is no longer a family business,
where each gave his hand for the other. For many years
Alamy relinquished responsibility for helping its community members.
Some photographers have already mentioned this in part and changed their attitude. They don't want to waste time on advice to people who often don't even need advice.
Time is money, there is less and less

The contract is changing, however, it is not accompanied by an improvement in the quality of services
I would expect higher professionalism in all areas.

Alamy is a place where photos are sold.
Some members still didn't realize it.
They still think it's a discussion server
to deal with your frustrations

More to the bakers.
The Bakers' Guild would never accept a member,
who would not have the necessary knowledge and skills.
Alamy opens the windows and calls
everyone you can press a button on the camera - welcome.
I am sad from this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7
33 minutes ago, imageplotter said:

Vaccines are very important, but this thread is perhaps too important to too many contributors to dilute the subject now? Just a thought.

Question - are any further/final updates still due from Alamy, or is this it now, in terms of the contract in its final form?

Perhaps you can keep your red arrows for something more serious? I gave you one.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4
50 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Perhaps you can keep your red arrows for something more serious? I gave you one.

These things don't bother me any longer (but thank you). Was just trying to reassure Allan who asked a question .. onwards :) Have a good day everyone!

Edited by BidC
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
Just now, BidC said:

These things don't bother me any longer (but thank you). Was just trying to reassure Allan who asked a question .. onwards :) Have a good day everyone!

Just wonder why this person has to ask about updates given it's such an important subject. Concentration problems? Laziness? Like you, onwards and upwards.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

With the new contract now coming into force on 24th July what is the latest date that we can tell Alamy that we intend to mark everything, almost, 'editorial' and Rights Managed?

I'm assuming they need some time to make the changes. When best to let them know of intent? Would like to leave it as late as possible. Any suggestions? Cheers!

Just now, Jansos said:

With the new contract now coming into force on 24th July what is the latest date that we can tell Alamy that we intend to mark everything, almost, 'editorial' and Rights Managed?

I'm assuming they need some time to make the changes. When best to let them know of intent? Would like to leave it as late as possible. Any suggestions? Cheers!

I have asked Alamy to tick 'Editorial only' for any image containing property or person without a release. They said they will let me know if it's possible. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes, so far the Alamy seems to be coming up with a new treaty that is more restrictive for individual members. Furthermore, Alamy will make a 20% profit as a bonus and in exchange offers nothing, no qualitative change. Even PA / Alamy continues to expect our happy faces and all loyalty. Am I falling on my head?

• Upvote 6

3,328,922 images added this month so far.

So still plenty of interest in uploading here !

Not from me I hasten to add.

Be interesting to see if the people leaving makes much of a difference to the overall image count, come the change over day.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2
59 minutes ago, Paul J said:

I doubt many will actually leave, all the time and effort involved for small returns adding them to other libraries. Overall quality may take slight dip though.

If you work out the actual hourly rate for image sales on Alamy after costs, for me, it's beyond poor. So a no-brainer to up the ante on other activities that will bring in the money. 

plus a significant portion of the numbers come from agencies and image libraries which have their own deals and possibly not bound by the onerous downloading Alamy has imposed, or at least it is compensated  with higher return. 

• Upvote 4
  • Alamy locked this topic