On 10/04/2021 at 09:04, Reimar said:

My four were also RF to China.   But I also had one RM for 25/10 cents.  None mention novel use.  I wonder what the explanation for this is.

Is Alamy's new logo: "Microstock without the volume"?

were you four RF to China through distribution like Colin.  The $0.25 would be direct (40% commission for non exclusive), so you can't even opt out

Edited by meanderingemu
On 10/04/2021 at 13:03, John Mitchell said:

Aren't these really Chinese distributor sales? I imagine that microstock prices are the norm in China.

I was curious based on payout amount and %.  since i always saw mine rounded up. Went in Contributor contract

"As soon as a licence is purchased by a Customer we will report to you online the relevant details of such licence. We may round fractions of a cent up or down at our discretion."

Seriously, this is discretionary? 

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

were you four RF to China through distribution like Colin.  The $0.25 would be direct (40% commission for non exclusive), so you can't even opt out

Yes, the four to China were distribution sales.  The 25/10 RM sale was another direct sale of an image of Puerto Vallarta for an editorial website (no novel use anywhere).

Edited by Reimar
On 10/04/2021 at 10:44, Allan Bell said:

My personal view as to what is killing/has killed the good fees is the digital camera. If we were still only able to shoot on film there would be a lot fewer photographers.

JMO.

Allan

Allan, I have to disagree with you on this particular point.

You could say the same for any technological progress that had eased the taking of pictures, like Autofocus for example.

Digital cameras have been an opportunity for photographers, allowing them to get better images, to see the results on location, to experiment all sorts of things at no cost… 

Digital cameras never forced their users to sell their images for peanuts… 

When I get a low fee for one of my images, I do not blame the camera… I blame:

• contributors to microstock who have been doing all they could to fuel this insane race to the bottom (and sometimes do not hesitate to complain here about the situation, which I find pathetic)

• me of course, for not producing images worthy of better income (better, less generic photographs, or more in line with demand…)

I will not argue on the subject, I have already done it several times on this forum and elsewhere and obviously, everyone sees noon at his doorstep so, JMO also ;).

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Reimar said:

Yes, the four to China were distribution sales.  The 25/10 RM sale was another direct sale of an image of Puerto Vallarta for an editorial website (no novel use anywhere).

Fortunately, I haven't had either of those types of sales yet (famous last words). The PV ones are definitely troubling as Alamy has control over the pricing. I imagine that distributors can charge whatever they like.

34 minutes ago, Olivier Parent said:

Allan, I have to disagree with you on this particular point.

You could say the same for any technological progress that had eased the taking of pictures, like Autofocus for example.

Digital cameras have been an opportunity for photographers, allowing them to get better images, to see the results on location, to experiment all sorts of things at no cost… 

Digital cameras never forced their users to sell their images for peanuts… 

When I get a low fee for one of my images, I do not blame the camera… I blame:

• contributors to microstock who have been doing all they could to fuel this insane race to the bottom (and sometimes do not hesitate to complain here about the situation, which I find pathetic)

• me of course, for not producing images worthy of better income (better, less generic photographs, or more in line with demand…)

I will not argue on the subject, I have already done it several times on this forum and elsewhere and obviously, everyone sees noon at his doorstep so, JMO also ;).

Yes, it seems to be a traceable thread of sorts:

digital technology ---> increased ease of production ----> huge rise in supply of images ---> birth of RF ----> rush to microstock ---> saturated markets ---> declining prices overall ---> starvation (I was hesitant to add this one).

Edited by John Mitchell
53 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, it seems to be a traceable thread of sorts:

digital technology ---> increased ease of production ----> huge rise in supply of images ---> birth of RF ----> rush to microstock ---> saturated markets ---> declining prices overall ---> starvation (I was hesitant to add this one).

I've made zero sales this month...

...but on the upside, I need to lose weight. 😆

25 minutes ago, Steve F said:

I've made zero sales this month...

...but on the upside, I need to lose weight. 😆

Sorry to hear that. I'm not doing much better (2). Come to think of it, I need to drop a few pandemic pounds myself. 🍷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 days into the month and even with over 17,000 images here I've had only 1 sale, netting a little over a dollar ☹️ 

Sure hope the second half of the month goes better, but seeing the trends reported here has really taken the wind out of my sails.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Goose egg territory for me, also. And very few zooms.

Betty. I have a confession to make....

...I sold my first picture of the month yesterday. But a distro bulk discount to a Turkish newspaper. So nothing to write home about!

My zooms have been really good though. Hoping for a sales surge later in the year... 🤞