Jump to content

Question

23 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Difficult to tell what kind of website that is. If you alert Alamy to it they will let you know if it something that they can chase up. If it’s a blog site then Alamy or any other infringement service is unlikely to chase it but you can do so yourself if you wish. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)

The article was published on May 19, just 5 days ago. It can sometimes take several months before the purchase shows up and even longer to get paid. It's frustrating but you have to be patient.

 

Sorry i just saw that it was published last year.

Edited by Homy
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I spoted one of mine from 2019 via same distributor Profimedia last month and reported, was invoiced within a couple of weeks for the usual low single $ seems the distibutors can be a bit forgetful at times!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

This thread got me curious and I did a search as well. Within a few minutes turned up several images of mine credited to myself & alamy used last year that never appeared in the sales records.  Some small uses but also a few big organizations. Incredibly frustrating that alamy is letting image reporting slip through the cracks. These are images I was able to find online in a few minutes, obviously I cannot do the same for images used offline or if the credit is removed.  The fact that I was able to find multiple unreported instances from within the past 12 months by blindly poking around makes me wonder what % of sales slip by because of shoddy reporting/record keeping by Alamy.  Is it ~1%, 5%, >10%?  No way to tell as far as I know. 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

This was a distributor sale which can take a long time to report. If you were paid then the distributor did in fact report, presumably after a reminder.

This does not mean that Alamy is untrustworthy.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
11 minutes ago, ciasralbael said:

 

 

 

I always thought we could trust stock photography agencies like Alamy but apparently not.

 

If i want my photos to be use without being paid for i will put them on websites like Facebook, Instagram, Pexels or UNSPLASH...

 

 

not sure i understand, why if people steal from Alamy, and us, does it make Alamy untrustworthy?  Yes they could improve security, and tighten controls, but the clients seem to be the issue here.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
35 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

 

 

not sure i understand, why if people steal from Alamy, and us, does it make Alamy untrustworthy?  Yes they could improve security, and tighten controls, but the clients seem to be the issue here.  

The clients are the issue, but Alamy at the very least should cancel discounts on unreported uses by their 'trusted' buyers. If they priced unreported uses by the rate card, or imposed a punishment, most of the 'forgetful' would no doubt develop a good memory quite quickly. So Alamy has some responsibility - otherwise there's an element of collusion, especially when the sales go for lower prices than would have prevailed at the time of use.

  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

The clients are the issue, but Alamy at the very least should cancel discounts on unreported uses by their 'trusted' buyers. If they priced unreported uses by the rate card, or imposed a punishment, most of the 'forgetful' would no doubt develop a good memory quite quickly. So Alamy has some responsibility - otherwise there's an element of collusion, especially when the sales go for lower prices than would have prevailed at the time of use.

hence the "improve security and tighten controls"

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

If you check the Alamy contributor contract (that you agreed to) you will see that images you delete (for example via Alamy image manager) will remain on sale for a further 180 days. This is because Alamy allows selected customers to download images and pay later if they use them. If you wanted them deleted immediately you have to contact member services and make a special request and they may do this under special circumstances 

 

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Also, it can sometimes take at least six months for deleted images to disappear from distributors' website. At least that has been my experience here and elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, ciasralbael said:

I deleted them around May ( when I found out about the unpaid photo) we are in October...so I think its about time... 

 

Hi Carla, 

 

John and Mark are correct, images are available for sale for 180 days after they’ve been deleted in Alamy Image Manager. If log into your account, your Image Manager clearly states these images will be removed on 3rd November 2021. 

 

If you have any further worries around this, please email our contributor relations team who are happy to help. Their email is contributors@alamy.com. 

 

Thanks

Corin 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Alamy said:

Hi Carla, 

 

John and Mark are correct, images are available for sale for 180 days after they’ve been deleted in Alamy Image Manager. If log into your account, your Image Manager clearly states these images will be removed on 3rd November 2021. 

 

If you have any further worries around this, please email our contributor relations team who are happy to help. Their email is contributors@alamy.com. 

 

Thanks

Corin 

 

Corin. I thought this was changed to 3 months with he new contract? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
16 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

 

Corin. I thought this was changed to 3 months with he new contract? 

 

Emu, I assume that's because she deleted her port before the new contract.

 

@ciasralbael It's a good idea to know your contract and rules before accusing Alamy of dishonesty.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 minutes ago, gvallee said:

 

Emu, I assume that's because she deleted her port before the new contract.

 

@ciasralbael It's a good idea to know your contract and rules before accusing Alamy of dishonesty.

 

 

Actually even images that were deleted prior to the changes have been removed after 90 days- saw my number of images go down in August/September in line with my deletions of potential contentious images.   The new contract would apply effective July 23rd, there is no clause that differentiates when image was removed, and Alamy practice has consistently been effective date change, regardless of date of transaction, the new contract applies, see Commission charges.    Only difference would be someone who had "terminated" prior to new contract (not the case), but that's a 45 days period. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

And... If the image was downloaded by a customer for a specific use before deletion, Alamy can sell a licence to them for up to 2 years after deletion. Clause 3.1.1 is in both old and new contracts.

 

3.1.1. Content relating to a specific use that has been downloaded by a Customer or potential Customer for such specific use prior to the date of deletion, provided always that Alamy will only be permitted to grant Licences in accordance with this clause 3.1.1 for a period of two (2) years following the date of deletion;

 

Mark

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

And... If the image was downloaded by a customer for a specific use before deletion, Alamy can sell a licence to them for up to 2 years after deletion. Clause 3.1.1 is in both old and new contracts.

 

3.1.1. Content relating to a specific use that has been downloaded by a Customer or potential Customer for such specific use prior to the date of deletion, provided always that Alamy will only be permitted to grant Licences in accordance with this clause 3.1.1 for a period of two (2) years following the date of deletion;

 

Mark

 

 

they still shouldn't be on line.  Something does seem weird.  My images are being removed from my portfolio 90 days after deletion as per the contract, even the ones i deleted in the interim.  Something does not add up

 

 

that said, the named distributor is also a big issue, and that is not addressed by Alamy.  I have a licence downloaded in early July, and still no reporting.  Why does Alamy still allow such practice? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 26/05/2021 at 02:53, antonsrkn said:

This thread got me curious and I did a search as well. Within a few minutes turned up several images of mine credited to myself & alamy used last year that never appeared in the sales records.  Some small uses but also a few big organizations. Incredibly frustrating that alamy is letting image reporting slip through the cracks. These are images I was able to find online in a few minutes, obviously I cannot do the same for images used offline or if the credit is removed.  The fact that I was able to find multiple unreported instances from within the past 12 months by blindly poking around makes me wonder what % of sales slip by because of shoddy reporting/record keeping by Alamy.  Is it ~1%, 5%, >10%?  No way to tell as far as I know. 

Did you do an image search on google?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.