Hi, on Alamy since May 2019 but no sales

Hi, on Alamy since May 2019 but no sales, my portfolio is rather small but still any help or advice  how to do photography and/or descriptions better will be highly appreciated, thanks

Hi Lenny,

I think your primary issue is likely to be only having 122 images uploaded. You will need quite a few more and to keep uploading consistently over time. Your images are varied which is great.

Several images are a little dark and could do with being brightened up a bit. They may need to be a bit punchier to capture the eye of a customer browsing. Also, a few look a tad soft to me such as the one of Bangour Village Hospital Church, 2C0Y02B. This one is not in the best light either, though I realise you can't always control that factor at the time you are there. I can also see a hint of chromatic aberration in the trees on this one, and also in another of the same building, 2C0XYYF, where it is around the edges of the building. In most software you can correct this, either automatically or manually depending what you use, and Alamy actually want us to correct for this. The ones of people doing things, such as the Slovakian dancers and ladies preparing food, are great ones to have for Alamy.

The captioning and keywording generally looks good to me on the images I looked at. However, one thing I'd suggest with keywording is putting some of the words together. For example, in the one of Mill 3 and 4 at New Lanark Mill Village, image 2BX7EC3, the words '18th' and 'century' are put as separate tags. From what I understand (and please someone else correct me if I'm wrong) it can be beneficial to have them together as this might reduce the chance of your image being a false positive in customer searches, which is better for your Click Through Rate. You could also put it without numbers as 'eighteenth century'.

Also, in the image of Kosice International Airport,  2BYP1W5, I think you mean to say in the caption that the main building is on the right instead of the left. This image is a bit too soft as well and a bit too dark. It is another one where you could put a couple of keywords together such as 'passenger' and 'terminal' as 'passenger terminal'. In this image there is no individual passenger or any people featured, so 'passenger' on its own could lead to false positives.  I can see you have put some words together with some of your keywords.

In some cases it can help to have plurals as well. So, for example, you might want to have 'buildings' as well as 'building' as some customers will search for 'heritage buildings' or 'buildings in New Lanark'. By having the plural there it will bring up your image for people searching in this way.

So I would say brighten up your images, look out for softness and chromatic aberration, where it is logical to do so put some keywords together, and upload many more!

• Upvote 1

Hi Sally R, 

thank you ever so much for your tips and advice, never thought about connecting keywords together this I will definitely change - what a great advice! will look at my images again and brighten underexposed images for sure, somehow I missed this very important point, thank you for this so much.

Yes you are right about those abandoned hospital images, they are soft, had a way around and discovered this place by the end of a day light with light rain, had no tripod with me and failed to take sharp images -  really wanted to have them online as I never managed to come back to this area and perhaps won't have a chance to do better in a future either, but I completely missed the chromatic aberration there so thank you for pointing this to me will try to fix it somehow and look for this issue in now images. 

23 hours ago, lennystan said:

Hi Sally R, 

thank you ever so much for your tips and advice, never thought about connecting keywords together this I will definitely change - what a great advice! will look at my images again and brighten underexposed images for sure, somehow I missed this very important point, thank you for this so much.

Yes you are right about those abandoned hospital images, they are soft, had a way around and discovered this place by the end of a day light with light rain, had no tripod with me and failed to take sharp images -  really wanted to have them online as I never managed to come back to this area and perhaps won't have a chance to do better in a future either, but I completely missed the chromatic aberration there so thank you for pointing this to me will try to fix it somehow and look for this issue in now images. 

You're welcome Lenny. All the best and hope sales will come your way soon.

• Like 1