I've thought about this before, If Alamy started working Saturday/Sunday surely we would sell more.

I know some will say that this is a traditional stock agency and we don't do things like that.

But I think it's high time at least opening up on Saturday to begin with at least

• Confused 1
1 minute ago, PAL Media said:

I've thought about this before, If Alamy started working Saturday/Sunday surely we would sell more.

I know some will say that this is a traditional stock agency and we don't do things like that.

But I think it's high time at least opening up on Saturday to begin with at least

EH?

The website is open 24/7.

Presumably most business buyers aren't.

• Upvote 4
4 minutes ago, PAL Media said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've assumed sales can and are being made at weekends but the reporting system is delayed until bods are in the office?

Edited by Avpics
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

Presumably most business buyers aren't.

That's the bit that bugs me, in this day and age is that still true

5 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've assumed sales can and are being made at weekends but the reporting system is delayed until bods are in the office?

I have never ever seen this, sure I have had Monday sales but they come with a Monday's date, never from the weekend

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, PAL Media said:

I have never ever seen this, sure I have had Monday sales but they come with a Monday's date, never from the weekend

isn't date based on day they were billed?  i have plenty of media sales that were used way before the licenced date, and some on weekends 

Edited by meanderingemu

I had a sale last Saturday.  And meaderingemu is right, they show up when sale is reported, not when downloaded.

Jill

• Thanks 1

I dimly remember a few. Not many. I think there was a personal use license and there might have been a particularly frantic end of month that rolled into the weekend. 

Stay patient safe.

53 minutes ago, PAL Media said:

Zooms do have the date of the day they are zoomed. They are reported on Monday, but can have a Saturday or Sunday date.

So maybe have a look through your history and see if any of the people interested in your (sort of) images are at all active.

Most sales during the weekend are PU which are paid by credit card. Which are being reported right away.

But if you search on this forum, there are reports of people getting a weekend sale. Usually saying something like: a very rare weekend sale.

Now how do I check how many I have over the year? Other than by hand.

wim

edit: Not all countries observe Saturdays and/or Sundays as days to keep businesses closed.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I get them sometimes - usually 'personal use', but not always.

Sales are usually reported when they are invoiced. PU sales are paid with credit cards at the time of download - I presume - and customers without an account might shop at the weekends and pay cash. I did have a $$$ sale on a Saturday once, but that was years ago.

Edited by Phil Robinson
  • Like 2
55 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

isn't date based on day they were billed?  i have plenty of media sales that were used way before the licenced date, and some on weekends 

I have had usages every day of the week, what I have never had is an image reported on a weekend, hope that clears that up.

34 minutes ago, PAL Media said:

I have had usages every day of the week, what I have never had is an image reported on a weekend, hope that clears that up.

still not clear how that impacts my revenue?  Sales are happening, without staff- ie costs to my agent, so that is good.  Would more sale happen if a billing person was in attendance on Saturday?  If not wouldn't that mean Alamy needs to find a place to offset the extra cost, and since they only have one source of revenue- commission on my sales- less money left for contributor?

Maybe i am missing something.

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

You can get Excel to COUNT them. Not a straightforward COUNT, but pretty simple to set up (if that makes sense?!)

Got to go out now but I'll either upload an example or post a link later, if you don't find something in the next few hours.

• Like 1

I had three sales drop in on the last day of Feb - a Sunday.  All of the same subject and reasonable fees - low $$$ in total.

I've had a few weekend sales before that but not many and I think only one or two on a Sunday.

• Like 1

Just 3 or 4 weekend sales since joining Alamy, including this a year ago....very surprised to have a UK newspaper report on a Sunday (not Live News)...

29 March 2020 Rights Managed

Usage: Editorial
Media: Newspaper - national
Print run: up to 2 million
Placement: Inside and online
Image Size: 1/4 page
Start: 09 February 2020
End: 10 February 2020

The website is open 24/7 as Spacecadet states. If we were to have the Alamy bods working weekends, guess who'd be paying extra for the overtime ? !

15 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

The website is open 24/7 as Spacecadet states. If we were to have the Alamy bods working weekends, guess who'd be paying extra for the overtime ? !

We're told that Alamy has a very good customer service and that is why clients come back time and time again despite costing slightly more.

To my mind if they are not there at the weekends offering the Alamy customer service 'experience' then are these clients going elsewhere at the weekend.

How much of that weekend revenue is being missed, who knows.

It seems to me that weekend sales have picked up during COVID times. They are usually PU, presentation, or distributor licenses for me. I also see sales popping up at different hours on my sales report. They used to show up only in the morning. Now they often appear later in the day (my time) as well. Perhaps this has to do with some Alamy employees working from home.

• Like 1

Had one this morning - $20 pres/newsletter.

...and another. That's $20 more than I usually make on  Sunday morning.

...and a third. All $20 pres/newsletter studio shots.

Edited by Phil Robinson
  • Like 2
22 hours ago, wiskerke said:

wim

edit: Not all countries observe Saturdays and/or Sundays as days to keep businesses closed.

20 hours ago, losdemas said:

You can get Excel to COUNT them. Not a straightforward COUNT, but pretty simple to set up (if that makes sense?!)

Got to go out now but I'll either upload an example or post a link later, if you don't find something in the next few hours.

Sorry, forgot all about this yesterday!

I've now posted an example of what I use here  (EXCEL file!) - please advise when you have checked it out (or otherwise, if you decide not to!), so that I can remove it ASAP. Thanks.

All usual disclaimers apply - the file was fine upon upload, but virus scanning your responsibility, etc.

Alternatively, just do a search for "SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY" and I'm sure that you'll find the same or a very similar solution in many places.

Not many sales possible at the moment:

Alamy

Sorry!
We’ll be right back.

Something went wrong but don’t worry
we’re working hard to fix it, please try
again in a few minutes.