February 2021 Favourite Uploads

1 hour ago, Sally R said:

I love your live concert images Olivier. It is something I would like to try more of. Do you have a particular lens that you use most often, such as a 70-200mm? I actually used my Tamron 90mm macro lens to take some recently as it is a fast and sharp lens, but need to do more work to get up to your standard of images. I'm dreaming of a Nikon Z or similar in the future. There is meant to be a very good 70-200mm f2.8 for the Z but also very expensive!

Thank you Sally!

Concert photography is not the easiest thing to do these days… 😉

Most of my concert images (like this one of Asaf Avidan) have been taken with my good old 80-200 f:2.8 (something like 30 years old and very noisy screw drive Minolta lens). I love that lens. Fast, accurate, sharp, nice bokeh, great colors… Lightroom gets rid of the chromatic aberration in most cases. The barrel is all metal so it is virtually indestructible and it can also be used as some kind of weapon if needed 😂. I also have the much more recent Tamron 70-180 f:2.8 which should be a nice alternative to my aging Minolta but will probably not last this long…

For concert photography, I always put the same gear in the bag:

• 2 full frame cameras mounted on a Blackrapid double breathe harness (one with a telephoto in the 70-200 f:2.8 range, the other with a wide angle lens)

• 80-200 f:2.8 for "portraits" (maybe the Tamron in a near future)

• 24-70 f:2.8 to get the whole band, or the stage, or musicians when they come close enough

• 16-35 f:2.8 for the public or musicians that I expect to come very close (especially some rock / metal bands who are known to play with photographers)

• 15mm fisheye f:2.8 to get unusual perspectives

• 85 f:1.4 because sometimes 2.8 just ain't enough…

• Ear protection / accreditation / lens hoods!!! 😅

A few examples below…

Typically the 24-70 or the 16-35

simple-minds-performing-live-2EE2XEA.jpg

amazing-audience-at-musilac-festival-WPD

Typically the 80-200

japanese-band-bo-ningen-performing-live-

scissor-sisters-performing-live-jake-she

deep-purple-performing-live-bassist-rogeeditors-performing-live-singer-tom-smith

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Olivier Parent said:

Thank you Sally!

Concert photography is not the easiest thing to do these days… 😉

Most of my concert images (like this one of Asaf Avidan) have been taken with my good old 80-200 f:2.8 (something like 30 years old and very noisy screw drive Minolta lens). I love that lens. Fast, accurate, sharp, nice bokeh, great colors… Lightroom gets rid of the chromatic aberration in most cases. The barrel is all metal so it is virtually indestructible and it can also be used as some kind of weapon if needed 😂. I also have the much more recent Tamron 70-180 f:2.8 which should be a nice alternative to my aging Minolta but will probably not last this long…

For concert photography, I always put the same gear in the bag:

• 2 full frame cameras mounted on a Blackrapid double breathe harness (one with a telephoto in the 70-200 f:2.8 range, the other with a wide angle lens)

• 80-200 f:2.8 for "portraits" (maybe the Tamron in a near future)

• 24-70 f:2.8 to get the whole band, or the stage, or musicians when they come close enough

• 16-35 f:2.8 for the public or musicians that I expect to come very close (especially some rock / metal bands who are known to play with photographers)

• 15mm fisheye f:2.8 to get unusual perspectives

• 85 f:1.4 because sometimes 2.8 just ain't enough…

• Ear protection / accreditation / lens hoods!!! 😅

Your concert images are outstanding Olivier! Sharp and clear with no visible noise and capturing fantastic expressions and actions. It makes you feel part of the action looking at the photo, almost as if you could walk into the image and actually be there. Having had a go at it recently I can really appreciate that it isn't easy to achieve those things in concert situations with often limited light. I can see why the harness is a good idea and having two camera bodies. Great to know about your different lens options for different scenarios.

But yes, not much opportunity for this kind of photography at the moment. We are very lucky here with mostly no community transmission, so I was able to attend a concert on the south coast recently. We still had regular reminders over a loudspeaker to socially distance though. It may be a while yet before big concerts at large venues happen again. I saw U2 at a large stadium here in Perth in November 2019 with about 50,000 people. That now seems like another lifetime in a parallel world.

I think the awesome thing about concert photography is capturing a performer in full creative/expressive flow. It's amazing to capture those moments in time.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Sally R said:

Your concert images are outstanding Olivier! Sharp and clear with no visible noise and capturing fantastic expressions and actions. It makes you feel part of the action looking at the photo, almost as if you could walk into the image and actually be there. Having had a go at it recently I can really appreciate that it isn't easy to achieve those things in concert situations with often limited light. I can see why the harness is a good idea and having two camera bodies. Great to know about your different lens options for different scenarios.

But yes, not much opportunity for this kind of photography at the moment. We are very lucky here with mostly no community transmission, so I was able to attend a concert on the south coast recently. We still had regular reminders over a loudspeaker to socially distance though. It may be a while yet before big concerts at large venues happen again. I saw U2 at a large stadium here in Perth in November 2019 with about 50,000 people. That now seems like another lifetime in a parallel world.

I think the awesome thing about concert photography is capturing a performer in full creative/expressive flow. It's amazing to capture those moments in time.

Thanks a lot Sally!

Most of the time, we are allowed to shoot during the first 3 songs without flash, that's the general rule. Sometimes only the first song. And sometimes only one specific song during the body of the show. You may drive/walk/wait for hours and only get 2-3 minutes of shooting so it is important to know how you are going to make the whole thing profitable. Capturing fast moving subjects in very low light can be tricky but that is part of the fun! Full frame sensors really shine in that area. On the other hand, capturing a decent image of someone standing behind a microphone that hides half of his face can also be tricky 😂… The problem with big concerts is that, between the security guys in front of you and the security barriers behind you, there can be 20+ photographers in the pit trying to get a picture, which considerably reduces your ability to place yourself where you want 😄 (and also reduces your ability to sell your images afterwards…). Having 2 cameras/lenses helps a lot! Having identical camera bodies with identical settings is also a thing to consider when you need to be quick. The harness also helps your back, shoulders and neck when you carry your gear something like 12 hours a day for several days (festivals, reportage…). If you do not work for a local newspaper or a magazine, you may have a hard time getting an accreditation for large venues. And be aware that a lot of bands do not allow independent photographers at all nowadays. You also may be asked to sign a paper granting the artists with all the rights on your images, "in perpetuity and for the entire universe"… Or to have them validated before you can use them. The nice thing with big concerts is when you know the photographers around you and some become friends. When all are nice and respectful of each other, everything becomes a lot easier for everyone.

Edited by Olivier Parent
7 hours ago, Olivier Parent said:

Thanks a lot Sally!

Most of the time, we are allowed to shoot during the first 3 songs without flash, that's the general rule. Sometimes only the first song. And sometimes only one specific song during the body of the show. You may drive/walk/wait for hours and only get 2-3 minutes of shooting so it is important to know how you are going to make the whole thing profitable. Capturing fast moving subjects in very low light can be tricky but that is part of the fun! Full frame sensors really shine in that area. On the other hand, capturing a decent image of someone standing behind a microphone that hides half of his face can also be tricky 😂… The problem with big concerts is that, between the security guys in front of you and the security barriers behind you, there can be 20+ photographers in the pit trying to get a picture, which considerably reduces your ability to place yourself where you want 😄 (and also reduces your ability to sell your images afterwards…). Having 2 cameras/lenses helps a lot! Having identical camera bodies with identical settings is also a thing to consider when you need to be quick. The harness also helps your back, shoulders and neck when you carry your gear something like 12 hours a day for several days (festivals, reportage…). If you do not work for a local newspaper or a magazine, you may have a hard time getting an accreditation for large venues. And be aware that a lot of bands do not allow independent photographers at all nowadays. You also may be asked to sign a paper granting the artists with all the rights on your images, "in perpetuity and for the entire universe"… Or to have them validated before you can use them. The nice thing with big concerts is when you know the photographers around you and some become friends. When all are nice and respectful of each other, everything becomes a lot easier for everyone.

Edited 5 hours ago by Olivier Parent

Thanks for the info Olivier. Being vertically challenged (short) I think I might get squashed in the pit at a big gig 😬  Although, as you say, it is nice if the photographers have got to know and are respectful of one another. I think I'll just practice honing my skills but won't get up to your level of professionalism anytime soon. If I was to be carrying gear around at a festival I would definitely consider the harness. I've seen a bird photographer using a harness before for a telephoto lens. It must be tough if you know you only have 1 to 3 songs to get some decent images and it would make you be ultra prepared. Anyway, look forward to seeing more of your concert images 😀

17 hours ago, Pekka Liukkonen said:

These are some of the beautiful buildings of the Suomenlinna fortress island in Helsinki Finland:
pink-and-orange-colour-buildings-on-suomenlinna-fortress-island-in-helsinki-finland-2EJXW0H.jpg

I like the faded paint so much better than if they were freshly painted. Makes one think more of the longevity of the buildings.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, gvallee said:

Yesterday's day trip to the Great Barrier Reef

2EP37XE.jpg

2EP37MT.jpg

2EP39FR.jpg

Beautiful. Gen, did you ever wonder why the horizon of the sea has such a deeper blue? That puzzled me in my St. Croix pictures until I decided it was probably deeper water color change. Is that it?

4 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Beautiful. Gen, did you ever wonder why the horizon of the sea has such a deeper blue? That puzzled me in my St. Croix pictures until I decided it was probably deeper water color change. Is that it?

I don't have the answer to that Betty. The reef was very beautiful, the whole palette of blue and turquoise hues.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, for sure it is the deeper water giving the darker looking water.  The sun reflecting off the shallower bottom creates the hues.  As the sun gets low in the sky, you don’t see the hues so much.

On 27/02/2021 at 02:56, gvallee said:

Yesterday's day trip to the Great Barrier Reef

2EP37XE.jpg

I can see you on board controlling your drone. Must have been a bit tricky getting it back on board.😲

Allan

This made the 'Picture Diary' in one of the local rags, but hasn't sold on Alamy yet.  2EJ3WWW

timoleague-west-cork-ireland-21st-feb-2021-a-grey-heron-ardea-cinerea-stands-guard-in-its-nest-near-timoleague-as-its-partner-sits-on-the-eggs-to-incubate-them-herons-usually-lay-3-5-eggs-which-hatch-after-approximately-3-12-weeks-credit-ag-newsalamy-live-news-2EJ3WWW.jpg

Since there's a discussion about music photography, here's a pit pic from Coventry Godiva Festival in 2017.
photographers-pit-at-godiva-music-festival-2017-coventry-uk-JJ7WYN.jpg

And one of Baz Warne of The Stranglers at the same festival.
coventry-uk-7th-july-2017-the-annual-coventry-godiva-music-festival-JGJWX7.jpg
Edited by Colblimp
7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I can see you on board controlling your drone. Must have been a bit tricky getting it back on board.😲

Allan

Ha ha, not a drone pic, was too busy already with the GoPro + DSLR and 2 lenses.

A classic drone beginner's mistake from a boat is to use the RTH (Return To Home) function. The boat has drifted since its original GPS position and many a drone have been seen plunging into the water...

Edited by gvallee
12 hours ago, gvallee said:

Ha ha, not a drone pic, was too busy already with the GoPro + DSLR and 2 lenses.

A classic drone beginner's mistake from a boat is to use the RTH (Return To Home) function. The boat has drifted since its original GPS position and many a drone have been seen plunging into the water...

Do you have a really long monopod or were you just on a taller boat?😀

13 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Do you have a really long monopod or were you just on a taller boat?😀

I was in a crow's nest 😜

In that boat

2EP39JN.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Haha 1

There won't be many times each year that the stars align, but a little luck gave...

sun-setting-behind-dp-world-london-gateway-port-cranes-at-stanford-le-hope-on-the-thames-estuary-while-two-people-walk-back-to-shore-at-low-tide-2EPKY91.jpg

Not the sexiest of subjects but we don't have many prominent landmarks around here that could be used in this way.

• Like 2

Colourful Snow Moon rising behind the Crystal Palace transmitter, London (Nikon Z7/500mm lens).

london-uk-27-february-2021-full-snow-moon-rises-behind-the-219-metre-tall-crystal-palace-transmitter-tower-in-south-london-note-foreground-power-cables-have-been-digitally-removed-on-this-image-credit-malcolm-parkalamy-2EPP0AC.jpg

Edited by Malcolm Park
additional info
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple from me.

Green Lane in winter

green-lane-in-winter-cherry-willingham-2EJ4C91.jpg

St Peter and St Pauls church Cherry Wilingham in winter

st-peter-and-st-pauls-church-cherry-wilingham-in-winter-2EJ4E2R.jpg

Allan
Edited by Allan Bell