19 minutes ago, Webby said:

I've flat lined! Not one sale yet this month. Zooms are well down, and CTR. I'm still doing regular uploads. Hope theres a last minute flurry this week. On a positive note, I do know of one book sale I'm waiting to see reported. :(

Only a few days to go this month and I too will have flat lined for two months running. My zooms and views are up a bit above my normal average as is my CTR but, frustratingly, sales are not.

1 hour ago, Dave Richards said:

Only a few days to go this month and I too will have flat lined for two months running. My zooms and views are up a bit above my normal average as is my CTR but, frustratingly, sales are not.

Still a week left.  Let's hope we all see a surge of some sort!

• Love 1

Someone is looking for square shots of the Shenandoah National Park, assume that must be for calendar use.  I do have a few scans from film that are square, so added SQ and square format to the tags since the metadata won't have this for scans, I don't think.  No zooms, no licenses for March.  I did have two in January and two in February, all object photographed inside my houses (one in the second house, three in this one). 

I seem to be bucking the trend with a significant uptick in both Feb and March, 9 sales across those two months with a bit left to go. Fees however are another story, an almost continuous decline with my most recent being for the grand total of just over 2$ for a worldwide in perpetuity licence.

As ever the kinds of images I am selling don't tend to involve people (apart from one of a certain character who appears at protests which is a repeat seller), proving that you need to have a port full of people doing things to make sales is a myth.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Cal said:

I seem to be bucking the trend with a significant uptick in both Feb and March, 9 sales across those two months with a bit left to go. Fees however are another story, an almost continuous decline with my most recent being for the grand total of just over 2$ for a worldwide in perpetuity licence.

As ever the kinds of images I am selling don't tend to involve people (apart from one of a certain character who appears at protests which is a repeat seller), proving that you need to have a port full of people doing things to make sales is a myth.

It is a bit of a myth, unless of course you're a news, sports, or "lifestyle", etc. photographer. Out of  my15 sales so far this month, only one image has a person in it. Mind you, she is doing something.

Edited by John Mitchell

49 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

It is a bit of a myth, unless of course you're a news, sports, or "lifestyle", etc. photographer. Out of  my15 sales so far this month, only one image has a person in it. Mind you, she is doing something.

With 19 sales so far this month, a little more than half have people in them.

3 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

With 19 sales so far this month, a little more than half have people in them.

You obviously choose the right people to photograph. 😎

You're also an excellent people photographer. It's a gift, as they say.

• Love 2

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

You obviously choose the right people to photograph. 😎

You're also an excellent people photographer. It's a gift, as they say.

Thanks John. Not so sure its a gift.  Since I got into shooting for magazines way back in the early 80s, I had to get over my fear of photographing strangers....magazines love human interest in photos (newspapers too but I haven't done as much newspaper photography).  The magazines I work with now, give me assignments that are almost always of people or have people in them.  The rare shoots I get that are without people, I actually really enjoy, no pressure to make someone look good. 😅

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Like 1

I am regularly getting 1 or 2 sales each month, which is probably not even that bad with port under 2000 images, most of them landscapes that are not exactly best seller.  It is hard making a sale & it will get harder and harder.   Alamy is in general quite unpredictable, but methinks you need diverse port of decent size, with good metadata, and good Alamy rank (very important) to have any sort of success here

18 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Thanks John. Not so sure its a gift.  Since I got into shooting for magazines way back in the early 80s, I had to get over my fear of photographing strangers....magazines love human interest in photos (newspapers too but I haven't done as much newspaper photography).  The magazines I work with now, give me assignments that are almost always of people or have people in them.  The rare shoots I get that are without people, I actually really enjoy, no pressure to make someone look good. 😅

You've obviously put a lot of effort and time into developing your people-photography skills, Michael. I didn't mean to imply that they just fell from the sky. When I was doing a lot of freelance travel writing and illustrating my own articles, magazine and newspaper editors always asked for people pictures. This helped me to overcome some of my reticence in that department. I've always especially admired portrait photography. It's a wonderful skill/talent to have. You've got some really nice, natural-looking portraits of people in your collection.

• Love 1

Thanks John! Didn't take your comments in any bad way.  I do like photographing people, for the most part, though some can be a pain in the butt.  But I am people person, I enjoying learning about the people I photograph and finding common denominators.  I find that people are more comfortable when they know that I am interested in them as a person and not just a photo subject.

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Out of the first 40 images I sold after joining Alamy, 16 included people. A lot of repeats.

I too have a number of repeat-licensers where people (or a single person) are the main focus. Usually they are "doing something."

Guess I've gotten lazy in my old age. People photography can be challenging.