Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello Affinty Photo users.

 

I've just started using Affinity Photo which I like so far. I've been using it for perspective correction (I will be using it for other purposes too but not up to that yet). I just went to export my first JPEG from a TIFF file to which I have applied perspective correction.

 

Several options appear for the kind of resampling to be used. The one for Bilinear resampling was already ticked and the quality option already showed as Best Quality. The options that appear for resampling are:

 

Resampling methods

The following resample settings are available:

Nearest Neighbor—simple resampling which has the fastest processing time. Use for hard-edge images.

Bilinear—algorithmic resampling for use when shrinking images.

Bicubic—algorithmic resampling for use when enlarging images. Resampling is smoother than Bilinear but has a slower processing time.

Lanczos 3—complex algorithmic resampling which gives the best results but with the longest processing time. Available as 'separable' and 'non-separable'; the latter gives marginally better results, but is slightly slower than 'separable'.

 

I went with the default option of Best Quality and Bilinear and it has produced what looks like a pretty good JPEG image which is 16.5MB in size. However, I am not sure what the advantages/disadvantages are of the other export options and I'm not sure I fully understand the meaning of each. I noticed if I select other options other than Bilinear that the Best Quality Option disappears.

 

Of those of you who are Affinity photo users, what is the resampling method you usually use for export and do you change it for different purposes? By going with Bilinear and Best Quality is this the right thing?

 

Many thanks in advance!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bicubic always used to be the recommendation when the choice was relevant. I don't think LR even has the option anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Bicubic always used to be the recommendation when the choice was relevant. I don't think LR even has the option anymore.

Thanks Mark. When they talk about shrinking and enlarging images, I am not sure if they are meaning going from a more detailed file to a less detailed one, such as TIFF or RAW to JPEG and vice versa, or exactly what they mean?

 

The bilinear option seems to have worked fine and produced good JPEGS anyway. It also showed as the default option on an Affinity tutorial I watched on exporting. So maybe I'll just stick with that for now but research a bit further as well to confirm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Sally, I have also just taken the plunge as I couldn't resist the half price offer and hope to improve the quality of my images by using Affinity.

I have to say that for someone who has never used any software to improve images before the choices of how to use the system are overwhelming.

It's obvious I need to spend time watching some of the tutorials so that I know where to start at least.

Earn real money working or spend time doing something I enjoy but doesn't pay the bills, that's the choice!

As others have commented on another thread, your owl image is superb which will sell, sorry licence, many times I expect.

Have a good day which is just ending at the time I am posting this I guess.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't use Affinity but It's very simple Sally as it is similar to Photoshop with fewer options. What they mean with shrinking and enlarging is downsizing and upsizing - that is decreasing or increasing the number of pixels in the image. it has nothing to do with file types. 

 

You are probably not going to be upsizing so just use Bilinear when downsizing which is probably what you will be doing most of the time.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Tony ALS said:

Hi Sally, I have also just taken the plunge as I couldn't resist the half price offer and hope to improve the quality of my images by using Affinity.

I have to say that for someone who has never used any software to improve images before the choices of how to use the system are overwhelming.

It's obvious I need to spend time watching some of the tutorials so that I know where to start at least.

Earn real money working or spend time doing something I enjoy but doesn't pay the bills, that's the choice!

As others have commented on another thread, your owl image is superb which will sell, sorry licence, many times I expect.

Have a good day which is just ending at the time I am posting this I guess.

 

Thanks so much Tony about the owl picture! Yes, there are so many options in Affinity. I know what you mean about having the time to learn everything. I think I have to just take one step at a time, learning task by task. I think once you have learned how to do something everything speeds up, but the initial learning can be a slow process. All the best with it and happy to share knowledge on it at anytime. And yes, it is nearing the end of the day here, coming up to 8:20pm Perth time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MDM said:

I don't use Affinity but It's very simple Sally as it is similar to Photoshop with fewer options. What they mean with shrinking and enlarging is downsizing and upsizing - that is decreasing or increasing the number of pixels in the image. it has nothing to do with file types. 

 

You are probably not going to be upsizing so just use Bilinear when downsizing which is probably what you will be doing most of the time.

 

Ah, thank you Michael! That makes sense. The terms bilinear and bicubic etc were a bit confusing to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sally R said:

 

Ah, thank you Michael! That makes sense. The terms bilinear and bicubic etc were a bit confusing to me.


Not something I have spent a lot of time thinking about myself Sally. I leave Photoshop set to automatic and allow it to decide based on whether it is upsizing or downsizing. I very rarely upsize these days unless I need a particularly large print and don’t have sufficient pixels in the file. It used to be that Alamy required a minimum size of 48MB (pixel dimensions) so it was necessary at that time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/03/2021 at 03:41, Tony ALS said:

Hi Sally, I have also just taken the plunge as I couldn't resist the half price offer and hope to improve the quality of my images by using Affinity.

I have to say that for someone who has never used any software to improve images before the choices of how to use the system are overwhelming.

It's obvious I need to spend time watching some of the tutorials so that I know where to start at least.

Earn real money working or spend time doing something I enjoy but doesn't pay the bills, that's the choice!

As others have commented on another thread, your owl image is superb which will sell, sorry licence, many times I expect.

Have a good day which is just ending at the time I am posting this I guess.

 

 

 

 

I hope it's OK if I horn in here. It sounds as if we're in a similar situation. I've never done much in the way of "photo improvement" either. My interest has always been mainly in the content of an image. Guess I'm old-fashioned in that respect. Currently, I seldom spend more than few minutes on adjusting photos, trying to stay as faithful as possible to what I actually saw and felt when I pushed the shutter button. Personally, I find some of the current trends in image manipulation very disturbing (but that's another story). Having said all this, Affinity is currently only $35 CAN, which sounds like a real bargain. How do you like it so far? I've watched a couple of introductory videos, and the learning curve looks pretty steep (for me anyway).

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

I hope it's OK if I horn in here. It sounds as if we're in a similar situation. I've never done much in the way of "photo improvement" either. My interest has always been mainly in the content of an image. Guess I'm old-fashioned in that respect. Currently, I seldom spend more than few minutes on adjusting photos, trying to stay as faithful as possible to what I actually saw and felt when I pushed the shutter button. Personally, I find some of the current trends in image manipulation very disturbing (but that's another story). Having said all this, Affinity is currently only $35 CAN, which sounds like a real bargain. How do you like it so far? I've watched a couple of introductory videos, and the learning curve looks pretty steep (for me anyway).

Hi John, you are coming from exactly the same place as me. I can't justify spending much on this type of software without my images producing enough to cover the cost but I was sucked in by the low price Affinity are advertising now. It does look like a bargain but the incredible range of manipulation methods and ways of using the software has meant I haven't tried anything yet as I need time to learn what is and isn't useful, when I haven't got time🙄.

 

I just had another 104 images pass QC so I need to get those on sale (sorry available to be licensed for the older hands on here) next.

Sorry I can't give you any real feedback yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony ALS said:

Hi John, you are coming from exactly the same place as me. I can't justify spending much on this type of software without my images producing enough to cover the cost but I was sucked in by the low price Affinity are advertising now. It does look like a bargain but the incredible range of manipulation methods and ways of using the software has meant I haven't tried anything yet as I need time to learn what is and isn't useful, when I haven't got time🙄.

 

I just had another 104 images pass QC so I need to get those on sale (sorry available to be licensed for the older hands on here) next.

Sorry I can't give you any real feedback yet.

 

No problem. There are probably only a few features that I'm interested in at the moment -- resizing, focus-stacking, photo stitching (for panoramas), plus mundane chores like dust blob removal and perspective control. I wonder how Affinity performs in those areas. I'm also concerned about the possibility of proprietary file naming mentioned in another thread.

 

I'm currently using the free Capture One Express for Sony software along with a PS Elements and a couple of other programs, which have been working fine for me. However, I want to upgrade my current version of PS Elements and am thinking that Affinity (at only $35) might be a better choice. I'm not really interested in producing eye-candy or doing content manipulation. My problem is that sadly I no longer trust a lot of the "amazing" or "stunning" photos that I see. Is that really what the photographer saw? What did he/ she add or remove, etc.? Is it just "fake news"? These questions haunt me. As I said, I'm old-fashioned and probably something of a curmudgeon at this point. 😠

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tony ALS said:

Hi Sally, just in case you haven't seen the thread in the link above

 

Thank you Tony. I've just had a read of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I've watched a couple of introductory videos, and the learning curve looks pretty steep (for me anyway).

 

What I have found in Affinity video tutorials John is that several different people may approach the same task differently to essentially get the same result. I've tended to just persist until I find a video that makes the most sense to me and is the simplest version of how to do something before going onto anything more complicated.

 

For example, I'm quite competent now doing straight forward perspective corrections, but with images with more complex distortion issues I'm still figuring out the best way to handle them. I'm going to have to watch some more videos for these issues.

 

I'm using Capture One Express for Sony too so Affinity is basically for any additional tasks I can't do in CO or in the old Aperture software I still use with my Nikon (will be upgrading software when I get a new Mac).

 

I'm particularly looking forward to doing some panorama stitching. All the best with it if you purchase it. It's $38 here in Australia so I was happy to give it a go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm remembering correctly, the paid version of Capture One for Sony has more ways to sort and group photos.  The Express version just has one catalog, but I use LR Classic for that, haven't yet explored Bridge tagging templates.  Best for more complex distortion issues, especially people on the edge of wide angle shots, in my experience is ViewPoint from DXO.  Wait for sales for any of these after doing a trial of them.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sally R said:

 

What I have found in Affinity video tutorials John is that several different people may approach the same task differently to essentially get the same result. I've tended to just persist until I find a video that makes the most sense to me and is the simplest version of how to do something before going onto anything more complicated.

 

For example, I'm quite competent now doing straight forward perspective corrections, but with images with more complex distortion issues I'm still figuring out the best way to handle them. I'm going to have to watch some more videos for these issues.

 

I'm using Capture One Express for Sony too so Affinity is basically for any additional tasks I can't do in CO or in the old Aperture software I still use with my Nikon (will be upgrading software when I get a new Mac).

 

I'm particularly looking forward to doing some panorama stitching. All the best with it if you purchase it. It's $38 here in Australia so I was happy to give it a go.

 

Thanks, Sally. I took the plunge and bought Affinity. I haven't had much time to look at the program yet, but it appears to be an incredible bargain, almost too good to be true. Thanks for the heads-up about the videos. I usually do the same, watch several until I find one that makes sense to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MizBrown said:

If I'm remembering correctly, the paid version of Capture One for Sony has more ways to sort and group photos.  The Express version just has one catalog, but I use LR Classic for that, haven't yet explored Bridge tagging templates.  Best for more complex distortion issues, especially people on the edge of wide angle shots, in my experience is ViewPoint from DXO.  Wait for sales for any of these after doing a trial of them.

Thanks for the tips Miz Brown. Viewpoint from DXO sounds good. I've got a few of those wide angle images with a person on the edge of the frame stretched out as if they are in a crazy mirror. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/03/2021 at 07:20, Sally R said:

 

What I have found in Affinity video tutorials John is that several different people may approach the same task differently to essentially get the same result. I've tended to just persist until I find a video that makes the most sense to me and is the simplest version of how to do something before going onto anything more complicated.

 

For example, I'm quite competent now doing straight forward perspective corrections, but with images with more complex distortion issues I'm still figuring out the best way to handle them. I'm going to have to watch some more videos for these issues.

 

I'm using Capture One Express for Sony too so Affinity is basically for any additional tasks I can't do in CO or in the old Aperture software I still use with my Nikon (will be upgrading software when I get a new Mac).

 

I'm particularly looking forward to doing some panorama stitching. All the best with it if you purchase it. It's $38 here in Australia so I was happy to give it a go.

 

Regarding tutorial videos, I'm working through this chap's course on Affinity Photo. There are 30 episodes, beginning with the absolute basics. I like his calm presentation. It's refreshing not to be yelled at, as often happens on YouTube.

 

 

 

 

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Regarding tutorial videos, I'm working through this chap's course on Affinity Photo. There are 30 episodes, beginning with the absolute basics. I like his calm presentation. It's refreshing not to be yelled at, as often happens on YouTube.

 

 

 

 

Thanks for the tip John.

I'll have a look too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony ALS said:

Thanks for the tip John.

I'll have a look too.

 

Some of the info is maybe a bit too basic, but I find these videos give a really good idea of where everything is and what can be done. Also, I do a lot of the adjustments that he goes over in RAW (Capture One Express for Sony). Still, I need all the help I can get with stuff like this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/03/2021 at 16:52, MizBrown said:

If I'm remembering correctly, the paid version of Capture One for Sony has more ways to sort and group photos.  The Express version just has one catalog, but I use LR Classic for that, haven't yet explored Bridge tagging templates.  Best for more complex distortion issues, especially people on the edge of wide angle shots, in my experience is ViewPoint from DXO.  Wait for sales for any of these after doing a trial of them.

 

+1 for DXO Viewpoint. I use it as a Photoshop plug-in though.

 

wim

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Regarding tutorial videos, I'm working through this chap's course on Affinity Photo. There are 30 episodes, beginning with the absolute basics. I like his calm presentation. It's refreshing not to be yelled at, as often happens on YouTube.

 

Thank you John. I have watched one of his tutorials already when I was looking at perspective corrections, and his was the one I followed as it was easy to understand and as you say a calm presentation. I'll definitely be looking at more of his tutorials.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/03/2021 at 21:35, wiskerke said:

 

+1 for DXO Viewpoint. I use it as a Photoshop plug-in though.

 

wim

 

Out of curiosity, what are the merits of using DXO viewpoint over simply using the guided perspective adjustments in LR or PS ACR? Is the end result different/better, is Viewpoint easier to use?

 

Mark

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

 

Out of curiosity, what are the merits of using DXO viewpoint over simply using the guided perspective adjustments in LR or PS ACR? Is the end result different/better, is Viewpoint easier to use?

 

Mark

 

 

 

I think it is just a little bit better in every respect. And I'm not sure all the things that Viewpoint does can be achieved in Photoshop. Well almost everything can be achieved in Photoshop, but with lots of trial and error. And hunting around for where that damn filter is hiding this time. (Did they hire a bunch of former Sony Camera Menu interface designers?) Photoshop may well have caught up by now. I am on the current versions of both, but I haven't been using most of the features in Photoshop, as I have been using Viewpoint since 1.0. (Currently v3.1.16.) So I may well have missed some improvements. In general the corrected image in Viewpoint had a far more believable (or accurate) perspective than the corrected image in Adobe without further tweaking. Like with Perspective Warp you have to know what a correct perspective looks like.

 

I still use some of the simple functions in Photoshop like rotate Arbitrary with the ruler that has been there since at least v2 I think. And the Perspective Crop Tool if only one side has to be corrected quickly.

So that is the other thing: working in Viewpoint is faster.

It is not without quirks and annoyances though, but what else is new.

 

Having said all that, my requirements may be a bit out of the ordinary because most of my images that I correct in Viewpoint are being shot with tilt shift lenses, or when they are not, I want them to look like they were.

 

wim

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Wim. I find the guided perspective correction in LR/ACR (relatively new feature?) very easy to use, but haven't tried DXO Viewpoint for a while, I must download another free trial sometime.

 

Guided-perspective-correction.png

 

Mark

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.