Jump to content

Let's Talk Cameras For A Minute: DSLR -> Mirrorless


Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, kimba said:

MDM - I only buy the Canon lenses - EF-L glass lenses in the past, but I'll have to research that - I usually just purchase one zoom to cover everything because I do not like carrying or switching out lenses. 

 

Sure - stick with the L lenses especially if you go for the R5. It looks like Canon are making a range of 24-70 L zooms and a 24-105 f4 for the R series. The 24-70 f2.8 is pricy whereas the  24-70 f4 not too bad. One thing to keep in mind with lenses for mirrorless is that a wide max aperture is not as important as with a DSLR shooting in low light as the EVF will adapt and brighten up. The AF might not be as good with a smaller aperture lens though and nor will it be as good as a wider aperture at getting out of focus backgrounds if that is important.  

Edited by MDM
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just jumping in here to say I got a Canon R and the 24-105mm f4 lens about 2 years ago. It came also with an adaptor to fit EF lenses. I've since added the 35mm f1.8 macro.

Both lenses are incredibly sharp. CA a slight issue at the wide end of the zoom but easily fixed in LR.

AF is impressive for a mirrorless(I used Fuji XT1 before and this is better).

I've used the adaptor with a very early EF 70-200mm f4; EF 17-40mm f4; EF100mm f2.8 macro; and can say the results are great.

The CR3 RAW files are the best ever from Canon with a dynamic range of almost 14 stops.

Low light work results are good and I have no problem pushing ISO to 3200 when needed.

I also still work with a 5D MKIII. If I had the budget I'd get the R5 and sell the 5D in a second.

 

All these photos were made with the R and 24-105mm: https://tinyurl.com/dv2p2ps

 

Good luck with your budget!😁

Phil

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kimba said:

MDM - I only buy the Canon lenses - EF-L glass lenses in the past, but I'll have to research that - I usually just purchase one zoom to cover everything because I do not like carrying or switching out lenses. 

One of the reasons I went for the R range mirrorless cameras is that I was fed up of having to carry two or three lenses when travelling abroad in Europe - I simply found I was never actually using my EF 70-200 F2.8 Mark II anymore as it was just too heavy. Canon have brought out the RF 24-240 F4-6.3, which has IS, but is not an L lens. Frankly, it's not as good as the L lenses in that edge definition is slightly poorer, and chromatic aberration is prominent, and maximum aperture is a bit lower, but the second problem is easily corrected in lightroom and the first problem is not that noticeable the huge majority of the time, and the third is compensated for by the improved ISO performance and 45MP of the R5. 

Though I will still use L range RF lenses for some work, the 24-240 makes a great all-round lens and at £950 is good value. 

 

Kumar

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Doc said:

One of the reasons I went for the R range mirrorless cameras is that I was fed up of having to carry two or three lenses when travelling abroad in Europe - I simply found I was never actually using my EF 70-200 F2.8 Mark II anymore as it was just too heavy. Canon have brought out the RF 24-240 F4-6.3, which has IS, but is not an L lens. Frankly, it's not as good as the L lenses in that edge definition is slightly poorer, and chromatic aberration is prominent, and maximum aperture is a bit lower, but the second problem is easily corrected in lightroom and the first problem is not that noticeable the huge majority of the time, and the third is compensated for by the improved ISO performance and 45MP of the R5. 

Though I will still use L range RF lenses for some work, the 24-240 makes a great all-round lens and at £950 is good value. 

 

Kumar

 

It really depends on what you are doing Kumar. Firstly, I find it very frustrating to have a lens that has poor(er) edge definition as it means I will have to crop a carefully composed landscape where I want edge to edge sharpness (or downsize it which may not work anyway). Or consider the case of a big group photo at a wedding where the guests at the edges are going fuzzy (and it's not from too much alcohol consumption - by the guests I mean). That would not be good for reputation. 😀

 

Secondly, in relation to the longer focal length of the 24-240 in comparison to the 24-105L, for example, on a high MP camera such as the R5, you can probably get a shot that is as good (or better) using the L lens at say 100mm than the other lens at 200mm by cropping the L shot in post. You don't necessarily need the reach in the viewfinder unless you want the full 45MP but that is probably unlikely for the type of stuff you would be doing at the long telephoto end of the zoom. Just a different way of thinking and specific to high MP cameras like the R5. 

 

The key thing really is that the higher the MP size, the better the lenses need to be in general.

 

 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MDM said:

 

It really depends on what you are doing Kumar. Firstly, I find it very frustrating to have a lens that has poor(er) edge definition as it means I will have to crop a carefully composed landscape where I want edge to edge sharpness (or downsize it which may not work anyway). Or consider the case of a big group photo at a wedding where the guests at the edges are going fuzzy (and it's not from too much alcohol consumption - by the guests I mean). That would not be good for reputation. 😀

 

Secondly, in relation to the longer focal length of the 24-240 in comparison to the 24-105L, for example, on a high MP camera such as the R5, you can probably get a shot that is as good (or better) using the L lens at say 100mm than the other lens at 200mm by cropping the L shot in post. You don't necessarily need the reach in the viewfinder unless you want the full 45MP but that is probably unlikely for the type of stuff you would be doing at the long telephoto end of the zoom. Just a different way of thinking and specific to high MP cameras like the R5. 

 

The key thing really is that the higher the MP size, the better the lenses need to be in general.

 

 

Agreed Mick!

 

Kumar

Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly congratulations Kumar on your Canon R5 it's a superb camera and you are obviously enjoying the advantages of this new technology...

 

  Ahh photography gear, so necessary  to take pictures ( yeah i include mobile phones )...but lets's stick to cameras and lenses...Like Chuck i loved the Olympus OM series OM 1 / 2 / 3 and 4..with Zuiko 24 f2 / 100 f2 / 180 f2.8 and so on...Then to Nikon's great offerings...Ok back to the present and i have also bought the Canon R5 after owning and using all the Canon 5D series cameras.I really felt that the Canon 5D3 and 5D4 were the best from that series and still present as great value especially when coupled with Canon L glass, and would be a great choices if you are a Canon shooter wanting  capable full frame cameras..The mirrorless Canon R with its 30.3MP full frame sensor and the option to adapt EF lenses and also of course use the new Canon RF series lenses is the best of both Canon mount worlds 😀 

 

On going mirrorless, i wanted to get the best in my preferred brand Canon and so opted fro the R5 and so far i am really impressed with this camera.The electronic viewfinder is excellent and i have gotten used to it..Like Kumar said you can review and evaluate your exposure or settings while having the camera still to your eye and i do like that feature.The tracking and focussing is excellent and with eye, head and face tracking for people, and also same for most wildlife.The big 45MP sensor with its excellent cropping and dynamic range performance...IBIS and much much more, plenty of reviews online..

 

The other great choice is the Canon R6 with its more manageable 20MP sensor and has most of the Canon R5 features and is cheaper...I do like the RF glass and yes the cost is high, but you do get sharp and great results from these lenses and you would expect nothing less from Canon.There is now plenty of choices with the RF range of lenses and more in the pipeline..I love fast glass and so i just had to have the superb RF f2 / 28 to 70 L lens...Why because i like the focal range and it is razor sharp for a zoom and i can use it wide open at f2 for great bokeh blur..It is a heavy lens but manageable...

Edited by William Caram
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are planning on shooting  4k video with the 5d MK IV keep in mind the file sizes are enormous and there is a 1.74x  crop factor in 4K .  You may need to upgrade your computer and storage to handle the load.  You might look at the Canon 90D or M60 which have a 32 mp sensor has a smaller body's and do 4k video.   The 5D Mk IV is a heavy camera when you put a 2.8 zoom lens on it.

   https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/canon-eos-90d-vs-eos-m6-mark-ii-dslr-vs-mirrorless-how-do-you-choose

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Johnnie5 said:

If you are planning on shooting  4k video with the 5d MK IV keep in mind the file sizes are enormous and there is a 1.74x  crop factor in 4K .  You may need to upgrade your computer and storage to handle the load.  You might look at the Canon 90D or M60 which have a 32 mp sensor has a smaller body's and do 4k video.   The 5D Mk IV is a heavy camera when you put a 2.8 zoom lens on it.

   https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/canon-eos-90d-vs-eos-m6-mark-ii-dslr-vs-mirrorless-how-do-you-choose

 

Thanks! The 90D might be a good third choice if my budget doesn't pan out ... I really do want a full-frame camera though, I really miss shooting full frame. I really like composing with the full-frame and I haven't been able to do that since I gave up film photography. 

Edited by kimba
Link to post
Share on other sites

I switched from Nikon (D800/D300) to Olympus in 2014. The advantages of DSLM are pretty apparent - less mechanical parts, true live view, IBIS (very useful).

While the quality of Olympus is pretty good and cameras offer nice features like stacking, live composite/live bulb I would not recommend it today, as the future is at risk, imaging business sold to a new OMDS company, and developement on camera side stopped in 2017.

 

Looking at the shrinking camera market today I would only buy either Sony, Canon or probably Fuji, high chance they are in business in 10 years as well.

Nikon is too dependend on the camera business.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using Sony mirrorless for four years.   If I were building a system from new I would chose between Sony/Canon/Fuji.  Sony is the most complete mirrorless system at the moment, and has pioneered mirroless tech.    I don't think the declining market will carry four companies: Olympus is looking at the exit door and Nikon is on choppy waters.   I would not invest in DSLR, it will be gone within a decade and you risk stranded assets, or will end up adapting old lenses to the newest technology.  https://petapixel.com/2021/03/03/nikon-only-has-7-5-share-of-the-mirrorless-market-report/

 

Edited by marc
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

It looks like I might have to go with the 90D for now. B&H has a bundle with an ok lens. It will be affordable, much better than my last camera (30D), and hopefully some projects will pan out later in the year and I will be able to upgrade. It will also allow for me to budget for some storage devices and some software I've been needing to update. 

 

Thanks for the input - I now have a plan. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually, after more looking and and more comparing and more consulting with my Canon friends, I went with the 6D. Still from B&H and bundled with the newer version of the lens I am used to working with.  It should arrive by next weekend. 

 

I'm so looking forward to getting back to work!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, kimba said:

Actually, after more looking and and more comparing and more consulting with my Canon friends, I went with the 6D. Still from B&H and bundled with the newer version of the lens I am used to working with.  It should arrive by next weekend. 

 

I'm so looking forward to getting back to work!

Congrats on deciding on a camera and lens! Best of luck!

 

Kumar

ps. which lens/lenses will you be using with it?

Edited by Doc
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Doc said:

ps. which lens/lenses will you be using with it?

 

It is coming bundled with the Canon EF-L 24-105 zoom. Pretty sure it's version II. That was my only lens and it was stolen and I loved it. I don't like switching lenses so I either opt for a permanent fixed 50mm or a permanent zoom of some sort. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kimba said:

 

It is coming bundled with the Canon EF-L 24-105 zoom. Pretty sure it's version II. That was my only lens and it was stolen and I loved it. I don't like switching lenses so I either opt for a permanent fixed 50mm or a permanent zoom of some sort. 

 

 

Great combination of camera and lens...quality and versatility, happy to see that you got what you really wanted..Creative and fun times ahead for you, enjoy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Just submitted my first images - two point and shoots - with the new 6D as test images and they passed QC.

 

Yay!

 

Now, to get to work! 

 

Thanks everyone for you help!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.