2 hours ago, Cal said:

I have, the Tamron too. However I quite often read that in terms of sharpness they aren't much different to a crop from the Sony 70-400. I can say that the 70-400 is very sharp indeed, 2D51K3H is a significant crop and still maintained sharpness, and that was on APS-C. I just wish my A77ii gave much more consistent results but after spending months blaming myself I tried the 70-400 on my A99 and suddenly found my keeper rate shot up, despite a much more primitive AF system. That has unfortunately left me craving the superior FF sensor quality for long lens work and as such has landed me in this predicament. Preliminary thoughts are that I'll end up with an A7iii, a 200-600 and a 1.4x but that's a long way off yet finances wise... meanwhile I will hone my skills. 

I tried the Tamron 150-600 (V1) with an APS-C camera (A77) and I have been disappointed.

Then I tried it on a FF camera (A99ii) and I decided to give it a second chance.

Of course, this $800 lens will never compete with a $10,000+ fast prime, but for such an affordable and lightweight lens it is not bad.

The Sony 200-600 is a better lens in every way.

Edited by Olivier Parent
16 hours ago, Cal said:

I have, the Tamron too. However I quite often read that in terms of sharpness they aren't much different to a crop from the Sony 70-400. I can say that the 70-400 is very sharp indeed, 2D51K3H is a significant crop and still maintained sharpness, and that was on APS-C. I just wish my A77ii gave much more consistent results but after spending months blaming myself I tried the 70-400 on my A99 and suddenly found my keeper rate shot up, despite a much more primitive AF system. That has unfortunately left me craving the superior FF sensor quality for long lens work and as such has landed me in this predicament. Preliminary thoughts are that I'll end up with an A7iii, a 200-600 and a 1.4x but that's a long way off yet finances wise... meanwhile I will hone my skills. 

Wondering whether it would be worth hiring one just to see how you like it......

Carol

6 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Wondering whether it would be worth hiring one just to see how you like it......

Carol

Never thought of that but would be a good idea, assuming that still goes on with Covid floating about.

22 minutes ago, Cal said:

Never thought of that but would be a good idea, assuming that still goes on with Covid floating about.

This company are very reputable and looks like they have the 200-600mm😉

https://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/search?lens_type=Super-telephoto

Even pre Covid it was all done via post.....

Carol

Edited by CAROL SAUNDERS
change of wording