Reportage or Archival- what is the benefit and can you add this designation to images after upload?

Tawna Brown

Question

Hi all!

In preparing a new batch of images, several of them are from a newsworthy past event (there was news media and this got national attention, even some international attention).  I've already uploaded some images from this event in the past but did not check off "reportage or archival" upon upload.  Can I add "archival" designation to my images after the fact (after they've been uploaded?)  

However, with my new batch- that I'm preparing to upload, I'd like to know, what happens if I check this box off (for the images that are "archival" (i.e. news event from 3 years ago).?  Do they go to a different place than all of my other images, or will they still all appear with my other images that have the same keywords?  Is there a benefit for me to even check this off?  (There wasn't a ton of news media present due to the remoteness of the event, so I do have some great images by being there myself).

I was planning to upload right now, but I realize with this question I have, I didn't want to until I got clarity on the "Reportage/archival" option.

Thank you!

Tawna

I've sold images uploaded as Reportage, some long after upload, some closer to initial upload, so I don't think it hurts their rank.

I'd agree the advantage is the 600-character limit on the caption if you need a longer explanation and the disadvantage is that it will say the image could have imperfections if, in fact, your image could easily pass QC. It's a good way to get newsworthy images up quickly if you don't have Live News privileges. 

I think @geogphotos gave you the best advice, just make a decision and upload. I know that I went through years where I agonized over RM or RF for some images, whether to add them to micro as well as Alamy, and the end result was delay in getting images online. Don't worry about being "ready," just get them online. Good luck!

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Niels Quist said:

- and a comment to earlier posts about something I forgot I was aware of until recently:

The Reportage images that go right through QC  can be seen right after using the link:

alamy.com/[image-id]

You can probably also create a lightbox - and tweet necessary text and these images - even directly to news offices, if they are following you.

But you may, of course, already know this.

Niels

Niels, I have investigated this, likely to be very useful when I have an image/s that would benefit from instant exposure. No waiting for database updates.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Marianne said:

I've sold images uploaded as Reportage, some long after upload, some closer to initial upload, so I don't think it hurts their rank.

This is something @geogphotos may be able to validate.  He has images of the River Avon flooding recently uploaded both as Stock and as Reportage.  He may be able to do searches that are equally weighted, so using only words that have similar profile "Caption, ST and/or regular KW " that haven't sold see if there is a pattern in where they appear in results based on type of upload. 

• Love 1

On 17/02/2021 at 19:50, meanderingemu said:

that would be exact (in theory) Since image loaded as Reportage do not get reviewed for QC, Alamy will not look at them as a proof of quality upload.  Stars rating is based on passing QC..  

it sure is taking a long time (and a couple 100 photos in thus far- all having passed)....

9 hours ago, sooth said:

@Alamy I think this is broken, can somebody verify? I uploaded 9 pieces of reportage on Wednesday morning EST, waited for the Thursday morning db update, but the database never properly updated........

That's the 'new normal'. It's a shame that images can go for days without being available to licence and you would have thought that such would be a priority to be improved by @Alamy but seems not, sadly.