Urgent Help DACS and finding images

Hi All

Its 1130pm at night here in Sydney and I have a few minutes to make my part 1 DACS claim

Having a complete mental blank - long day in the office hasn't helped 

Question what do I enter into google books to find my images ?

I normally know this having done it before - but it isn't working for me tonight

thanks

19 minutes ago, Foreign Export said:

Hi All

Its 1130pm at night here in Sydney and I have a few minutes to make my part 1 DACS claim

Having a complete mental blank - long day in the office hasn't helped 

Question what do I enter into google books to find my images ?

I normally know this having done it before - but it isn't working for me tonight

thanks

Try your name and/or pseudo.

1 hour ago, Foreign Export said:

thanks got that happening now - next problem DACS brings up prior claim but won't allow me to edit it or enter new ISBN 

time for sleep I think

No. You have to create a new entry. Good luck!

Edited by losdemas

2 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

To save missing the deadline for the next claim I would compile a list or spreadsheet of any and all uses you find during the year.

I create a copy of my spreadsheet for each new annual claim and add all new publications as I find them.  That way I don't have to waste time looking for usages just the most recent ones.

I agree with David, treat DACS as an ongoing activity, and now and again when you have a few spare minutes do some searches and add to the spreadsheet for next year.

We need clarity about the newly introduced URL component of the scheme - which URLS earn anything and how much is it worth? The answers will hopefully become clear later in 2021 and then there will be plenty of time to work on that aspect of it. For mags and books just keep it on the back-burner throughout the year. 

Edited by geogphotos

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/02/2021 at 17:06, geogphotos said:

Part 1 has closed bang on 17.00.

I was still copying in URLs and it just shut down on me! 

Can't do anything more now. 

🍺

Did you always hand in your homework at the last minute too?

On 08/03/2021 at 09:46, Richard Baker said:

Did you always hand in your homework at the last minute too?

Dog ate it 😁

But no I work on DACS all year ( from time to time). But being thick I didn't think of taking out a subscription to an image reverse engine service until the last day. And then got deluged with new URLS. I think I got most of the most relevant ones listed on DACS before the chop came. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Care to share which?

Copytrack is free so I started there.

You can upload 1000 images to Copytrack to get started. So the ones in the Alamy sales spreadsheet that are for Web Use were the first ones I uploaded.  ( I couldn't get their FTP to work).

Then I tried Pixsy on the last day and it found a load more because it 'imported' all my Photoshelter images ( 67,000). Easy Peasy.

It was all a bit last minute but worth a try I thought. 

We will have to see how the DACS URL thing works.

Edited by geogphotos

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/03/2021 at 11:27, geogphotos said:

Copytrack is free so I started there.

You can upload 1000 images to Copytrack to get started. So the ones in the Alamy sales spreadsheet that are for Web Use were the first ones I uploaded.  ( I couldn't get their FTP to work).

Then I tried Pixsy on the last day and it found a load more because it 'imported' all my Photoshelter images ( 67,000). Easy Peasy.

It was all a bit last minute but worth a try I thought. 

We will have to see how the DACS URL thing works.

Hi geogphotos - I'm wondering if you can answer a question about Copytrack? I've checked their website and can't find the answer, and have emailed them but not heard back yet. My question is: do you have to allow copytrack to chase every infringement (since that is how they earn their money) or are you given the opportunity to decline their help? There are some cases where I would rather handle it myself (for example I once had an image stolen and used for a preschool website. I didn't want to go in heavy handed or threatening because I suspected they genuinely didn't understand that what they had done was wrong. I sent an email myself and they removed the image immediately. 

1 hour ago, Gina Kelly said:

Hi geogphotos - I'm wondering if you can answer a question about Copytrack? I've checked their website and can't find the answer, and have emailed them but not heard back yet. My question is: do you have to allow copytrack to chase every infringement (since that is how they earn their money) or are you given the opportunity to decline their help? There are some cases where I would rather handle it myself (for example I once had an image stolen and used for a preschool website. I didn't want to go in heavy handed or threatening because I suspected they genuinely didn't understand that what they had done was wrong. I sent an email myself and they removed the image immediately. 

It is your choice whether you start a Claim or not. 

I am not sure if Copytrack is worth it in terms of making Claims. They have a sort of infringement calculations system which I didn't really understand. Then they basically told me that they only real feel comfortable asking for high $$ a case. I have read reviews which say that all they basically do is send out request emails and then give up.

Pixsy adopts a much harder initial stance to its Cases ( different terminology) which seems to make the infringer wince and wet their pants......

But so far it is all 'in progress'.  I don't know which approach works best or at all.

Back to your question. Copytrack offer an image research search engine for free and without obligation.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

It is your choice whether you start a Claim or not. 

I am not sure if Copytrack is worth it in terms of making Claims. They have a sort of infringement calculations system which I didn't really understand. Then they basically told me that they only real feel comfortable asking for high $$ a case. I have read reviews which say that all they basically do is send out request emails and then give up.

Pixsy adopts a much harder initial stance to its Cases ( different terminology) which seems to make the infringer wince and wet their pants......

But so far it is all 'in progress'.  I don't know which approach works best or at all.

Back to your question. Copytrack offer an image research search engine for free and without obligation.

Thanks! That is all very helpful - much appreciated!

19 hours ago, K J Bennett said:

Please educate me: what is DACS?

Since you are new so presumably not opted out Alamy will do your claim and take their cut. You will see some extra income in the Fall. 

Paulette

22 hours ago, Gina Kelly said:

I've used Copytrack for a few years. It takes time for infringements to work their way through their system. In the first year I had one payout, this last year I have had 5. There are many more still pending. It is totally up to you to submit a claim for anything found. It is very useful to keep track of the usages that need to be reported through Alamy, which can often be missed. It very much depends on the country that the infringer operates from how likely Copytrack will pursue something following their initial approach. If it's a misuse in the UK or USA or some European countries, then they have legal representatives that they work with. I had one misuse by a website in the Netherlands, who chose to pay damages for it rather than for a license for its use, but then continued to use the photo, so they ended up paying damages again before they got their act together to remove the photo! I am awaiting the outcome of a misuse in the USA - Copytrack are registering the copyright with the copyright office with the intention to pursue further legal action. I put the claim in 2 years ago, so it is a long drawn out process. But, like Alamy, they won't chase the 'scraper' news sites that come and go or personal websites or blogs. Hope that is helpful.

I upload all my news images, and images that have been sold or zoomed. They will raise your upload limit if needed.  

Edited by Sally
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Sally said:

I've used Copytrack for a few years. It takes time for infringements to work their way through their system. In the first year I had one payout, this last year I have had 5. There are many more still pending. It is totally up to you to submit a claim for anything found. It is very useful to keep track of the usages that need to be reported through Alamy, which can often be missed. It very much depends on the country that the infringer operates from how likely Copytrack will pursue something following their initial approach. If it's a misuse in the UK or USA or some European countries, then they have legal representatives that they work with. I had one misuse by a website in the Netherlands, who chose to pay damages for it rather than for a license for its use, but then continued to use the photo, so they ended up paying damages again before they got their act together to remove the photo! I am awaiting the outcome of a misuse in the USA - Copytrack are registering the copyright with the copyright office with the intention to pursue further legal action. But, like Alamy, they won't chase the 'scraper' news sites that come and go or personal websites or blogs. Hope that is helpful.

I upload all my news images, images that have been sold or zoomed. They will give raise your upload limit if needed.  

Very helpful Sally - thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...

I assume that the benefit of doing DACS yourself is that it is more thorough than relying on Alamy to do it for you, and you get a better return? Does this imply that Alamy doesn't have the resource to do it justice or is it more of a % profit issue? I'm not sure that I have the stamina to do all tracking down independently.

7 minutes ago, Jansos said:

I assume that the benefit of doing DACS yourself is that it is more thorough than relying on Alamy to do it for you, and you get a better return? Does this imply that Alamy doesn't have the resource to do it justice or is it more of a % profit issue? I'm not sure that I have the stamina to do all tracking down independently.

On the contrary, Alamy will claim for more uses because it has the information- but to make up for the commission the claim would have to be worth double, and it's nowhere near that for most of us. I recall some years ago getting canvassing emails from Alamy quoting the number of items it could claim for, and IIRC I found about 75% of that number myself. The extra third wouldn't even get the claim into the next bracket. I no longer get those emails.

I check uses from time to time throughout the year and it's not too time-consuming- but then my claim is in the low three figures. You only need to check uses that would qualify for DACS, of course.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Jansos said:

I assume they are doing it for you now and, as far as I know, you cannot change that. You had to opt out quite a while ago. They take their 50% plus an undisclosed amount for their trouble. I had done it myself for a couple of years but had 20% taken out for your taxes and getting that waived is actually expensive so I am happy to pay the extra for Alamy to save me the trouble. I don't get a lot.

Paulette

• Love 1

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

I assume they are doing it for you now and, as far as I know, you cannot change that. You had to opt out quite a while ago. They take their 50% plus an undisclosed amount for their trouble. I had done it myself for a couple of years but had 20% taken out for your taxes and getting that waived is actually expensive so I am happy to pay the extra for Alamy to save me the trouble. I don't get a lot.

Paulette

Thanks, good to know - not that I'm that keen on doing it myself but does that mean that once you are 'in' you can never opt out?

5 minutes ago, Jansos said:

Thanks, good to know - not that I'm that keen on doing it myself but does that mean that once you are 'in' you can never opt out?

There have been situations in the past where a contributor has made their own claim, even under the 'new' contract, and Alamy, having been informed has withdrawn their claim for that contributor. For example, a contributor could be non-exclusive to Alamy.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, geogphotos said:

There have been situations in the past where a contributor has made their own claim, even under the 'new' contract, and Alamy, having been informed has withdrawn their claim for that contributor. For example, a contributor could be non-exclusive to Alamy.

OK, thanks! 🍺