Suggestions on a 24" Monitor?

54 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Which is why I like much less expensive PC's. It's easy to add more RAM and other goodies. But I realize that people love their Macs. 😎

I won't get into the Mac v PC thing. I started on Macs (the tiny all-in-ones), eventually went to PC with Win97 and then back to Mac in 2009 after they went to Intel chips, so for a while I used both on the same machine but after a while became exclusively Mac since then. They do make things simple for the most part. Enough - I can see where this could lead 😀

Edited by MDM

57 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Been at it for hours, one painful step after another. It will be tomorrow before I have anything worth reporting. 

I dare not ask why it is painful.

Or maybe I should.

Why is it painful Edo? 

Setting up a  new Mac should be very simple. Please don't say that you tried to transfer your files and apps from the old one using that thing that asks you if you want to do that.

5 minutes ago, MDM said:

I won't get into the Mac v PC thing. I started on Macs (the tiny all-in-ones), eventually went to PC with Win97 and then back to Mac after they went to Intel chips so for a while I used both on the same machine but after a while became exclusively Mac since 2009. They do make things simple for the most part. Enough - I can see where this could lead 😀

Well, at least we aren't discussing politics, religion, or the Royals. 😲

P.S. I don't really know anything about Macs except that I can't afford them. Simple, I like simple...

13 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Well, at least we aren't discussing politics, religion, or the Royals. 😲

P.S. I don't really know anything about Macs except that I can't afford them. Simple, I like simple...

I have taken a vow of silence on all such things - Covid denial is the exception. 

Why is it painful, Michael? Don't ask! 

John, I got switched to Macs when I went to work at my retirement job at Time Warner. US publishing companies all use Macs.

I might as well tell about the M1 Air I bought and the price I paid. It feels so relaxing to be back on my older problem-filled, anti-Adobe MacBook Pro and not uploading and installing. 

I showed up at the Apple Store at 10:45AM. Outside, they took some basic info and made an appointment for at 11:30. I went next door to John Lewis and price 24" smart TVs. When I got back to Apple, there was the usual virus-symptoms questions and they took my temperature. I passed.

Inside, I was given to Jeff, who's local accent I could understand. Last night, they had told me they had one or two 16MB Airs in house. Inside, Jeff found that they had just one left and with extra storage onboard and other things, the price was £1,650. I said no and asked when I might get one delivered to pick up. Apple Jeff started working his phone and talking about May. I opted for the basic 8MB model. They allowed me £310 on my Spanish Air, so I paid them £689, took it, and left. I'm content with the decision. If in two years, I'm still functioning as a stock tog and I need another Mac, I'll deal with that then. 

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Why is it painful, Michael? Don't ask! 

Too late but you don't have to answer. You never did tell me how storage was left on your MacBook Pro either. Never mind. I will pester you no more and leave you in peace with your own devices - enjoy.

51 minutes ago, MDM said:

I won't get into the Mac v PC thing. I started on Macs (the tiny all-in-ones), eventually went to PC with Win97 and then back to Mac in 2009 after they went to Intel chips, so for a while I used both on the same machine but after a while became exclusively Mac since then. They do make things simple for the most part. Enough - I can see where this could lead 😀

I think we're all more grown-up than that.  We almost never have Canon vs. Nikon squabbles that seem to be common elsewhere.   Problem here is getting a Mac requires going to Managua and paying almost twice what the same machine would cost in the US.  And they're likely to be the last year's models.  So even with the same economics with any machine, being able to get stuff in town wins over trying to drag a iMac back to Jinotega (figure another $80-$100 US for getting a car trip down and back). 

On 13/04/2021 at 06:52, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Michael

I'm trying to take your original advice but everything is uncertain now. I'm at the Apple Store and it turns out I have to book an appointment. Not what I was told yesterday. I'm outside on their wifi. PS is still giving me the no-space message although I deleted everything I can. ???

Gotta go; it's cold out here.

Are you inadvertently saving to your 20GB PS cloud account?  It sounds like the message is from PS and not your Macbook. Try save as and navigate to a folder on your Mac. If you've gone to the Apple menu and checked that you have storage after emptying the trash, this could be the problem. Unless you change your preferences, the later PS updates want to save everything to your Adobe Cloud folder which will fill quickly. 

3 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Are you inadvertently saving to your 20GB PS cloud account?  It sounds like the message is from PS and not your Macbook. Try save as and navigate to a folder on your Mac. If you've gone to the Apple menu and checked that you have storage after emptying the trash, this could be the problem. Unless you change your preferences, the later PS updates want to save everything to your Adobe Cloud folder which will fill quickly. 

Been there several times. I wondered the same, advised the same in another thread. Hopefully his new Mac will resolve problems but we shall see. 

Ed, I was thinking I answered this thread too late, but actually you'll still want to be sure you're not saving to your PS cloud account now that you have a new MacAir or you'll have the same issue as with the old machine. Happy to Zoom with you and walk you through it if need be. 

1 hour ago, Marianne said:

Ed, I was thinking I answered this thread too late, but actually you'll still want to be sure you're not saving to your PS cloud account now that you have a new MacAir or you'll have the same issue as with the old machine. Happy to Zoom with you and walk you through it if need be. 

There is a very long recent thread about Ed's problems. 

I figured as you suggest that he might be saving to Adobe Cloud based on that Photoshop message and this annoying thing from Adobe where it tries to get you to save to their cloud. Ed insisted it was iCloud so I suggested the following which should have gotten around all these problems by making sure he saved back into the same folder after working in Photoshop.

Simple workflow

1. Copy your images from card to folder on your hard drive. 
2. Import into Lightroom Classic 

3. Do whatever you do with your raw files. 
4. Now go Edit in Adobe Photoshop 2021 (instead of exporting to your desktop as Tiffs)

5. Do whatever it is you do in Photoshop. 
6. Now save the files back Into the same folder on your hard drive as Tiffs using Save As to make sure you know where they are going. 
7. Export as JPEGs for Alamy etc. 

He followed the advice, said it worked but then the problems came back a few days later with messages about being out of space - could be Photoshop scratch disk or the disk is full because he hasn't actually emptied the trash after deleting files or the disk is actually failing.

EDIT: Or is he saving to iCloud or Adobe Cloud and they are full?

Over to you.

Edited by MDM

6 hours ago, MDM said:

He followed the advice, said it worked but then the problems came back a few days later with messages about being out of space - could be Photoshop scratch disk or the disk is full because he hasn't actually emptied the trash after deleting files or the disk is actually failing.

I've wondered if the disk was actually failing.  Has he run the various checking utilities to see if there are problems with the hard drive?

My question about monitors seems to have morphed in more suggestions about my other post where I was asking about my Adobe editing problems. Michael has pointed out that he already made several of the suggestions I've attracted again here. 

I don't want to be trying to explain things I don't understand. Again, Michael suggested that I need hands-on help. I do and I will be bring my MacBook Pro into the Apple Store next week. I'm too busy the rest of this week. 

In the meantime, I just edited and submitted 4 test images to Alamy and everything went well on this M1 MacBook Air. "Simple," Michael? None of this is simple for me. I had many bumps in the road setting up this new laptop and using Big Sur for the first time. 

Also, I will not be buying a Mac mini or a monitor. I'll be editing photos on this new M1. I've been editing a 13" screen for the past 3 years. Later on, I will probably buy a 24" smart TV. 

Thank you, all.

22 hours ago, MizBrown said:

I think we're all more grown-up than that.  We almost never have Canon vs. Nikon squabbles that seem to be common elsewhere.   Problem here is getting a Mac requires going to Managua and paying almost twice what the same machine would cost in the US.  And they're likely to be the last year's models.  So even with the same economics with any machine, being able to get stuff in town wins over trying to drag a iMac back to Jinotega (figure another $80-$100 US for getting a car trip down and back). 

The Mac vs. PC thing has always been mainly financial for me as well. A PC will do the same jobs as well as a Mac, usually for a fraction of the cost.

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Biting my tongue. OUCH!

I know what you mean. OUCH.  I have also taken a vow to always tell the truth, a vow to stop swearing (except when driving and watching football on TV), a vow of celibacy (OK that's a lie damn it), a vow of temperance (I hardly ever drink alcohol - that is true but an occasional beer is OK) and a vow to stop making vows. 

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, MDM said:

I know what you mean. OUCH.  I have also taken a vow to always tell the truth, a vow to stop swearing (except when driving and watching football on TV), a vow of celibacy (OK that's a lie damn it), a vow of temperance (I hardly ever drink alcohol - that is true but an occasional beer is OK) and a vow to stop making vows. 

I do well with all of these. I swear only when I drop a dish full of something on my kitchen floor with glass and food everywhere, and when my football (American) team throws an interception. I only drink alcohol during football season, to keep my heart from going haywire during tense games. Truly. My heart acted up so badly in spite of having a cardiac ablation that I had to go into another room, until I found 2 glasses of wine fixed that. (HIC) Good medicine! 😁 And I’m a widow. Not a merry one.

Edited by Betty LaRue

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

cardiac ablation

Just read up about heart ablation as I did not know what that was. A few hours on the operating table having to lay dead still must have been difficult.

I sometimes get heart fluctuations. Rapid beat for a while. Sometimes skipped beats. There was a time my heart would stop for a couple of beast then continue then after a very short time would stop or skip again. The paramedics were called as it was the first time it had happened and was going on for about an hour. Taken to hospital and put into observation for a day. Didn't happen again so released. My doctor at the time said that it was normal and not to worry? And wasted medics time. Didn't feel normal to me at the time. Still have the occasional fluctuations.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Just read up about heart ablation as I did not know what that was. A few hours on the operating table having to lay dead still must have been difficult.

I sometimes get heart fluctuations. Rapid beat for a while. Sometimes skipped beats. There was a time my heart would stop for a couple of beast then continue then after a very short time would stop or skip again. The paramedics were called as it was the first time it had happened and was going on for about an hour. Taken to hospital and put into observation for a day. Didn't happen again so released. My doctor at the time said that it was normal and not to worry? And wasted medics time. Didn't feel normal to me at the time. Still have the occasional fluctuations.

Allan

For a while after I had had chemo I would feel what seemed like skipped beats but it was actually a cluster of fast beats. You could see it on the electrocardiogram. Not dangerous. Just odd that it felt the opposite of what it was.

Paulette