Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Martin L said:

Lets be fair, it was Ian that posted the link not the OP

If he'd posted his own link, he would have had this discussion deleted well before now.  So, he just trashed Alamy without mentioning he was a competitor (or wannabe competitor).   He was planning to send people links if he could get their email.  Ian's spider news senses tingled.  And a couple of people were interested.

This sort of hustle is so common in the fiction publishing world that I have a special hate for how it manipulates wannabes.  Same for vanity publishers who claim that the commercial fiction world is impossible for newbies to break into (um, seriously, most wannabes are awful and refused to admit they have things to learn). 

Edited by MizBrown
less information
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
5 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

If he'd posted his own link, he would have had this discussion deleted well before now.  So, he just trashed Alamy without mentioning he was a competitor (or wannabe competitor).   He was planning to send people links if he could get their email.  Ian's spider news senses tingled.  And a couple of people were interested.

This sort of hustle is so common in the fiction publishing world that I have a special hate for how it manipulates wannabes.  Same for vanity publishers who claim that the commercial fiction world is impossible for newbies to break into (um, seriously, most wannabes are awful and refused to admit they have things to learn). 

If I wanted to get in touch with people, which I don’t. There are plenty on social media sharing their Alamy work who are instantly contactable, but live news is more hassle than its worth in most cases. This was a simple moan about speed of payments and Alamy lack of response. Speculate all you want. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Paul, you must be a popular guy 38 red downvotes out of 31 posts. That must be a world record. I'am sure you will give me a Red arrow for this.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1
Just now, Alan Beastall said:

Paul, you must be a popular guy 38 red downvotes out of 31 posts. That must be a world record. I'am sure you will give me a Red arrow for this.

Nope, just gave you a green one. You’d think photographers would stick together when they hold onto our money for longer than what is acceptable.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5
1 hour ago, Paul J said:

Read my posts and comments Jill, I have not mentioned anything about myself, my Alamy profile doesn't have my website, nor does my byline request refer to my business name like many. Someone had a google snoop to look at my website and posted a web page.

Speed of payments is my gripe. Along with Alamy's lack of response to my email over a week ago. 

Not very convincing.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
Posted (edited)

This reminds me of somebody shouting 'bundle' in the playground.

People are even having a pop at me for trying to add a bit of reason and I'm just on the outside watching eating my Lemon Sherbert.

Edited by Martin L
  • Upvote 2

Hi Paul,

Usually Alamy are pretty quick to respond to questions, I'd drop them another message in case it's gone astray somewhere. I'd imagine they are still working from home too which might account for the delay.

Speed of payment can vary, I'm guessing a lot depends on what payment arrangements Alamy have with the various newspapers plus dealing with the logistics of thousands of contributors is never going to be as quick as photographer supplying and invoicing directly, the plus point is that with Alamy there is a chance of additional sales to markets around the world.

Cheers

Rob

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, wilkopix said:

Hi Paul,

Usually Alamy are pretty quick to respond to questions, I'd drop them another message in case it's gone astray somewhere. I'd imagine they are still working from home too which might account for the delay.

Speed of payment can vary, I'm guessing a lot depends on what payment arrangements Alamy have with the various newspapers plus dealing with the logistics of thousands of contributors is never going to be as quick as photographer supplying and invoicing directly, the plus point is that with Alamy there is a chance of additional sales to markets around the world.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks, guess the email may have been passed along and forgotten about. Last time I emailed, had a reply from the CEO straight away when I asked for clarification on exclusivity and personal sales.

Without them responding I can only speculate as all the UK national press have auto payments once on their system so no invoicing. So can only guess it’s all automatic for Alamy unless they tell me otherwise. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Paul - a couple of things here.

1 - Your email wasn't replied to personally as your question is answered as part of the auto-reply FAQs. These state that if the answer is in the list, then we won't reply further.

2 - Your statement about how we get paid instantly and then hold on to your money is completely incorrect. Comparing the way agencies who provide thousands of images for news clients to an individual doing the same (where many will not enjoy the direct relationship you seem to have) is not comparing like for like. We have a minimum 45 day clearing period (to be able to issue refunds/cancellations if needed) and then your payment will clear as soon as we recieve payment following this initial 45 day period. For some customers this may be several months later.

Alamy

• Upvote 9
10 minutes ago, Alamy said:

Paul - a couple of things here.

1 - Your email wasn't replied to personally as your question is answered as part of the auto-reply FAQs. These state that if the answer is in the list, then we won't reply further.

2 - Your statement about how we get paid instantly and then hold on to your money is completely incorrect. Comparing the way agencies who provide thousands of images for news clients to an individual doing the same (where many will not enjoy the direct relationship you seem to have) is not comparing like for like. We have a minimum 45 day clearing period (to be able to issue refunds/cancellations if needed) and then your payment will clear as soon as we recieve payment following this initial 45 day period. For some customers this may be several months later.

Alamy

Thank goodness, the teachers arrived to break it up

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Alamy locked this topic