A photographer has been arrested in Kent whilst photographing things to do with asylum seekers, Kent and burning flames.
Comments on the "story line" welcome.

Arrest of photographer at Kent protest raises press freedom fears

Andy Aitchison tells Guardian of concerns after being held in custody for seven hours

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jan/30/arrest-of-photographer-at-kent-protest-raises-press-freedom-fears

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

Literally just about to post on this. Seems like a blatant attempt to cover up independent, objective reporting of a news item in order to prioritise govt agenda. Will be interesting to see how (if) other papers report on this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The NUJ has just sent an email to all its press card holders reminding us of the strict terms for holding and using a press card.  They also remind us that a press card can be revoked at any time.

Here is a paragraph from a long communication

“Remember only to use the press card on occasions when you are reporting an event. Do not use your press card when your involvement in an event is other than as a reporter and observational role – for example, you cannot use your card if you are organising an event orpresent as a protestor or activist”

5 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

The NUJ has just sent an email to all its press card holders reminding us of the strict terms for holding and using a press card.  They also remind us that a press card can be revoked at any time.

“Remember only to use the press card on occasions when you are reporting an event. Do not use your press card when your involvement in an event is other than as a reporter and observational role – for example, you cannot use your card if you are organising an event orpresent as a protestor or activist”

The plot thickens.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, IanDavidson said:

I’d have thought that last part was stating the bleedin’ obvious - whether you are official press or not if you do any kind of news coverage or press it would be extremely unprofessional to impart your views either by action or by speech during the event. This is part of the IPSO guidelines as well, effectively to be free of bias while acting in a professional capacity. 

Edited by Cal
  • Like 2
35 minutes ago, Cal said:

I’d have thought that last part........

It could indicate that there is another side to the story. It's very easy for us to be on the photographer's side regardless, whereas maybe the police did see something of a line crossed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

The plot thickens.

I don't think there's anything significant connecting this email and Andy's arrest. And I hope there's no insinuation that he might have been using his card inappropriately. Of course there are always two sides to every story but I know him and can assure everyone he is as bona fide as they come.

Richard.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

The plot thickens.

It’s likely the NUJ statement related to recent events, but if so which one? Remember there was also another photographer who had been covering London HS2 protests for a week. The police/bailiffs refused to recognise her NUJ press card and issued her a COVID fine as they disputed she was working. Eventually more will be known, so we shouldn’t jump to conclusions. 

I’ve previously spent most of a day covering a fracking protest in Lancashire. I spoke to some of the protesters at their roadside hut/tea room, and while they were telling me how they were kettled during the night as transport entered the drilling site. I accepted a cup of tea, but I was never marked as being associated with the protestors, which I wasn’t . In the similar circumstances I would now go thirsty. Hopefully instances like this won’t be misinterpreted in the current climate. I also spoke to the police present asking when the transport might leave, as what goes in has to come out. Eventually they did and it got very lively after an arrest, with police about to use pepper spray. Mostly I kept to myself during lulls in the action. Was an interesting day. But will covering events like this again be safe, and I’m not a press card holder.

Edited by sb photos
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, sb photos said:

It’s likely the NUJ statement related to recent events, but if so which one? Remember there was also another photographer who had been covering London HS2 protests for a week. The police/bailiffs refused to recognise her NUJ press card and issued her a COVID fine as they disputed she was working. Eventually more will be known, so we shouldn’t jump to conclusions. 

I’ve previously spent most of a day covering a fracking protest in Lancashire. I spoke to some of the protesters at their roadside hut/tea room, and while they were telling me how they were kettled during the night as transport entered the drilling site. I accepted a cup of tea, but I was never marked as being associated with the protestors, which I wasn’t . In the similar circumstances I would now go thirsty. Hopefully instances like this won’t be misinterpreted in the current climate. I also spoke to the police present asking when the transport might leave, as what goes in has to come out. Eventually they did and it got very lively after an arrest, with police about to use pepper spray. Mostly I kept to myself during lulls in the action. Was an interesting day. But will covering events like this again be safe, and I’m not a press card holder.

If anything is learned from this, I'd say that one should not associate with protestors (as SB has just said) as much as we might have. Who knows whether in future accepting a cuppa would be seen as fraternising??

Richard.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, IanDavidson said:

1 hour ago, Avpics said:

It could indicate that there is another side to the story. It's very easy for us to be on the photographer's side regardless, whereas maybe the police did see something of a line crossed.

45 minutes ago, Richard Baker said:

I don't think there's anything significant connecting this email and Andy's arrest. And I hope there's no insinuation that he might have been using his card inappropriately. Of course there are always two sides to every story but I know him and can assure everyone he is as bona fide as they come.

Richard.

All very interesting. Do the NUJ know something we don't? What we need is a journalist on the case...

Andy has posted tonight that charges and bail conditions have been dropped. As for the rest of us though, always be prudent.

Richard.

Edited by Richard Baker
Grammar
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, SShep said:

At the very least, a full apology should be forthcoming. Really the whole matter should be investigated to find out who was/is responsible, why the police were initially determined to pursue the matter and assurances should be made that nothing of the sort will ever happen again.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
On 04/02/2021 at 11:03, Cal said:

I’d have thought that last part was stating the bleedin’ obvious - whether you are official press or not if you do any kind of news coverage or press it would be extremely unprofessional to impart your views either by action or by speech during the event. This is part of the IPSO guidelines as well, effectively to be free of bias while acting in a professional capacity. 

maybe different in the UK, but where i am in Canada we have a whole industry of "Journalist" who are actively part of the story angle greatly influenced by our southern neighbour.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

maybe different in the UK, but where i am in Canada we have a whole industry of "Journalist" who are actively part of the story angle greatly influenced by our southern neighbour.  

One of the problems for many papers is source dependence -- which was the reason the Watergate story was broken by crime reporters and not the DC political reporters, and why the NY Times got snookered into supporting the invasion of Iraq for which it apologized later.

In most of the South, the press was not in the least bit free of advertiser and political interference.  Jesse Helms started as a local TV host who got a graduate student pulled from teaching after some girl complained to her parents that she had to read Andrew Marvell's "To His Coy Mistress." 

I tend to rely on the BBC for international news. 

• Like 1

Let’s hope legal action is taken against the police for false arrest, property theft etc.  The actions of the police were utterly appalling. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1