Images sold in March 2021

Editorial royalty-free. Finland, Book, print and/or e-book. $18.96 net.

mural-graffiti-on-suvilahti-graffiti-wal

Mural graffiti on Suvilahti graffiti wall in Helsinki, Finland. Contemporary and very temporary art form, as they get painted over in days. One of my favorite shooting locations, especially when I lived closer. 

Alamy doesn't seem to mind selling these unlike images of Mission murals (SF) that have been mostly deleted. Just like a good boy should, I left the Exclusive to Alamy -box unticked as this is someone else's work of art.

Edited by JaniMarkus Hasa
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

Just like a good boy should, I left the Exclusive to Alamy -box unticked as this is someone else's work of art.

You’ve completely misunderstood the ‘Exclusive to Alamy’ box.  As Paul says, that box is only relevant if the picture is for sale at another stock agency. 

One final thing, please stop posting the exact price you get for each sale. This forum isn’t private so buyers could have a look and see how much pics sell for and try and use those figures to negotiate cheaper prices for themselves. 

• Love 2
  • Like 3
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

Alamy doesn't seem to mind selling these unlike images of Mission murals (SF) that have been mostly deleted. Just like a good boy should, I left the Exclusive to Alamy -box unticked as this is someone else's work of art.

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/10925-commission-change-announced-in-email/?do=findComment&comment=198641

Quote from Alamy:

"Images of artwork

Images of artwork in context can be marked as exclusive. The general rule of thumb is that the artwork can’t take up any more than 1/3 of the image frame."

As the artwork takes up more than 1/3 of the image frame, presumably not to be marked exclusive.

Also, ditto Andy's comments, not a fan of giving exact prices...

Edited by Steve F
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

You’ve completely misunderstood the ‘Exclusive to Alamy’ box.  As Paul says, that box is only relevant if the picture is for sale at another stock agency. 

Unfortunately, he hasn't. There has been many discussions about it on this forum. 

Quote from Alamy: 

"If your collection contains images of artworks these can never be marked as Exclusive to Alamy, unless you're the artist."

Do a search on the Forum but this statement was extracted from this post

I could be wrong, but the conclusion of all the discussions was that a pic of a 3D artwork could be exclusive not not a 2D unless it occupies less than 1/3rd of the image.

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, PAL Media said:

Surely you would untick this box only if you had this image for sale elsewhere!!!??? (another stock agency)

Not so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

"If your collection contains images of artworks these can never be marked as Exclusive to Alamy, unless you're the artist."  

-The importance of being accurate with marking images as "Exclusive to Alamy"

Edit: Just to make sure; I did not give the red arrow to Colblimp. Not my way of communicating.

Edited by JaniMarkus Hasa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gvallee said:

Totally agree.

I'm assuming that the assumption on Alamy's part is that if you have taken a picture of an artwork without showing any context, there is a high likelihood that almost identical images of the artwork are likely to exist elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, Steve F said:

I'm assuming that the assumption on Alamy's part is that if you have taken a picture of an artwork without showing any context, there is a high likelihood that almost identical images of the artwork are likely to exist elsewhere.

Some here do not accept this definition of "exclusive" and do not apply it to their submissions.

19 minutes ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

I agree. I get it in the sense that it really isn't my piece of art, but what I don't get is why Alamy should get 60 % instead of 50 %.

Because your image cannot be exclusive if identical images exist elsewhere.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Some here do not accept this definition of "exclusive" and do not apply it to their submissions.

Yeah, I've noticed that. It makes one feel like a fool to obey rules that other's aren't. Hence the "good boy" part in my original message.

13 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Because your image cannot be exclusive if identical images exist elsewhere.

That may be the case with Mona Lisa, but it really doesn't apply to (most of the) street art which is very temporary art form by nature. Also, stocks are full of nearly identical images of famous buildings, street views and sculptures. So, that may be the reasoning behind this rule, but it is not very logical or coherent.

Anyways, my image was bought and I'm pretty sure it was the only one available. 

• Love 2

View of St Mary Woolnoth, the Hawksmoor designed parish church, at the corner of Lombard Street and King William Street, London

View of  St Mary Woolnoth, the Hawksmoor designed parish church, at the corner of Lombard Street and King William Stock Photo

Editorial
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 150,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: Spot size
Start: 16 March 2021
End: 16 March 2026
Print run: 175,000; Quarterly; Territory: UK plus Up to 10% distributed overseas
  • Like 1

To be perfectly honest, I don't care if I receive red arrows any more, it's just a red arrow and means nothing in the greater scheme of things.

Anyway, back on topic, an Upday sale just dropped in - 2F03W67.

cork-ireland-6th-mar-2021-around-700-people-attended-an-anti-lockdown-rally-held-in-cork-city-centre-today-gardai-were-prepared-for-any-trouble-with-officers-in-the-city-centre-from-1030am-credit-ag-newsalamy-live-news-2F03W67.jpg
Edited by Colblimp
Added Image ID
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

To be perfectly honest, I don't care if I receive red arrows any more, it's just a red arrow and means nothing in the greater scheme of things.

It wasn't from me Andy.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

-The importance of being accurate with marking images as "Exclusive to Alamy"

Edit: Just to make sure; I did not give the red arrow to Colblimp. Not my way of communicating.

Do we think, or does Alamy think, that street/wall graffiti is an artwork? 

• Love 2

One of a couple of tiny $ distro web editorials

Country: Worldwide ; Usage: Editorial ;  Media: Editorial website ;  Industry Sector: General business services ;  Start: 01-February-2021 ; End: 01-February-2026 ; Additional Details: Czech Republic, Editorial website; Bulk discount, flat rate

emirates-airbus-a380-jet-airliner-plane-a6-euv-taking-off-in-bad-weather-from-london-heathrow-airport-uk-super-jumbo-against-cloudscape-2D13B2M.jpg

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Colblimp said:

No, it also applies to 2 dimensional "artworks" if seen as a straight copy. I had long and involved negotiations with Alamy about images of postage stamps. Nothing to do with copyright issues but they apparently count as "artworks" and cannot be sold as exclusive. 

Edited by Phil Robinson