Related rather than exact keywords appearing in searches

Question

I've just noticed two images I took of albatrosses coming up in two searches when looking at customer search activity. The two search terms in each case were "peterson birds" and "peterson bird". The word "peterson" is not in either my keywords or captions for either image. However, the albatrosses were photographed on Paterson Inlet at Stewart Island in NZ.

So a non-exact keyword "peterson" has brought up my images with "paterson" as a keyword. I was always under the impression that you had to be precise, such as using beach and beaches if you wanted the plural searched for, but it seems that however the Alamy algorithm for searching works it can bring up similar words that might not even be among the tags you use. Maybe this is to try and maximise results that might fit for customers, or account for spelling errors.

I guess what is slightly off-putting about it is that it means images may be appearing in searches for which they are not relevant, which in turn is not so great for CTR. I just wondered if other people see their images appearing in searches for which they are not relevant and involving tags they haven't used? I don't mind if it happens occasionally, but wouldn't want it to happen too often.

2 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, Sally R said:

I've just noticed two images I took of albatrosses coming up in two searches when looking at customer search activity. The two search terms in each case were "peterson birds" and "peterson bird". The word "peterson" is not in either my keywords or captions for either image. However, the albatrosses were photographed on Paterson Inlet at Stewart Island in NZ.

So a non-exact keyword "peterson" has brought up my images with "paterson" as a keyword. I was always under the impression that you had to be precise, such as using beach and beaches if you wanted the plural searched for, but it seems that however the Alamy algorithm for searching works it can bring up similar words that might not even be among the tags you use. Maybe this is to try and maximise results that might fit for customers, or account for spelling errors.

I guess what is slightly off-putting about it is that it means images may be appearing in searches for which they are not relevant, which in turn is not so great for CTR. I just wondered if other people see their images appearing in searches for which they are not relevant and involving tags they haven't used? I don't mind if it happens occasionally, but wouldn't want it to happen too often.

Suspect typo? I can see "peterson inlet" in the keywords of 2B68CC8 and 2B68C10. Although "peterson" appears in a phrase, Alamy does return partial matches of phrases too.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
54 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Suspect typo? I can see "peterson inlet" in the keywords of 2B68CC8 and 2B68C10. Although "peterson" appears in a phrase, Alamy does return partial matches of phrases too.

Mark

Oh no, that's my bad! You are right, there is a typo in the keywords but not the caption. How embarrassing 😳 I will fix it now. Sorry Alamy!

• Like 1