Noise, Higher ISO's and the NEX-7

I've not had much joy researching this in the forum and my memory of what was said awhile back is mussy. I'm interested in what NEX-7 owners found useful for Alamy with noise control in LR or PS at ISO 800 and 1,600. DPReview thinks I shouldn't worry about noise at these ISO's. 

I've all but switched over completely to the NEX-6 because of the better noise control and friendlier ergonomics. I want to get back to making use of my NEX-7 . . . or maybe I should sell it. :unsure: Understand that I shoot RAW and my Sony workflow moves from LR5 to a 16-bit tiff in CS5 and then to a jpeg for Alamy. On rare occasions I make a tiff stop in Nikon Capture NX2 to use U-Point in a small area. 

Thanks in advance.  :)

I never did, John. You may recall that they rearranged my question in the form of an answer. I've never had an image from my NEX-6 fail, at least not because of any camera issues. My one failed image was because I got sloppy with my normal workflow. Don't decide not to get an NEX-6 because I failed to totally check an image at 100%. Every NEX-6 image I shoot and Post correctly passes QC. Save your nickels and dimes and buy an NEX-6. (Do they have nickels and dimes in Vancouver?)

With the NEX-7 I'm looking for LR5 noise reduction settings. Someone gave those to me sometime ago. 

I never did, John. You may recall that they rearranged my question in the form of an answer. I've never had an image from my NEX-6 fail, at least because of any camera issues. My one failed image was because I got sloppy with my normal workflow. Don't decide not to get an NEX-6 because I failed to totally check an image at 100%. Every NEX-6 image I shoot and Post correctly passes QC. Save your nickels and dimes and buy an NEX-6. (Do they have nickels and dimes in Vancouver?)

With the NEX-7 I'm looking for LR5 noise reduction settings. Someone gave those to me sometime ago. 

Yes, we still have nickels and dimes, along with loonies and toonies. However, pennies have bitten the dust. I've actually had some noise problems with the NEX-3, including an ISO 200 image that failed QC. It was shot on a sunny day. Sky noise, no doubt, was the culprit, although I'm still looking for it. :huh:

We still have pennies, although it costs more than a penny to make one. Is there a hint about the US economy here?  :wacko:

Same thing happened in Canada. It cost more to make 'em than spend 'em. My guess is that nickels and dimes will be next on the chopping block. Where will all this end, one wonders?

We still have pennies, although it costs more than a penny to make one. Is there a hint about the US economy here?  :wacko:

Same thing happened in Canada. It cost more to make 'em than spend 'em. My guess is that nickels and dimes will be next on the chopping block. Where will all this end, one wonders?

I think it has, in many places, ended already: prices are all rounded-off to a full dollar figure . . . except NU sales of course :)

dd

I've not had much joy researching this in the forum and my memory of what was said awhile back is mussy. I'm interested in what NEX-7 owners found useful for Alamy with noise control in LR or PS at ISO 800 and 1,600. DPReview thinks I shouldn't worry about noise at these ISO's. 

I've all but switched over completely to the NEX-6 because of the better noise control and friendlier ergonomics. I want to get back to making use of my NEX-7 . . . or maybe I should sell it. :unsure: Understand that I shoot RAW and my Sony workflow moves from LR5 to a 16-bit tiff in CS5 and then to a jpeg for Alamy. On rare occasions I make a tiff stop in Nikon Capture NX2 to use U-Point in a small area. 

Thanks in advance.  :)

I used to use ISO 800 when I had my Nex7 but did find the images had quite a bit of noise. Don't recall ever using 1600 for shots here. For me, they were at the point I would not feel comfortable in submitting (for the majority anyway).

If you don't need the extra resolution, the Nex6 will be far better than the 7. Quite a lot of the time, I had to reduce the size of the Nex7 shots to improve noise quality so the benefit of the extra resolution was lost.

If you enjoy using the Nex6, never had any QC fails because of it, maybe it's time to cash in on the Nex7 before they release a replacement next year?!?

That was my experience too, Duncan. But I'm still reluctant to sell the NEX-7, to get into an equipment dance-around with the NEX system.

It might well be better to reach for another bag when I'm going out in good light to shoot with the NEX-7.  Then I can carry the NEX-6 as a backup, just in case.  In film days, I used to carry a Nikon body with high-speed color film in my bag.  And of course there is the extra weight . . . and that was the original motive for switching to these smaller mirror-less boxes.  Oh oh.   I've circled around and I see myself sneaking up on myself from behind.  :wacko:

Incidentally, I still see the costly Sony Zeiss 24 f/1.8 as the very best purchase I've made in the NEX system. 

Apparently, the NEX7 is not noisier than the NEX6

http://photoclubalpha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=74635#p74635

In my own experience, NEX7 files are easy to work with on LR -I might have problems with skin tones under artificial light, noise is never an issue bellow 1600 ISO

Regards

Pako

Archived