Editing photo marked editorial

dkhowe

Question

I‘m happy to hear from so many experienced voices. I think in the future before I even take the picture I will ask myself if I feel comfortable publishing it (I’ve worked in so many arenas where an individual’s privacy was a priority that it is an hyper awareness I will always have) and, if I do remove something like the name of a boat, I will make note in the additional info. Also, I’m also going to try to rid myself of my fears about asking for permission after I’ve already taken the photo. Like I said before, if a person is on their boat asking them is no problem, it’s just after the fact. 

• Love 1

41 minutes ago, dkhowe said:

Like I said before, if a person is on their boat asking them is no problem, it’s just after the fact. 

I'll only say that if you are comfortable in your own mind that you don't need their permission to put the picture up on Alamy then asking them is only going to potentially cause problems. If you upload images to Alamy then the default is 'No model release' and 'No property release' even if you don't take the extra step of marking them as 'Editorial only'.

If someone asked you permission to do something would you necessarily say 'Yes' if you couldn't be entirely sure what you were agreeing to? That's what model and property releases are for and it doesn't sound as if you are thinking of asking them to sign one of those.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, dkhowe said:

I‘m happy to hear from so many experienced voices. I think in the future before I even take the picture I will ask myself if I feel comfortable publishing it (I’ve worked in so many arenas where an individual’s privacy was a priority that it is an hyper awareness I will always have) and, if I do remove something like the name of a boat, I will make note in the additional info. Also, I’m also going to try to rid myself of my fears about asking for permission after I’ve already taken the photo. Like I said before, if a person is on their boat asking them is no problem, it’s just after the fact. 

Will the current boat owners see the image?   Possibly if the image is licensed by a yachting magazine they subscribe to.  Possibly never if it's used on a banknote in a completely difference country and as part of a composite.

20 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Will the current boat owners see the image?   Possibly if the image is licensed by a yachting magazine they subscribe to.  Possibly never if it's used on a banknote in a completely difference country and as part of a composite.

I guess I imagine the boat owner seeing the image in my portfolio and not being happy. However, in your two examples—a boating magazine or on a banknote—they would probably be thrilled and show it to all their friends. Since I haven’t sold any photos yet and am aware that there are people who have never sold photos, to me, it seems more likely they would see the pic of their boat in my portfolio.

20 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I'll only say that if you are comfortable in your own mind that you don't need their permission to put the picture up on Alamy then asking them is only going to potentially cause problems. If you upload images to Alamy then the default is 'No model release' and 'No property release' even if you don't take the extra step of marking them as 'Editorial only'.

If someone asked you permission to do something would you necessarily say 'Yes' if you couldn't be entirely sure what you were agreeing to? That's what model and property releases are for and it doesn't sound as if you are thinking of asking them to sign one of those.

Since, I’m new to Alamy, I’m still finding my personal comfort level when shooting in public. Right now I’m in my attic shooting closeups of sea shells. No rights issues there. I’m in the free zone.

2 hours ago, dkhowe said:

Since I haven’t sold any photos yet and am aware that there are people who have never sold photos, to me, it seems more likely they would see the pic of their boat in my portfolio.

I've never had anyone mention that they've seen their photos in my Alamy portfolio, and that includes my family.  People generally don't do that.  I also have family members who haven't read any of my published novels, and we didn't read all of my dad's self-published memoirs. 

On 10/03/2021 at 17:07, GeoffK said:

I agree with what you are doing, making editorial i.e. it will be used in an editorial setting photos is not the same as hard news (Editorial with a capital E if you wish).  Cloning out bits and pieces to make the image more saleable is fine and IME, worth the effort.

I usually clone out unsightly moveable items, like litter, bins etc, on the basis that I might well have taken the photo on another day when they weren't there.

Alan

1 hour ago, Inchiquin said:

I usually clone out unsightly moveable items, like litter, bins etc, on the basis that I might well have taken the photo on another day when they weren't there.

Alan

Much the same as you Alan, have also moved traffic cones, wheelie bins and ropes around display items, then put them back. A friend of mine used to unscrew signs, or loosen the screws holding it to a post and turn from face on to side on so it had negative effect on a scenic view. I've never removed single or double yellow lines on roads, but some do, more so when selling scenic prints. Have also cleaned up the teeth from headshots when they have the remains of food between their teeth or stuck to their lips. Yes, some people do eat just before standing in front of a microphone.

Edited by sb photos

5 hours ago, sb photos said:

Have also cleaned up the teeth from headshots when they have the remains of food between their teeth or stuck to their lips. Yes, some people do eat just before standing in front of a microphone.

I can't even sit down to watch television if I've got food stuck in my teeth.

Alan

6 hours ago, sb photos said:

Much the same as you Alan, have also moved traffic cones, wheelie bins and ropes around display items, then put them back. A friend of mine used to unscrew signs, or loosen the screws holding it to a post and turn from face on to side on so it had negative effect on a scenic view. I've never removed single or double yellow lines on roads, but some do, more so when selling scenic prints. Have also cleaned up the teeth from headshots when they have the remains of food between their teeth or stuck to their lips. Yes, some people do eat just before standing in front of a microphone.

I once moved an advertising board that had been stuck right in front of, and was almost touching, a public sculpture that I wanted to photograph.  I 'accidentally' forgot to put it back....