Time to Vote: February 2021 Doors and Windows Challenge

Vote for the Doors and Windows Challenge  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favorite Doors and or Windows image (does not have to both) Poll closes on the 7th

• Old Man and his Dog - Colblimp
    • The Cloud Forest - Alan Beastall
    • Laundry Drying Veneto, Italy - Brasilnut
    • Brass House Numbers - Wim Wiskerke
    • Waiter Delivery, Spain - Ed Rooney
    • Bookseller, Stockholm - Marianne
    • Cuban Man in Window - Doc
    • Love Letterbox - Phil Crean

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/03/21 at 04:59

This was the most difficult challenge for me to get down to 8.  I had it down to 20 at first and then down to 14 and then 10 but then had to sleep on it to get it down to 8.  So many deserving photos to be in the final 8, I wish I could have had more!! Voting closes on the 7th so please vote!

old-man-and-his-dog-looking-out-of-the-window-of-a-pub-in-coachford-H8YYGD.jpg

the-cloud-forest-a-large-indoor-greenhouse-set-in-the-grounds-of-the-DER84A.jpg

older-woman-inspects-linen-drying-on-ropes-stretched-outside-her-window-venice-veneto-italy-MAYXB3.jpg

123-sign-brass-house-number-sign-in-edinburgh-scotland-123-cut-out-GT7CF8.jpg

a-waiter-delivering-food-at-an-ornate-side-entrance-of-15-calle-guadalquivir-in-seville-spain-the-mercedarians-R99D1J.jpg

bookseller-gamla-stan-old-town-stockholm-sweden-europe-gamla-stan-DHTG01.jpg

cuban-man-head-and-shoulders-portrait-trinidad-cuba-caribbean-latin-DNC6J8.jpg

letterbox-detail-on-front-door-with-writing-saying-only-letters-of-love-solo-cartas-de-amor-in-spanish-and-english-languages-in-santa-cruz-de-la-pa-R1M8T0.jpg

Edited by Michael Ventura

18 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

We have a "horse race" going on here! So please vote if you haven't yet!  I love a close competition but we still have 5 days yet til the poll closes.

Yea! - neck and neck with that Andy character! 

Kumar

16 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

I love your choices, even if I feel like maybe I would have chosen a whole different group. Each one of these draws me in and makes me think. Thanks for giving them the careful eye.

same here.  goes back to what i was saying trying to figure out what the selector is looking for.  i just went through the 8 i would have picked, not one was the same, even more interesting 4 are a different images from one of the selected artists

• Love 1

On 03/03/2021 at 15:02, meanderingemu said:

same here.  goes back to what i was saying trying to figure out what the selector is looking for.  i just went through the 8 i would have picked, not one was the same, even more interesting 4 are a different images from one of the selected artists

I do that too, go through and choose my eight, when I have time. It's so mysterious how and what people choose. That art of curation is intangible.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Your photo is so "everyday" and yet there's something about it that is so compelling. The emotion, a feeling of comfort.

Well thanks Kristen. 

• Love 1

5 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

I do that too, go through and choose my eight, when I have time. It's so mysterious how and what people choose. That art of curation is intangible.

For four years, I was the moderator of an annual travel photo competition (for a North American group of travel writers and photographers) and it would take in about 1,500 submitted images to be juried.  Part of my job was to find three qualified judges to pick the winners.  Each year they would be different people and most were magazine or newspaper editors, who select travel images as part of their work...or I would find travel photographers who were not part of this organization.  These were people who edit at or took travel images for a living.  Well every year, without fail, after the show of the winners was presented, I would hear, "What were the judges thinking?!".  It is SO subjective.  Every year I would think that if I had three different judges, there would be a completely different set of winners.  And they would be rightfully the winners.  As the moderator, I was not allowed to give my own opinion but there were many times I wanted to yell, "What about this photo!!!".

• Thanks 1

...because there's so many criteria to judge a photo on:

• Skill (luck!) in capturing a specific moment in time
  • Technical qualities such as sharpness and point of focus
  • Use of colour
  • Use of patterns / repetition
  • Human interest
  • Lighting - a whole subject on its own
  • Meeting the brief
  • Being unusual in viewpoint or subject or editing
  • Composition - is your eye drawn through the photo to the subject?
  • Non standard composition that isn't rule of thirds or subject not being in the centre of the image

Etc.....

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Steve F said:

...because there's so many criteria to judge a photo on:

•  
  • Meeting the brief
  •  

Etc.....

the interpretation of the brief is also important.  I remember the one month i ran the contest having one image that i loved but ended up cutting from selection because of my then interpretation of the subject.

which also brings one more criteria, which is hard to define, but i'll call Current feel.  I just had a look at my 8 selection from 16 months ago, and if i was to redo it today, I think i might have 3-4 totally different finalists has my interpretation of "Empty" has been altered in last 12 months.... 

• Love 1

13 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

For four years, I was the moderator of an annual travel photo competition (for a North American group of travel writers and photographers) and it would take in about 1,500 submitted images to be juried.  Part of my job was to find three qualified judges to pick the winners.  Each year they would be different people and most were magazine or newspaper editors, who select travel images as part of their work...or I would find travel photographers who were not part of this organization.  These were people who edit at or took travel images for a living.  Well every year, without fail, after the show of the winners was presented, I would hear, "What were the judges thinking?!".  It is SO subjective.  Every year I would think that if I had three different judges, there would be a completely different set of winners.  And they would be rightfully the winners.  As the moderator, I was not allowed to give my own opinion but there were many times I wanted to yell, "What about this photo!!!".

I used to be on film festival committees, lots of them. I felt like the best works almost always rose to the top and the weak ones fell to the bottom. There was general consensus.

I think it's different with photos. They are more subjective and there are far fewer clear markers around what makes them objectively good and bad. The Alamy forum is full of people with good eyes, skills, and tastes. So it does surprise me often what gets chosen. And yet, you can detect when someone has really put some work into it from their selection.

So I would argue that judging/selecting photos is not just a matter of taste. But I can't say much more about what it IS a matter of. Perception, maybe.

9 minutes ago, The Blinking Eye said:

So I would argue that judging/selecting photos is not just a matter of taste. But I can't say much more about what it IS a matter of. Perception, maybe.

Which is one of the reasons to submit!

A different perspective than one's own plus a peak into how others react to the same brief: priceless as the commercial says.

wim

• Love 2
  • Like 1