March 2021 favourite uploads

The Cunnamulla Fella is an iconic Australian bush character in a Slim Dusty's song.

Bronze statue in Cunnamulla, Queensland, Australia

2F2YAWB.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
On 06/03/2021 at 08:55, Bryan said:

Weather miserable and can't travel under lockdown, so I have spent some time reworking old images. The replica Stephenson's Rocket at Beamish museum.

replica-of-stephensons-rocket-steam-locomotive-pulling-train-at-beamish-museum-north-east-england-uk-2EWTA46.jpg

I didn't know the railways had been re-nationalised.

Allan

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I didn't know the railways had been re-nationalised.

Allan

😀

On a note of reality, in fact they effectively have been. Because of the fares collapse the DoT now takes the risk and pays a management fee to the operators.

We'll see what happens...........

We got to this remote Outback pub during a severe storm and camped there. I thought we would never get out of the muddy field, even in 4x4. Lightning fell very close with a big BANG. There was sheet lightning and thunder all night.

Next day, the roads nearby were flooded with red mud but open.

I did NOT crank up the saturation. That was the colour of the water in the sun.

2F381CR.jpg

2F381CT.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
On 15/03/2021 at 10:15, spacecadet said:

😀

On a note of reality, in fact they effectively have been. Because of the fares collapse the DoT now takes the risk and pays a management fee to the operators.

We'll see what happens...........

...and the operators still make a profit, and pay their shareholders a dividend 😖

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56361129

• Sad 1
I don't often photograph pretty landscapes, but here goes.....
landscape-within-a-landscape-large-scenic-photograph-pasted-on-to-site-gates-at-shopping-centre-access-area-stroud-gloucestershire-uk-2F2X3BW.jpg

Landscape within a landscape. Large scenic photograph pasted on to site gates at shopping centre access area. Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, AlbertSnapper said:
I don't often photograph pretty landscapes, but here goes.....
landscape-within-a-landscape-large-scenic-photograph-pasted-on-to-site-gates-at-shopping-centre-access-area-stroud-gloucestershire-uk-2F2X3BW.jpg

Landscape within a landscape. Large scenic photograph pasted on to site gates at shopping centre access area. Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK.

The licence fee for that might have been worth having. If it wasn't half-inched.

I reworked that image. Camping under the stars in the Australian Outback.

2F3G534.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

One new and one pulled out of the files and cropped a bit:

2F3ECRF.jpg

I noticed a search for a cat profile.  One of mine was in the viewed but not zoomed showing, but it was a three quarter view, not a true profile.  I didn't have any true in earlier shots.  Cats don't appear to like them.  So, I got this one of Maude, my cat that has a coat close to the original wild Libyan cat subspecies that was domesticated.   And I cropped two of my cats fighting that had been viewed but never zoomed, trying to get something more dynamic. 

2F3ECRT.jpg

This one was one of those "Gee, why didn't I add that one" sort of photos.  I cropped it a bit since one side had a headlight right at the picture frame and the other side had a stray branch.  Wanted the one headlight to show the time of day.  Shenandoah National Park, Skyline Drive at dusk. 

On 17/03/2021 at 06:32, gvallee said:

I reworked that image. Camping under the stars in the Australian Outback.

Great shot, so atmospheric.  Did you use a flash on the tree?  My wife loves to star gaze, and when we park our caravan in out of the way places, without light pollution, she will always find time after dark to peer at the sky.   I confess to being ignorant of the heavens, I can just about pick out the plough, but that's it.

Koh Phi Phi (Thailand)

Deserted Maya Bay, on Koh Phi Phi Le island, recovering its resplendent natural beauty.

thailand-deserted-maya-bay-on-koh-phi-ph

Loh Dalum (Dalum Bay), on the north-facing coast of Koh Phi Phi Don.

thailand-long-tail-boat-in-lodalum-bay-k

Loh Lana (Lana Bay) on the the northwest coast of Koh Phi Phi Don, reached by long tail boats.

koh-phi-phi-don-island-lana-bay-thailand

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
On 19/03/2021 at 05:40, Bryan said:

Great shot, so atmospheric.  Did you use a flash on the tree?  My wife loves to star gaze, and when we park our caravan in out of the way places, without light pollution, she will always find time after dark to peer at the sky.   I confess to being ignorant of the heavens, I can just about pick out the plough, but that's it.

Thank you. I did light painting with my torch on the tree. Then signalled OH to turn the blue lights off in the bus and continued exposing for the sky for another 20 sec or so.

Edited by gvallee
On 07/03/2021 at 08:27, Sally R said:

A curious kookaburra

portrait-of-a-laughing-kookaburra-dacelo-novaeguineae-2EXAHD4.jpg

My god, that bird looks like Winston Churchill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 20/03/2021 at 05:03, Ed Rooney said:

My god, that bird looks like Winston Churchill.

Ha ha! 🤣  I should have attached a speech bubble with "We shall fight on the beaches..."

I once knew a cat who went by two names, either Winston or Churchill. He lived on my brother's street and was much more like a dog. He was a big fluffy thing who would go up to complete strangers and roll onto his back for a tummy rub. He was later run over by a car and lost a leg but it didn't dampen his spirits at all, and he still galumphed up to people on his three legs for tummy rubs.

• Like 1

Fun to be back out shooting again.  Playing with the new (to me) Canon 100-400 L lens and my new Canon 90D Camera.

portrait-of-a-canada-goose-2F4PNE6.jpg

Jill

• Like 1

last-light-on-the-ice-pack-on-teh-st-law

Last light on the pack ice on the St Lawrence here in Quebec City. Its a shame that there were no clouds to fill in the sky, but its still a lovely scene. Especially as here the spring has arrived 3 weeks early and it was about 14C when we were there shooting.

Edited by Colin Woods
  • Like 4