6 hours ago, Marianne said:

That very expensive addiction reference is spot on Betty. I'm sitting here with an 18-month old $4,000 MacBook Pro loaded with a 2TB SSD & 32GB RAM. Love how blazing fast it is but as I think I mentioned it has to go to the Apple store when it's safe to go to the mall, because about 1/3rd of the letters on the keyboard are obliterated. After about a month of doubling random letters that seems to have stopped but really I could have bought 4 PCs for the money - but I can't ever go back to a PC despite the diminishing build quality and the fact that these things just don't last. I future proofed it by going big with the RAM etc, but not sure the hardware will last. Crazy but I'm clearly an Apple addict despite all their flaws. LOL. 

I opted for a laptop for travel expecting to be spending more time out in the midwest with my daughter & grandson before Covid so I could work when visiting them for extended periods and attach it to my old iMac as a monitor at home. I had considered the Mac mini too, but the laptop made sense. I still don't have an iPad but when travel opens up, the newer ones could be a good option. And perhaps my keyboard would last longer if I had an iPad LOL. 

Glad your computer is clean and working - feathers! Wow, you just never know do you? 

Great that your mother straightened out that teacher. I went to a parochial school in the Bronx growing up and the poor lefties were shamed into using their right hands and then shamed for their poor handwriting. The nuns seems to think penmanship was next to godliness. My youngest sister was ambidextrous, and would use her left hand at home, to keep it in shape. She was lucky her right hand worked as well. When I was tested for ADHD in my late 40's, I found out my left hand is in the 10th percentile (no wonder I could never seem to throw a tennis ball up for a good serve). Had it been my right if I was a lefty I can't imagine how tough it would have been. Glad the right hand mania has subsided. 

In 2009 I had a Macbook Pro that I bought for travel. I took it on our New England leaf-peeping trip to download all the photos to, and worked on some of them. When I got home and transferred them all to my iMac, I found the ones I processed on the laptop were all way too contrasty. Unacceptably so.  All of that time I spent was wasted. I did them over.  I sold the MacBook not long after, because I was finding I was only using it for web-surfing and the forum. And since I had a desktop, getting a monitor for the MacBook was useless. I wasn’t going to travel with that. My iPad does fine for everything besides photo work, doesn’t get hot on my legs, and is way lighter.

The laptop was great for keeping up with the one soap opera I watched though, while on vacation! But I can do that on my iPad, too!

I had great penmanship with my left hand. I am the youngest of three girls and my sisters taught me so much before I started school. I clamored for information from them and learned to read, too.
The teacher didn’t start punishing me until the second six week period. We got grades every six weeks. My first report card was perfect. Then she started in on me, and I had six weeks of hell. I spent most of my time like a mouse watching a cat, trying to get work hastily done with my left hand while her back was turned. I’d get caught up and forget to keep my eye on her, and BAM! My heart felt like it stopped every time and I’d hear a roaring in my ears, besides the pain in my hand.
That’s why my mother questioned me, because my second report card was so poor.

15 hours ago, Sally R said:

Good on your Mum for sticking up for you Betty. Those early experiences of bullying by teachers can have a lasting effect, so having your Mom step in would have helped you to feel safe and supported and mitigate against future harm. I am only 5'1" and a quiet, gentle person. I was super quiet and shy in school. But if I see someone vulnerable being bullied or mistreated a kind of ferocity kicks in and I have a strong instinct to go in and defend/protect, and I imagine you are similar. I think sensitive people with strong nurturing instincts really care about the sanctity of life and so instinctively protect that. I've read about mother octopuses going to extraordinary lengths to protect their eggs and young, and male Emperor penguins protecting and incubating their eggs on their feet under their fur through extreme Antarctic winters. I haven't had my own kids but if I did I think I'd be like an octopus or Emperor penguin 🐙 🐧 😂

Good for you, Sally!  So right! I cry when a bird dies, and jumped in an unfamiliar river to save a mother dog. She was caught with a hook in her chest from a fishing jug line after trying to cross the river with her half-grown pups.That was tough, because I was trying to chew through the dirty, slimy cord that was tied to the large hook while one of the pups had thrown his front legs over my arm. The rest swam to shore, but this one wouldn’t leave mom and was about to drown. I threw an elbow out and it grabbed on. I didn’t get typhoid or anything from the cord chewing!😂 I did free her, though, without getting bitten. I approached her with soothing baby-talk. I took her and the pup close to the opposite shore from where I was fishing, but the water got too deep so I gave them a shove and they made it to the rest of the clan. I was exhausted and trembling, because it took a long time supporting two dogs while wrestling with the hook in chest high water with a strong current.

• Like 2

I used my computer today, and it seems to be working great. So I have time to wait until the M1X iMac comes out.

On 13/04/2021 at 16:47, MDM said:

I would agree with almost all of that but, if you really want to future proof it, then going for the 16GB graphics (GPU) would be sensible I think, as it is only an extra $200 which is not a lot considering the price of the whole machine. You can't upgrade the GPU in an iMac. Some people might say you don't need such a powerful GPU for Photoshop and Lightroom and that is true now but in a few years time it may not be. Photoshop and Lightroom use the GPU a lot more than they used to. If my budget was really tight, I would even do that over getting the 1TB storage and go for just the 500GB. You can get very fast Thunderbolt3 or even USB3 drives for storage which, while not quite as fast as the internal SSD, are extremely fast and much, much cheaper than SSDs. With the type of workflow you have described before here, you could copy your working files to the internal SSD and when finished move them to an external drive.

I appreciate the info on the GPU. I can upgrade that, maybe. Probably. But I think I’ll still hang on to the 1TB SSD, considering I always seem to have 20-30 “work in progress” folders on my desktop!

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I used my computer today, and it seems to be working great. So I have time to wait until the M1X iMac comes out.

That's great it's back up and working now Betty, hopefully it will stay that way.  Mine is still ok I've just checked my storage and have 1TB with 902.99 available.  I think it really does help moving files onto external drives, I only have one folder on it now.

Carol

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I appreciate the info on the GPU. I can upgrade that, maybe. Probably. But I think I’ll still hang on to the 1TB SSD, considering I always seem to have 20-30 “work in progress” folders on my desktop!

Definitely do both if you can afford the extra $200. It really is about future proofing. That $200 now could mean you get some extra years out of the machine down the line. GPUs are probably going to become more important in the coming years as well it seems. 

Something to be aware of (and this is new to anyone who has never had Thunderbolt on a Mac, particularly Thunderbolt 3) is that there are external solid state drives that run just as fast as internal SSD drives. They are even incredibly fast on older USB3 but they fly on Thunderbolt. These are the same price or cheaper than buying extra internal storage at the time of purchase. So the key point you don't have to load up with internal storage at the time of purchase.

The word on YouTube seems to be that Apple are going to release a 24" M1 iMac but again this looks it might be more of a consumer model - not designed for graphics as such and with no separate GPU. So you might well be going for the Intel Mac if you can't wait. 

4 hours ago, MDM said:

Definitely do both if you can afford the extra $200. It really is about future proofing. That $200 now could mean you get some extra years out of the machine down the line. GPUs are probably going to become more important in the coming years as well it seems. 

Something to be aware of (and this is new to anyone who has never had Thunderbolt on a Mac, particularly Thunderbolt 3) is that there are external solid state drives that run just as fast as internal SSD drives. They are even incredibly fast on older USB3 but they fly on Thunderbolt. These are the same price or cheaper than buying extra internal storage at the time of purchase. So the key point you don't have to load up with internal storage at the time of purchase.

The word on YouTube seems to be that Apple are going to release a 24" M1 iMac but again this looks it might be more of a consumer model - not designed for graphics as such and with no separate GPU. So you might well be going for the Intel Mac if you can't wait. 

I think you’re right about what’s coming. A new video I watched last evening talked like there might bring two 24 inch iMacs announced on the 20th, different specs. Everything is speculation, but clues are speaking to that fact.

What I’m leery of is this. Apple will introduce the 27+ iMac M1X with 16GB RAM. Not ever upgradable. I buy it. A year or two down the road they introduce a new model with 32GB RAM and M2 I’m chewing nails. After all, it’s all about making sales, and a lot of that is deliberate marketing strategy. I hate it.

I’m hearing of a huge chip shortage that’s affecting the auto industry and just about everything else that uses chips. I gather it’s some of the material that make up the chips that’s in short supply. That will affect all sorts of electronics. Ford & Chevrolet have both paused manufacturing of a couple of pickup models because of it.

9 hours ago, MDM said:

Or for a cheaper option (~50% of G-Drive SSD prices in UK), I went with this combination.

UGreen Caddy £25
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y825V4N

Crucial MX500 1TB SSD £90
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078211KBB

I get sustained write speeds of 400MBps and read speeds of 500MBps. Not as rugged as the G-Technology G-Drive (I didn't need "rugged" as the drive is permanently strapped to the back of my 2017 iMac stand - which also acts as a heatsink).

NVMe drives on Thunderbolt can go twice as fast, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHgs3XRPJiM but there maybe reliability and heat dissipation issues, and they cost more.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Or for a cheaper option (~50% of G-Drive SSD prices in UK), I went with this combination.

UGreen Caddy £25
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y825V4N

Crucial MX500 1TB SSD £90
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078211KBB

I get sustained write speeds of 400MBps and read speeds of 500MBps. Not as rugged as the G-Technology G-Drive (I didn't need "rugged" as the drive is permanently strapped to the back of my 2017 iMac stand - which also acts as a heatsink).

NVMe drives on Thunderbolt can go twice as fast, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHgs3XRPJiM but there maybe reliability and heat dissipation issues, and they cost more.

Mark

Good to know Mark.I will keep that in mind for the future.

I have been using G-Technology desktop Thunderbolt 2 and 3 drives as my main working drives as well as backup (USB3 as they are a lot cheaper) since 2014 and have not had a failure or hint of a failure on any so it is a brand I really trust. I got one of the SSDs (500 GB) a few years ago to check it out and was very happy. They are tiny but rugged indeed so great for bringing around when travelling for rapid and secure backup

It must be nice to know what you’re doing. I’m sure I’m missing out on a lot, because I wouldn’t have the slightest clue how to use any of the things you’re discussing, unless frying eggs on it would work. 😟

Maybe it’s hooked up through a port? Then maybe when you turn your computer on, it pops up somewhere so you can see the drive? Do you make folders for your images directly on it, then somehow save your finished work back to it? How about mirroring, or do you do that with external HDs like I’m doing?

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

It must be nice to know what you’re doing. I’m sure I’m missing out on a lot, because I wouldn’t have the slightest clue how to use any of the things you’re discussing, unless frying eggs on it would work. 😟

Maybe it’s hooked up through a port? Then maybe when you turn your computer on, it pops up somewhere so you can see the drive? Do you make folders for your images directly on it, then somehow save your finished work back to it? How about mirroring, or do you do that with external HDs like I’m doing?

These are just external solid state drives (SSDs), which are connected through a port on your computer. The ports very depending on the computer but are of two basic types - USB and Thunderbolt of which there are several varieties. Without going into the details, these little SSDs are much faster in general than older external hard drives or traditional  internal drives for that matter. They have no moving parts so are very quiet. They stay very cool so are not very good for frying eggs or even keeping your coffee warm.

The real downside is they are a lot more expensive per GB which means they are best used as working drives to augment the internal drive and not for long term back up. That is why I said if you could only afford one, get a better graphics card rather than a larger internal drive. Certainly the price in going from 1TB to 2TB on any of the Macs is huge and it is far more economical to buy external SSDs.

Also because they are so fast, they can easily be used to actually run the operating system if the internal drive was to fail. 

I'm just thankful for all the knowledge on here😄  The external hard drives I've been using the last few years are Western Digital My Passport for Mac. They are small and fast.   Are these SSD's, I don't know but having learned about RAM always willing to learn😉

Carol

57 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I'm just thankful for all the knowledge on here😄  The external hard drives I've been using the last few years are Western Digital My Passport for Mac. They are small and fast.   Are these SSD's, I don't know but having learned about RAM always willing to learn😉

Carol

No they are just portable USB3 traditional hard disk drives (HDD with moving disks). I use them for backup as well but have had some of them fail over the last few years so don't entirely trust them any more. They are  cheap and convenient for quick backup. 

G-Technology is what I rely on. It is owned by Western Digital as far as I know but the G-Technology drives are much more reliable in my experience. There are three basic types but there have been various generations of the technologies and terminology can get very confusing. The G-Technology USB3 mains powered desktop drives are reasonably priced and fantastic for backup. They have metal casing so are extremely robust in comparison to plastic external drives.

The SSD drives are in a class of their own in terms of speed and size (tiny) but are expensive. They are much faster for copying files and fast enough to run the OS from. They are great for travelling. They have no moving parts (like camera cards which are a type of SSD).

EDIT - it is important not to mix up the disk technology itself (SSD v HDD) with the file transfer technology (USB, Thunderbolt etc).

Edited by MDM
1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I'm just thankful for all the knowledge on here

me too, these in depth chats are solid gold. I remember a year or so back someone asked a simple question about slide copying and it snowballed into about 15 pages of in depth discussion - it turned into an encyclopedia of slide scanning techniques and ideas. There is so much knowledge here on the forum, its great.

• Upvote 1

Colin, Carol, right on about learning here.

Computers are like automobiles to me. I know how to drive them. But no knowledge how to fix them. Yet I have an ability, usually, to notice when something is even slightly wrong or different from normal. If my car battery is only minutely sluggish starting my car, I notice it. Rather than think I can get more use from a 5 year old battery before buying a new one, I buy a new one before I have a failure and get stranded somewhere.

That's why my Mac has made me nervous. I don’t want a catastrophic failure.

I tried to order my new iMac from B&H today. No ordering due to closing for a religious day. I always forget that. It’s exactly what I can order on the Apple site, same price. But at B&H I can order the extra RAM I want separately, and the Apple Care which I realize I can also get from the Apple Store. I’ll wait until Monday. It sound like I can’t get it for a couple of weeks, anyway.

Mick, I took your advice on the upgrade of the GPU. My old iMac is ticking right along, now. I should be able to get something decent out of it when I sell it.

When the time comes, I’ll be asking how to transfer everything from the old to the new. I think I saw something about a migrating program on the Mac, right? It’s been long enough since buying the last that I’ve forgotten how I did it. I might have let the Apple store where I bought it do it. That’s the stuff that turns me gray. I’m so afraid I’ll mess something up.

44 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I tried to order my new iMac from B&H today. No ordering due to closing for a religious day. I always forget that. It’s exactly what I can order on the Apple site, same price. But at B&H I can order the extra RAM I want separately, and the Apple Care which I realize I can also get from the Apple Store. I’ll wait until Monday. It sound like I can’t get it for a couple of weeks, anyway.

Mick, I took your advice on the upgrade of the GPU. My old iMac is ticking right along, now. I should be able to get something decent out of it when I sell it.

When the time comes, I’ll be asking how to transfer everything from the old to the new. I think I saw something about a migrating program on the Mac, right? It’s been long enough since buying the last that I’ve forgotten how I did it. I might have let the Apple store where I bought it do it. That’s the stuff that turns me gray. I’m so afraid I’ll mess something up.

I’m using a non Mac desktop for my photo editing and unfortunately there was no way to migrate the programs when I had the new SSD drive put in.  Maybe it’s different with a Mac.  I could move any data files but not programs.  I hate having to reload them get my settings reconfigured.  Yes, gray hair and less of it....not in a good way!  

Yes B&H is always closed for the Sabbath every Friday and Saturday.  A little bit inconvenient but they have great prices and service.  I got their company  credit card called Payboo.  You avoid paying sales tax when you use it....for expensive items, that can be very worthwhile!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I’m using a non Mac desktop for my photo editing and unfortunately there was no way to migrate the programs when I had the new SSD drive put in.  Maybe it’s different with a Mac.  I could move any data files but not programs.  I hate having to reload them get my settings reconfigured.  Yes, gray hair and less of it....not in a good way!  

Yes B&H is always closed for the Sabbath every Friday and Saturday.  A little bit inconvenient but they have great prices and service.  I got their company  credit card called Payboo.  You avoid paying sales tax when you use it....for expensive items, that can be very worthwhile!

That is weird. Usually SSDs come with a utility to transfer the whole old old drive to the new one. Including all programs and boot info, keeping the entire structure intact.

If yours came as bulk (no box) there should be a download available for it.

Using just Windows for that is possible, but a bit complicated.

Using a partition manager makes it all a breeze too, but can do serious damage. The utilities that come with an SSD are indeed just partition managers, but with a few extra safeguards and sometimes a nicer interface.  (This is the one from Samsung.)

wim

• Like 1
7 hours ago, wiskerke said:

That is weird. Usually SSDs come with a utility to transfer the whole old old drive to the new one. Including all programs and boot info, keeping the entire structure intact.

If yours came as bulk (no box) there should be a download available for it.

Using just Windows for that is possible, but a bit complicated.

Using a partition manager makes it all a breeze too, but can do serious damage. The utilities that come with an SSD are indeed just partition managers, but with a few extra safeguards and sometimes a nicer interface.  (This is the one from Samsung.)

wim

Oh, I didn’t know that.  I had my son’s friend install it and he never mentioned if he knew.  Live and learn! 😀

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Good advice! I applied for the Payboo card and it saved me $258.00. Nothing to sneeze at. That right there made it worthwhile ordering the computer from B&H over the Apple store.  I had seen Payboo option while adding things to the cart, but hadn’t vetted it, yet. I always pay things off soon as I get the bill, so I can forget the atrocious charge percents. I’m sure they make up any discounts they give from using the card from the people who make payments, and then some. A lot of “some..sum”.

My order is placed.

I did some reading on the Migration manager and about had a heart attack.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Good advice! I applied for the Payboo card and it saved me $258.00. Nothing to sneeze at. That right there made it worthwhile ordering the computer from B&H over the Apple store.  I had seen Payboo option while adding things to the cart, but hadn’t vetted it, yet. I always pay things off soon as I get the bill, so I can forget the atrocious charge percents. I’m sure they make up any discounts they give from using the card from the people who make payments, and then some. A lot of “some..sum”.

My order is placed.

Oh good!! So glad you got it!  I too always pay off all credit charges, never carry a balance.  I learned the hard way in my late 20s I ran up a terrible credit balance.....but I managed to mend my ways.  B&H is a smart business...because of Payboo, I buy all my photo and computer needs from them.  No regrets.  That quite the savings Betty!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Oh good!! So glad you got it!  I too always pay off all credit charges, never carry a balance.  I learned the hard way in my late 20s I ran up a terrible credit balance.....but I managed to mend my ways.  B&H is a smart business...because of Payboo, I buy all my photo and computer needs from them.  No regrets.  That quite the savings Betty!

Throughout my photography stint, I have ordered most of everything from B&H. Trust in a company is worth something. I did order a lens through Amazon because I could get it right away when B&H didn’t have them in stock.

I have been accused of being short on patience, sometimes. :D Not always. It all depends on how long I’ve been anticipating a release! With Fuji, it seems I waited forever for a macro and 100-400, and I needed/wanted them badly. I was used to having those with Nikon, and felt the loss.

6 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Oh, I didn’t know that.  I had my son’s friend install it and he never mentioned if he knew.  Live and learn! 😀

I followed a YouTube video on how to install a SSD drive in a Dell laptop, and used Macrium Reflect to do the cloning.  I don't remember having to reinstall programs, but it's been a few years. 

56 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Also, remember to deauthorize your Adobe programs (and MS office suite programs if you have those) on your old machine, also any other programs where you have limited installations/usages allowed.

If you don't have a Time Machine drive (I have a USB drive for this), you might want to set one up on a USB port on the new machine.  Helpful for getting back anything you mistakenly delete, and for migrating to newer yet machines.   I've used Time Machine to restore files a couple of times, but those couple of times made having it worth it. 

One hint -- print out the Apple instructions and proceed step by step, and check off your choices as you work through.  Or make ovals by the choices you'll take and check them off as you do them.

19 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Also, remember to deauthorize your Adobe programs (and MS office suite programs if you have those) on your old machine, also any other programs where you have limited installations/usages allowed.

If you don't have a Time Machine drive (I have a USB drive for this), you might want to set one up on a USB port on the new machine.  Helpful for getting back anything you mistakenly delete, and for migrating to newer yet machines.   I've used Time Machine to restore files a couple of times, but those couple of times made having it worth it. 

One hint -- print out the Apple instructions and proceed step by step, and check off your choices as you work through.  Or make ovals by the choices you'll take and check them off as you do them.

Good idea. I like lists.
Instructions were talking about multiple choices. Side by side hooked up, using WiFi, probably time machine but I don’t remember it. Also maybe iCloud backup.

I don’t know how to hook them together, or really any of it. But I can learn. (Maybe) I guess I could copy to my desktop HD, I have a couple of GB free. But not sure if that would take forever. And I’m not sure whether I copy just all of the files I’ve created or do I copy things like PS, LR, and any other software I have installed? I realize CC is not installed, it’s cloud based I guess. Yet I see connected PS files that looks like it’s installed. See what I mean? It’s all Greek to me.